Every home tiki bar needs a water feature — and I finally found one I liked: The Design Toscano Cascading Bamboo Sculptural Fountain, found on Amazon (affiliate link). I love it — and my husband took one look and said, “It’s perfect!”
Details on this fountain:
- I paid just under $400, free shipping.
- Dimensions: 14.5″Wx13.5″Dx57.5″H 51 lbs.
- Hand-cast using real crushed stone bonded with high quality designer resin
- Each piece is individually hand-painted by our artisans
- Includes a UL-listed indoor/outdoor recirculating pump
- Exclusive to the Design Toscano brand and perfect for your home or garden
Some tips if you get one, and a few nits:
- I thought the fountain was too noisy: The water hitting the resin in each of the receptacles was too loud. I MacGuyvered the problem by putting pieces of small mosaic tile in each “cup” to shorten the height of the water-drop; then, put pieces of sponge on top of the pebbles. I’ll switch the tile out for pebbles when I get a chance. The sponges are visible, so need to rethink that, but they do do a good job of letting me “tune” the sound of the water.
- Similarly, inside the water receptacle, the water drop was long and making too much noise. I stuck something in there, too, to create a sort of “slide” that the dropping water falls on to so that it can glide, not plop, into the receptacle.
- To get the water all the way to the top of this nearly 6′ tall fountain, the only pump setting that would work was “high”. I might try to hunt a stronger pump in the future, as it might be nice to dial down the water volume at some point. I did not have any issues with the pump noise; you can hear it, but not much given the tinkling of the fountain and usually, what else is going on in the room.
- There were a few quality defects, but nothing that forced me to send it back. I need to put a bead of silicon on one of fountain beaks (I don’t know what you call them); there was one hairline crack at the back but fortunately, not anywhere anyone would see it; and, there was a tiny chunk-bite taken out of the resin at the bottom, also in the back and also not really visible. The fountain was large and heavy — it was packed well, but given its travels, I can see how there might be damage.
None of my nits are major — I am very happy with this piece! The size and scale suit the space: The living room is quite long, and I’m splitting it into a sitting and bar area. The fountain sits in the planter area that will delineate the split, and the fountain’s height is terrific 2/3 of the way down the room. I also like that the fountain is of just bamboo — no creatures or other decorative embellishment.
Happy happy, the Mahalo Lounge is coming together pretty quickly now!
Link love one more time:
- The Design Toscano Cascading Bamboo Sculptural Fountain, found on Amazon (affiliate link).