rectangular-bargello-pillow-from-jonathan-adler

Update: I received on of these pillows for a gift. I seriously recommend that instead of buying these Adler pillows, you seek out vintage. Vintage bargello pillows have much tighter stitching — I think they are exponentially more beautiful — and way cheaper, too!

Original story: Bargello needpoint pillows were this week’s big learning for me. If you don’t have the time to look for vintage, and you have a little dough re mi to play with, head straight for all the mid-mod Bargello needlepoint pillows available from Jonathan Adler.

These pillows are bold punctuation marks to pull all of the colors in your room together. Adler has lots of oranges, teals and blues in this line, and a few “colors of the rainbow” designs. Unfortunately — no orange and danish modern mint for Rebecca… nor any orange and avocado for the fans of this classic 60/70s color combination. One tip: Vintage or new, be sure not to go all “square” look for rectangles like this, too, to add variety. Link: Bargello needlepoint pillows from Jonathan Adler.

1. BungalowBILL says:

Beading looms, Whimsy Dip, a liquid plastic you’d dip twisted pieces of wire in to make flowers. Mod Podge. The Ronco Bottle Cutter and the Rhinestone and Stud Setter. wood burning kits, “antiquing kits”. Cutting metal cans into sharp strips and curling them into little chairs. Geez..it’s amazing I still have all my fingers. Oh and don’t forget crocheting granny squares for groovy vests.

2. pam kueber says:

oh my goodness – whimsy dip. i had that! i loved that. wood burning kits, too — the smell! i recognize pretty much EVERYTHING everyone has mentioned so far. Keep it comin’ this is so fun!

3. gavin hastings says:

Am I dating myself by mentioning wreaths made from stapled IBM cards and sprayed gold?
    Fun-Flowers/Creep-y Crawlers, a Univac and a dozen other crafty toys which could easily burn the house down or at the least harm a sibling?

4. BungalowBILL says:

Leathercraft, Christmas trees made from folded readers digests,, “stained” glass with lead in a tube, layering colored sand in a jar, glass wax snowflakes on the windows. Paper tole, potholder looms and loops….

5. BungalowBILL says:

that reminded me of filling a milk carton with crushed ice with a wick in the center, filling it with hot wax, and when you take it out it was a lacy holey candle. The dough made from salt, flour and water and then you baked it, and the other clay made from white glue and white bread. I bet Jonathon Adler is stealing all these ideas. We’ll be seeing whimsy dip flowers for sale on his website soon. Anyone make a bleach bottle pig?

6. pam kueber says:

I now just came back to the blog from dinner, where I drank two glasses of wine. Bleach bottle pig! Jonathan Adler stealing all these ideas! BB, that is the funniest comment EVER!

7. pam kueber says:

Tissue paper “paintings” made by layering the tissue paper with fabric softener. I have a story about this one, also, that I will tell some time. Also from the 5th grade.

8. Shane says:

Oh! Oh! I got one! Hook rugs and Shrinky Dinks! And I had a kool car molding kit, where you plug it in and drop an ingot (in navy blue, harvest gold, green and orange of course) into a cup. You ran the race car mold thru the thing and the gears would dump the plastic into the mold….VIOLA! Instant race car LOL and I’ve still got it. My son uses it now!

9. MrsErinD says:

Ah the crafty 70’s, boy do I miss that we loved doing all those things!

Remember those funky leather bracelets you would stamp a flower or something and your name in then color it and it snapped close? Ha my Hubby still has his. And all the cute holiday stuff my Mom made, oh wish I had them now.

10. madsarah says:

Jewelry made from “gems” polished in a rock tumbler and held together with those cheap gold-colored prongs. This is a fun conversation! Pam, you should do another one sometime on “scents” of the 60s and 70s if you haven’t already (Love’s Baby Soft, Charlie, Enjoli…).