UPDATE: Congratulations to our winner, Vanessa, whose number came up and is new owner-soon-to-be of this TP delight! ENTRIES NOW CLOSED. Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful bathroom stories! I think I will do a round-up of my favorites – ’twill be hard to choose! We’re giving away a rare and wonderful vintage toilet paper holder. <– Seriously: Where else on the interblogs would you ever read that sentence? This giveaway is made possible by Renovation Goddess Christy in Bellevue, WA, who scored it at the Goodwill and is excited to see it go to a happy home.
Dear P & K,
Tonight at Goodwill I rescued a Hall Mack Conceal-a-roll device, never installed, no box but has paper instruction sheet which says “printed in USA 10/76. I’d like to give it to a special someone: My ’90s craftsman doesn’t deserve it!
Do you want it… or know someone who does? I’d love to be the Renovation Goddess making someone’s dream come true.
Notice the “later” Hall Mack logo. Design appears identical to older models.
I only paid $5.99 and am just too lazy to go the selling route. Being generous is a bigger thrill for me than making money! The reward for me is placing something fabulous in its rightful recessed slot in the universe.
— Christy in Bellevue, WA
Wow, Christy,How sweet of you. We can do a giveaway on the blog. Do you realize this is worth some dough re mi on ebay right now? I think I even recall one selling for
$200$500? Tempting to the Goddess to go for the cash?
I’ll accept your gift of shipping costs. Money in my mythical vintage rescue fund!
Bellevue, WA, is a few suburbs east of Seattle. Lots of little starter homes from Boeing influx in 50s & 60s. The techie influx (reflux?) is encroaching on the modest to make way for McMansions.
At least this mighty Conceal-a Roll was set free! It’s crazy sturdy & solid… thick chrominess, honest galvanizing and satisfying thunky hinge.
See above pic for last night’s other Goodwill finds. Lotsa pepper still in the anthropomorphic fork. The House Beautiful August 1960 issue analyzes Japanese aesthetic. Shibui=unostentatious beauty. Ironically accompanied by ads for French Provincial switch plates!! I’m now searching for more Midwinter Staffordshire… maybe still in the back at Goodwill???
I found your blog awhile ago and am reading it in order from Day One (like my Netflix Columbo binge!) Your daily drops of Beauti-Vue make my synaesthetic senses reel!
Yay, Pam and Kate!
How to enter to win the Conceal-A-Roll toilet paper holder:
- To win, you must be a subscriber to our newsletter (Yes, this is “what’s in it for the blog” — you can opt out at any time after the contest ends.)
- To enter, use the Comment field on this post below and tell us a funny bathroom story. Or why you think we’re so fascinated by toilets and bathrooms. Or how about, a toilet poem. Or story. Or whatever. We’re giving away a woddity toilet paper holder!
- One entry per person. Lower 48 U.S. delivery addresses only.
- Entries close on Thursday, Oct. 8, around 5 p.m. Eastern— that is, we will lock down the Comments field at that time.
- Prize: The Hall-Mack Nutone Conceal-A-Roll toilet paper holder shown here.
- We will choose the winner via the Random Number Generator at random.org. We will email that person. [Tip: Be sure you enter your email address correctly in the email field of the Comment form.] The winner will have five business days to respond. If we do not hear from them, we will choose the next person who commented. Lather, rinse, repeat. We will post the winner’s first name as soon as all is confirmed.
Many thanks, Christy! May the Retro Decoration Gods smile upon you all your days.