A

After five years of searching, Bob finds his midcentury sofa at Macy’s

Macy's Corona sofa
Macy’s Corona sofa
Update Aug. 31: I saw this 1950s T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for Widdicomb sofa on ebay. Very similar to the line of Macy's sofa - don't you agree! - Pam
Update Aug. 31: I saw this 1950s T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings for Widdicomb sofa on ebay. Very similar to the line of Macy’s sofa – don’t you agree! – Pam

Reader Bob sends in this great find from Macy’s:

Hi Pam,

First, want to say how much I enjoy your site. Okay, now my story! I’ve been looking (for the last 5 years!) for a suitable mid-century couch for my den. I’d been hoping to find a vintage one, but that never worked out. Then, while looking at Design Within Reach, I stumbled across the Bantam Sofa which was exactly what I had been looking for. Unfortunately, their design certainly isn’t within MY reach, so I kept looking. You can imagine my surprise when I came across an almost identical sofa at Macy’s, of all places. It’s called the Corona, and I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. Not only is it stylish and comfortable (great for naps!), it’s well made and someone said it “looked like it was stolen out of Rob and Laura Petrie’s living room!” That’s exactly the look I was going for! The good news about this sofa is the price. The Bantam is $1750.00. I got my Corona on sale for $630.00 (it’s almost always on sale.) It’s available in several colors, most of which I found unappealing. I got mine in “stone” which is basically gray. Thanks for the great site and all the great ideas!
Bob

Thanks, Bob! Great sofa, very nice lines! And I love how your gray sofa looks with those pink curtains. Pink-and-gray is a great color combo! Personally, I also like the Paprika (orange-red) color offered for the sofa, but then, burnt orange is my favorite color.

Bob's grey example. He points out that it's hard to see the button tufting, a great feature, in this photo. And says: "Also in the picture, you can see a bit of my step end tables and what I think may be a Harris Strong lamp. My den is very much a work-in-progress, so please pardon the patched plaster!"
Bob’s grey example. He points out that it’s hard to see the button tufting, a great feature, in this photo. And says: “Also in the picture, you can see a bit of my step end tables and what I think may be a Harris Strong lamp. My den is very much a work-in-progress, so please pardon the patched plaster!”

1. mims says:

I love this set! I have a small living room and just ordered the loveseat and chair in the dark brown. Unfortunately, Macy’s inexplicably doesn’t deliver to my part of the country (although we do have Macy’s here), so I had to have it delivered to my parent’s house several states away. I loved the look of these pieces (and the price) so much that it was worth it, though.

2. Jan says:

I agree, nice sofa! I’d like to buy Danish for my living room and found what’s called a daybed on urbanoutfitters.com. It comes in red, natural and gray and sits on a wood frame. I already have a Danish dining room set with buffet. And I have two of the step end tables, a dresser and desk and chair in blonde. Roomandboard.com has table lamps that resemble those of the Fifties. They come in light blue and light orange (don’t remember the original color names).

3. Barb Scott says:

We just purchased the Corona sofa in the pear color for our living room. The Macy’s furniture store that we bought it thru in Columbus, Ohio also have some sweet recliners on clearance for a little over $350.00 apiece. The basil color nicely compliments the pear color of the sofa and the lines and piping on the chairs and sofa are nearly identical. The recliners also came in a red fabric as well as one with purples.

4. SueT says:

After reading Bob’s story, I took a look at Macy’s website then went down to the local store. I was so excited because I too have been looking for a sofe just like this one. When I saw it on the display floor among many other modern sofa selections, this one really stood out, especially in the green fabric. I anxiously sat down to test it’s comfortability. My heart just sank. The cushions had absolutely no body to them. They smashed down to nothing. To put things into perspective, I weigh 150 lbs. Most of the other sofas had high density foam or coil-reinforced cushions, but this one did not. I also checked the integrity of the sofa itself and it wasn’t made with the highest quality craftsmanship. OK, it’s a verrrry nice looking piece and the price is right, but I don’t think it would stand up to much wear. The search continues…

5. katybug says:

We have two of these sofas in beige, and a year later we’re still quite happy with them. Our only wish is that we had not gone with the beige upholstery, it’s already showing wear on the arms.

6. christa says:

I’m frantically trying to decide if this is the sofa for me before the sale ends. Scared to go too light, scared to go too boring, scared of choosing a color. My walls are a pale beigey yellow and I have a dusty pink sitting chair….the rest of the room has splashes of orange and blue. Someone tell me how to choose the color!!! Accent pillows? Throws? Or just let the piece speak for itself? Confusion….also, worried about the wearing…hm.

7. pam kueber says:

Christa, sounds to me like you should choose the sofa color that appeal to you… then adjust your room around it. Suggestion: Make yourself a mood board. Take pictures of your LR either as one shot or een better, piece by piece … take screen shots of the sofa in each color … then put them together on Power Point; that’s what I do. When you see the various colors together, this might help you eyeball what works best. And, don’t be frantic: I tend to think: There is ALWAYS another sale at Macy’s.

8. Pamela says:

After seeing this posting last year I went to Macy’s and bought the Corona sofa and chair. Sofa is the oatmeal color and I went out on a limb and bought the chair in paprika! I, too, had been searching for a mid-century modern sofa for quite some time. I was SO excited to see this one. After ordering but before mine was delivered, I would stop in at Macy’s and sit on the display, grinning to the salesperson while proclaiming “I bought one of these!” Wish I was at home, I’d post a pic of my retro-apartment-in-progress. Pam

9. Mike says:

I’ve been looking for a blue sectional for 5 years! Blue is everywhere in mid-century modern homes, magazines, etc. But I cannot find a blue couch/sectional for sale. Perfect world, I would love a Contemporary or Modern sectional in blue leather!