C

Cathrineholm style melamine and stoneware dishes by Dansk at Bed Bath and Beyond

Cathrineholm style dishes

How’s this for some happy-hued plates, bowls, mugs and trays? Reader Susan commented on our recent story about boomerang laminate style melamine plates to give us this hot tip: Bed Bath and Beyond has a collection of Dansk dish ware called ‘The Burbs’ that looks pretty darn close to vintage Cathrineholm dish patterns. The dishes are available in melamine and stoneware — and wow — this stuff looks amazing. Plus, it is very reasonably priced so you can grab a whole set for less than you’d pay for a vintage original.

Susan commented:

Hi everyone, I just want to let all you mid century fans out there know that Bed Bath and Beyond has melamine Cathrineholm look a likes dishes, made by Dansk called The Burb, the collection is online only. The dishes are a super nice way of having some Cathrineholm for a very reasonable price, in fact very cheap. Check them out. I love mine.

Melamine dishes

Cathrine Holm style dishes

There’s a colorful large serving bowl…Cathrine Holm style dishes Cathrine Holm style dishes Cathrine Holm style dishes

A red, lime green and bright yellow plate and bowl set…Cathrine Holm style dishes

Coordinating small bowls…Cathrine Holm style dishes

Coordinating small plates…Cathrine Holm style dishes

And three sizes of trays.

Stoneware dishesCathrine Holm style dishes

In contrast to the warm colors of the melamine collection, the stoneware dish collection is decorated in blues, grays and green. You can get a three piece set with plate, bowl and mug…
Cathrine Holm style dishes

A 16 piece dinnerware set in starbursty blue and green…
Cathrine Holm style dishes

Coffee mugs in four fun designs…Cathrine Holm style dishes

Cathrine Holm style dishes

And coordinating extra plates and bowls, too!

Now the only question is, which pieces are your favorite?

Mega thanks to reader Susan for the tip!

1. Suzy says:

I too prefer the Melamine colors … I grew up with Melamine and its great … until its gets “cooked” too many times in the microwave 🙂

1. Heidi E. says:

Heh. I was just saying I wondered about that and had never heard anything. Now other people are finding the same. Funny the things you learn through a shared hobby!

2. Maria says:

I’m fascinated by these, but unfortunately I can’t find my favorite plate style: the colorful Starburst look (with orange and yellow, instead of shades of blue), as a 16-piece set. It’s only available as as “one of four” in the party plate set. 🙁

3. Betsy in Michigan says:

I hope everyone knows that the standard coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond can be used beyond their expiration date, and they usually let you use 3 or 4 at a time (so I never discard them, and keep them in my wallet and my car).

4. Kelly says:

I have been loving the Dansk Burbs collection for a while at Macy’s. I love the melamine patterns, but they cannot go in the microwave and after a very disappointing experience with the Dansk Kobenstyle stoneware set I purchased a few years back I am hesitant to purchase the Burbs stoneware. After one year, the Kobenstyle stoneware had such horrible utensil marks from daily use they looked terrible. It just has not held up compared to the vintage dish sets I have owned in the past.

1. pam kueber says:

Note, a reader comment was posted with a suggestion how to ‘erase’ utensil remarks. However, considering that this can be a food-safety issue, I did not approve it. Please, dear readers, consult with the manufacturer on such issues.

5. Cole says:

Pam, your link to Amazon doesn’t show for me, but I did find them. Make sure to get those dollars from us to help run the site with a quick link! 😉