S

Schwinn Grey Ghost bike — limited edition reproduction

Just out: Limited Edition Schwinn Grey Ghost Bicycle, available at Dick’s Sporting Goods. My quick search on the google puts these at 1971, and very collectible found original in the wild. Thanks to reader Roach C. for this hot ride tip! Link: Limited Edition Schwinn Grey Ghost Bike at Dick’s.

1. Robin, WA says:

I wonder if Scwinn is trying to capitalize on the popularity of Stranger Things. One of the things I like about the show is the authenticity of the bikes the kids in the show ride. At the time (early 80s), the bikes everyone wanted were 10 speeds and BMX bikes but pretty much everyone had second hand bikes from the 70s. Unless your parents had a lot of money, you were stuck with older bikes from garage sales and second hand stores.

2. Michael Coyle says:

I had one of these. I added an extended sissy bar on the back of the banana seat, so I’d look extra boss. 🙂

I zoomed in on the images at Dick’s, and I gotta say, the weld quality isn’t up to the standards that Schwinn had in the seventies. Where the neck attaches to the frame, the original welds were smooth as silk. It’s one of the things that made a Schwinn a Schwinn. Even at 11 years old, I appreciated that craftsmanship.

For me personally, I’d hunt one down at a flea market and restore it.

3. GlenEllyn says:

After reading your comment I did the same thing. Then I looked at my 1965-ish Schwinn Hollywood. No surprise, you’re right. My Schwinn could use a tuneup but I’ll never part with it. I’ve had it since I was in sixth grade. It’s just your basic bike – single speed, coaster brakes – but I don’t need anything more.

4. Lori says:

My husband collects and (pre-kids) restored old Schwinn bikes. He’s turning 40 this year and I’m the worst gift giver ever…but I just ordered this bike for him! I never would have known had it not been for your post! Thank you!!

5. Janella says:

I just finished a great memoir about growing up in the 70s called Sting-Ray Afternoons by Steve Rushin. It brought back some fun memories.

6. Carolynapplebee says:

The really cool kid in our neighborhood had the Sears bike with a steering wheel!!!!. We had six kids so I had to settle for the high rise handlebars.

7. keith says:

Actually they started making these reproduction bikes in the late 90s well before that show even came around and then every few years the put out another Edition

8. keith says:

Actually that is what is called a Black Friday Krate and it came out for sale at Walmart for like 88 bucks those are considerably less well-built as these and will Rust even indoors

9. Pam Kueber says:

Wow! I won an electric toothbrush once by writing an essay for Woman’s Day or one of those other magazines. 🙂