The most popular laminate design in mid century America? Boomerang Formica? Nope, guess again. According to materials expert Grace Jeffers, the most popular design was actually linen. You know what I’m talking about — that kind of tight-to-medium-weave with nubblies stuff. I had it both my bathrooms with vanities. In pistachio green = absolutely iconic. Now, it’s great to add this new laminate to our Retro Renovation laminate countertop arsenal: A close-enough proxy to vintage linen laminate, three shades of Hemp, from Arborite.

Hemp and Linen come from similar plants – so the laminate is close, but different, too. The Arborite Hemp design appears to me tighter and most notably — to have no nubblies (“slubs” is, I think, the official term, but I like to make up my own words), compared to vintage Linen laminate (see photo of the vintage stuff, below). But like I said, close enough, especially as there are currently no other similar alternatives on the market that I know of. Of course, I do wish that the colors were more decisively retro. The three Hemp colors, to me, seem like kind of – greyed-out 60s / 70s…. I’m sure, in some sort of assessment regarding today’s broad consumer market. Even so, that Sun Washed Hemp is doing a nice version of harvest gold. For a 1970s kitchen Retro Renovation, I’d be All Over It. And the Weathered Hemp — actually has a greenish tone when I look at the larger, 4″x6″ samples that Arborite kindly sent me. The Earthen Hemp = kind of a mushroom brown. Neutral, I guess you’d say. Critical tip: Get a big sample and try it out in your space before you marry it.

Above: A photo of vintage red linen laminate — taken at an estate sale time capsule I visited.

It also looks like this Arborite also comes in a variety of finishes. And: Readers have asked whether laminate can be purchased at low-medium-high quality. On the Arborite product page, they point out you can choose from three thicknesses — I am going to deduce that: Thicker is better. Note, the thickest cannot be thermoformed — that is, heated and bent/rolled into shapes (like a rounded edge).

Overall: It’s great to have this new laminate selection to add to our choices.

Link love:

CategoriesCountertops
  1. Shane Walp says:

Well, since I’m not a hippie, I stay away from “hemp” LOL But I’m happy someone is doing this. I do prefer it over boomerang, definitely. Wish they’d do some reds and light greens…..

2. Deb says:

Pretty, if not colorful enough. Thanks for sharing, Pam. 🙂 And speaking of linen, I believe that is what our kitchen counter laminate is…and it’s green! I’ll snap a pic first chance I get.

3. Ellen says:

What? The most popular Iaminate design wasn’t boomerang Formica? Hmph! We remodeled the kitchen in our 1960 house (replacing a bad 90’s remodel) and put in orange boomerang Formica. We love it! We also took the tile off our terrazzo floors and replaced two jalousie windows that were in terrible shape – with jalousie windows. I love the 1960 look. I’ve added you to my blogroll so I can keep up with what’s going on – you do a great job!

4. jill says:

i love the look of the laminate top lined with that metal edge, i wish they had it in a sunshine yellow. my one concern would be how to clean the grim and would be bacteria from the crease inbetween the two w/out causing damaging to either material. suggestions anyone?

5. Maggie says:

My countertop is also linen in pale green. I thought it was an 80’s abnormality in my otherwise 50’s kitchen. ( Like the scary built in microwave and hideous dishwasher.)

6. kristinski says:

My parents house had this in green and my mom had a formica cuntertop put over it in the 80s. Does anyone know if it’s possible to remove the formica and save the laminate underneath?

7. We had linen laminate in the kitchen, and still have it (in sunshine yellow, Jill!) in our main bath. I’m trying to find a good marmoleum pattern in blue to work with this very intense color. With our white ceramic fixtures, we think warm cream-colored walls and gray-brown paint on the cabinets will work, but it’s tricky, and it sounds ghastly when I read this description. We hope it will look good. I’ll be doing this this coming winter, I hope. Pics when it happens!