M

My Forum for steel kitchen cabinets from 40s 50s 60s & beyond

postwar-steel-intro-photo.jpg

steel125.jpgI launched a new feature on the blog a couple of days ago. Click here to see the new –> Postwar Steel forum where you can buy and sell vintage steel kitchen cabinets.

Take a look, and you will see that it’s entirely focused on vintage steel kitchen cabinets: Buyers, sellers, owners & curious fans alike.

So far, I’ve identified 30+ different brands of steel cabinets from the postwar period.

I am very confident that, over the next several years, the demand for these incredible vintage cabinets will really boom. It’s a pain to find them, haul them, repaint them, reinstall them…yes…but the results are priceless.

I would love it, if readers who already own the cabinets will contribute to the forum. Please feel free to:

• Let me know if you have a brand not listed – I really want to complete this archive listing
  • Add photos of your kitchens – photos are super easy to upload
  • Add info you have on your cabinets – for example, the cover of a brochure, if you have it
  • And, add listings for cabinets you might see in your local craigslist

I am really eager to catalog all the existing brands for all of us to enjoy and share. Thank you!

CategoriesCabinets
  1. Kmb says:

Hi- my husband and I just found a youngstown metal cabinet and double metal sink set at a salvage yard yesterday for $20. We liked the look but don’t know anything about this style. Luckily you all are hear so we can learn more and turn them into beautiful kitchen cabinets. Several questions…what is the best way to repaint these cabinets. We live in a rural area and were just thinking about taking them to an automotive body shop to get some of the dents out (they are pretty beat up) and painted. It is also missing a cabinet drawer and several of the boomerang handles. I am also interested in purchasing some top cabinets if anyone has some for sale or knows of a link. I applaud this forum and appreciate all the knowledge y’all share. Thanks!

2. pam kueber says:

Kmb — see the Forum https://retrorenovation.com/forum for Youngstowns for sale. This is not a DIY site, but you can see the category Kitchens/Steel Kitchens for some stories about folks sharing their refurbishing experience. Please also be aware there can be lead in the paint of these old cabinets. Get informed and consult with professionals so that you can make informed decisions. Good luck.

3. Donna says:

I have metal cabinets in my 1954 house and want to keep them, But they had been painted several times. I stripped them down to the bare metal. I’ve decided to leave them as is but I want them to have a shine. What do you suggest?

4. Donna says:

5. Donna says:

Do you know what kind of attachment is being used (attached to drill)? What kind of finish does that leave? I tried using a buffer pad to polish or give the metal a little shine. I will try the EZ Prep, denatured alcohol and ProtectaClear.
    Thanks!

6. Andrea says:

I’m wondering if anyone knows how to remove a st Charles cabinet door without ruining or marring it? I’ve got a really nice set in my house but one cabinet is missing a door. I’ve not been able to find a replacement so thought I might as well take the other one off too. Any ideas?

7. pam kueber says:

bmvh, this is not a DIY site per se, but we do have some stories featuring readers who have had these repainted in different ways. Start going through our category Kitchen Help / Steel Kitchens to get to the stories.