T

The most popular colors for mid-century bathrooms? Take our poll!

These 1949 Briggs bathroom fixtures — tub, sinks and toilet — are the same design that I had in all three of my original 1951 bathrooms. And: I had two bathrooms full of this green. In fact, I tend to believe that this shade of green was #2 in popularity behind Mamie Pink throughout most of the 1950s. But let’s get all scientific-like and start collecting data. Henceforth, I invite you to take our two official polls, which seek to answer the urgent question: What were the most popular tile and bathroom fixture colors for mid-century bathrooms?

Also, please feel free to leave a comment with more information about your original bathroom(s). It’s for Science, mind you. Thanks for playing!

1. Barbara says:

I just bought a house with pink tiles around the tub and on the vanity. Built in 1953, I am just the 3rd owner (my son was the 2nd) and it is has had very little remodeling–thank heaven. I just yanked out the 80’s tiles in the kitchen and replaced it with formica with metal trim (had to order it from NY). The pink bathroom stays, of course, with a new retro floor of confetti like vinyl. Having a blast!

2. Molly says:

In the three mid-century houses I’ve lived in, I’ve had two soft green bathrooms, a soft pink, a soft blue, and a hideous pinky-brown. The pinky-brown was actually in the mother-in-law suite in the basement, so I’m wondering if it may not have been original.

3. Elisabeth says:

I lived in a 1950s dorm for two years. Each room had its own bathroom that had colored tile that coordinated with the tile in the main room.

First room had dark red main tile, and kind of soft pink/brown/tan tile for the shower and brown/tan variegated tile on the floor.

Second room had dark green tile on the main room and light green tile for the shower and dark green variegated tile for the floor.

Other rooms have grey floors with blue tile in the bathroom, and tan floors with brown tile.

All appliances in the rooms are white, but I’m pretty sure the toilets are newer. The sinks and the tubs are all original, including two sets of faucet handles….so strange! The campus used to be a hospital and you find the same thing in the old un-remodeled ca 1950 hospital bathrooms. I can’t for the life of me figure it out. Some even have two faucets and two sets of handles.

4. John says:

Hoping to find Briggs Beautyware fixtures to replace the cheap crap currently in my bathrooms. Briggs beautyware is what was originally in my house. Getting the project file from the building of my house has provided a wealth of information. I can work towards setting the house back to its original state. =)

5. Lee says:

The Kohler website once published a timeline of popular bathroom colors through the decades. I haven’t looked to see if it’s still there but it was a great resource for basic color matching to older homes.

6. Kathy says:

My house was renovated in 1962 and the powder room is Mamie Eisenhower pink tile with matching Kohler pink fixtures and the kitchen backsplash is the same pinkish tile. The floor is mud-set white-speckled light pink and darker pink random mosaic tile.

The main bath is citron yellow, with nearly matching tub, toilet and sink (they are all Kohler– just a tad dirtier color). The floor is 1″ square mosaic tile with white grout and is unlike anything I’ve seen–a heavily textured mottled yellow with tiny striations of white and grey. It is really pretty and the bath is very cheerful. And I have a white with gold glitter countertop in there too!