95 colors of pink tile for bathroom repairs and replacementUpdate: World of Tile has now closed. I’ll leave this story up, for a while at least, to show some of the cool stuff they had.

You know how Palm Springs Stephan and I always caution that when you go looking for “1950s pink”, you must be careful and know that there were many shades of pink on the market back in the day? Well, here is hard evidence: I went for a second visit to World of Tile — that magical mystical mid century time capsule tile store, in Springfield, New Jersey — and Chippy let me poke around, absorb some more, and take additional photos. Back in the “replacement tile” area, I actually took the time to count the number of different pinks in their big long file box. There were 95 different shades and finishes of vintage pink bathroom tile. 95!

light pink bathroom tile for a 1950s bathroom

There were “Light Pinks”, up in the front.

vintage pink bathroom tile

There were even more “Shinny [sic] Pinks” in the middle. Yes: That would be ‘shiny’ as in glossy.

mottled pink bathroom tileThere were “Satins” and “Crinkly’s”. I forgot to pull out some crinklies to check out what the heck that means. Mottled? I spent about seven hours, in all, at World of Tile this second visit. DH wanted to go see. He walked around with his mouth hanging open and his head spinning. I was in more control, given this was my second visit. But I still was missing some of my processing faculties.

We took Chippy to lunch at the Route 22 Diner, to thank her.

95 colors of vintage pink tile
A tower of pink tile. Be still my heart.

95 colors of pink bathroom tile is pretty impressive, don’t you think? I am not sure if it beats 1,062 different sizes of hudee rings, though.

1. SAMI SCHINDELHEIM says:

So what did they do with all the tile when they closed? I’m looking for a color called Pink Orchid (1938).

2. Bill R. says:

I thanked you Pam, in the other site.

But I hunted you down because I didn’t find your name 🙂

My roommate dropped her fine perfume bottle which broke off half the black 4.25″ retro toothbrush holder.
    ( I told her, “…. no problem sweety, I’ll fix it right up” ( yeah right ?!)

All anyone said was.
    “Sorry sir” 🙁

I can’t wait to meet Chippy, the store said they have just what I need :•)

I love Women !!
    they are so detailed, lol

1. pam kueber says:

You’re welcome. Are you going to World of Tile? It’s a FABULOUS place! Remember to tell Chippy “hi” for me!

1. Wm. Rios says:

…..you know that I am…

(….thinking)

(I wonder if true love is just as easy to find. I wonder if there’s a store for that too ….??)

ok, where was I ? Ah, yes!!!

XO to Pam
        xO to Chippy

3. Colleen McGhee-French says:

Pam,

You and Chippy are both goddesses. Because of you, I knew where to send my 1954 peachy-pink sample to have it matched to replace the wall where the radiator had been.

And Chippy came through with AN EXACT MATCH. I figured she would, given 95 colors of vintage pink tile, but our contractor wanted to send his “tile guy” to all the regular tile places around here (Boston) to try to match it. I knew he wouldn’t, and asked for one of the half-tiles they had to gouge out to send to Chippy. After they’d exhausted their search and failed, they sent my tile to Chippy. It really is, AN EXACT MATCH. I will send pictures if you want.

Still mourning the loss of our pinky-peach American Standard 1954 toilet due to low flow rules,

CMF

4. Kristin says:

Went to world of tile today for 240 pink tile replacements. The guy told me the price is $12 each. Each! Went down the road to another tile place and they have the pink match for the 1950s pink I needed for $1 each. Jasco’s on route 22. They match perfectly.

5. Jean Gelardo says:

Question:

My mother needs to repair her 1954 shower tile.

She will need at least three (Roman Mosaic Tile Co) 6″ x 9″ PINK TILES.

The 6 x9 size tile is what seems to be the difficulty.

Any advice as to how we should go about this??

Jean

1. pam kueber says:

See instructions in the story. You need to send World of Tile a sample. Call first so even see if they have 6x9s.

Comments are closed.