R

Retro Renovation® by Wilsonart boomerang laminate — now available online at Home Depot

retro renovation home depotboomerang laminate home depotboomerang laminate wilsonartboomerang laminateBreaking News: Wilsonart just let me know that our new Retro Renovation® by Wilsonart boomerang laminates — all seven colorways — are available via Home Depot including online. Prices appear to be the best I’ve ever seen for Wilsonart Virtual Design Library laminates — and shipping is free to store correction: free to your home! To get to the laminates, I went to HomeDepot.com then searched Retro Renovation Wilsonart. The laminates came right up.

For this story, I took screen shots of the available sizes. A 48″x 96″ (4′ x 8′) sheet is $123.36, while a 60″ x 144″ (5′ x 12′) sheet is $231.29.

As usual, though, if you want to see samples first (please, do, before ordering), you get them free online directly from >> Wilsonart’s Virtual Design Library.

And note: On the Wilsonart VDL site, the laminates are listed as available in both Vertical (thinner, for walls, backsplashes, etc., I guess) and Horizontal (thicker, for countertops) applications. Check your order before you throw down that credit card! I looked at a couple of the Home Depot listings — they all seem to be for the Horizonal/countertop application; again, though, do your own checking!

retro boomerang laminate

Read all the stories about the new collection, “Retro Renovation® by Wilsonart,” here.

Disclosure: I want readers to know: I do not make money if you buy this laminate; “the deal” that I have with Wilsonart includes other elements of consideration. For example, on Feb. 1 they launched an advertisement on the blog, for which Retro Renovation is compensated. So, I do not have any incremental financial reason to promote the laminates in this collection over other options — see all our research on countertop options to find the product that’s right for you! – Publisher Pam.

CategoriesCountertops
  1. pam kueber says:

Wilsonart emailed me back right away. Here is what they say about edging option for their Virtual Design Library (VDL) products including the Retro Renovation by Wilsonart collection. Wilsonart said:

“-Matching strips – we don’t offer those on the VDL designs; they can be ordered for standard laminates. This is usually packaged as an 8’ roll x 1-3/4” wide. Generally, as Kate mentioned, people just cut a strip from the extra laminate to make the edges. This type of edge is called a “self edge” or square edge.

-Custom edges – Bevel and bullnosed (Cascade) profiles are available for standard laminates, but also not for the VDL designs. We can make them for the performance laminate types that were mentioned, but this is a special order, with longer lead time and minimum quantities.”

Dear readers, please don’t get agitated about these limitations, remember: The market for the designs we want is very limited — the mass market is just not there. Hence, mass production and all its offshoots are not a viable option. Want edging? Cut it yourself from the laminate your order… or, use metal edging, see these search results on places we’ve identified to get both stainless steel and aluminum edging: https://retrorenovation.com/search-results/?q=metal%20edging

2. Karen says:

I had the same thought about the floor! Sure would be happy. Love the table idea. Could it be used for shower walls?

3. Kathy says:

Pam, is there an old story on Retro Ren about how to use sheet laminates for counter tops? Do I have to build a new wood counter top and glue this “sheet” of laminate to it? I see ready to go lengths of counter at Home Depot in a few limited choices that you just buy and cut to size.

4. Bob Connor says:

I for one wish it were possible and safe. I have been looking for sheet vinyl for my early 70s kitchen and 90% of everything out there is a shade of beige and gray. I finally found a cinnamon color by Armstrong I can live with but why is there no color for flooring anymore? And why are so many of them trying to make vinyl look like wood? There’s a lot more selection of colors in countertops, I used a pattern in Wilsonart called Sedona Spa that my family voted on for the countertop.

5. Bob Connor says:

If you don’t want to do it yourself, there is probably a countertop fabricator in your town or the next one over. I found a local fabricator and they can cut any opening or length of countertop in and can get all the patterns from the manufacturers they are a dealer of. Look under “kitchens” or “fabricators”. it also helps to support a local business.

6. Bob Connor says:

Please do! I was at that opening and I was hoping to see you there. I was carrying around a camera and had a 3 piece suit like Roger Sterling wears on Mad Men.

7. pam kueber says:

Check all the Commercial sections of flooring companies’ websites — that’s where the color is, if it exists…

8. AtomicHipster says:

Hi Bob, check out Forbo Marmoleum, they have lots of colors and it’s a great product and very home friendly.

John aka AtomicHipster

9. Deanne says:

Agreed. I recently installed 13″ X 13″ Marmoleum tiles in my kitchen. Black, white, and a stunning red. Love, Love, Love it!!!

10. Jan S. says:

I got the Mamie Pink boomerang sample from our local Wilsonart dealer (this was before HD) and I was disappointed to see that the pattern has a texture to it. It’s almost like it’s a contact paper with a linen texture placed on a harder backing.

I grew up with the charcoal boomerang in the kitchen. It was as smooth as slick as ice. I prefer that.

Is the difference in the manufacturer? I want just a little uplifting (pink) retro look (boomerang) for my white laundry room counter. I think it will make laundry day more fun.

Am I imagining the texture on Mamie Pink now? Why isn’t it smooth?

I assume my childhood home from 1957 had Formica, not Wilsonart, for the boomerang, right?