S

Schwinn Grey Ghost bike — limited edition reproduction

Just out: Limited Edition Schwinn Grey Ghost Bicycle, available at Dick’s Sporting Goods. My quick search on the google puts these at 1971, and very collectible found original in the wild. Thanks to reader Roach C. for this hot ride tip! Link: Limited Edition Schwinn Grey Ghost Bike at Dick’s.

1. Robin, WA says:

I wonder if Scwinn is trying to capitalize on the popularity of Stranger Things. One of the things I like about the show is the authenticity of the bikes the kids in the show ride. At the time (early 80s), the bikes everyone wanted were 10 speeds and BMX bikes but pretty much everyone had second hand bikes from the 70s. Unless your parents had a lot of money, you were stuck with older bikes from garage sales and second hand stores.

1. Julia says:

I remember staring in the window of the Schwinn bike shop when I was a kid. They were too expensive for my family. I had a purple Huffy with a flowered banana seat.

1. keith says:

Actually they started making these reproduction bikes in the late 90s well before that show even came around and then every few years the put out another Edition

2. Michael Coyle says:

I had one of these. I added an extended sissy bar on the back of the banana seat, so I’d look extra boss. 🙂

I zoomed in on the images at Dick’s, and I gotta say, the weld quality isn’t up to the standards that Schwinn had in the seventies. Where the neck attaches to the frame, the original welds were smooth as silk. It’s one of the things that made a Schwinn a Schwinn. Even at 11 years old, I appreciated that craftsmanship.

For me personally, I’d hunt one down at a flea market and restore it.

1. GlenEllyn says:

After reading your comment I did the same thing. Then I looked at my 1965-ish Schwinn Hollywood. No surprise, you’re right. My Schwinn could use a tuneup but I’ll never part with it. I’ve had it since I was in sixth grade. It’s just your basic bike – single speed, coaster brakes – but I don’t need anything more.

1. keith says:

Actually that is what is called a Black Friday Krate and it came out for sale at Walmart for like 88 bucks those are considerably less well-built as these and will Rust even indoors

3. Lori says:

My husband collects and (pre-kids) restored old Schwinn bikes. He’s turning 40 this year and I’m the worst gift giver ever…but I just ordered this bike for him! I never would have known had it not been for your post! Thank you!!

4. Janella says:

I just finished a great memoir about growing up in the 70s called Sting-Ray Afternoons by Steve Rushin. It brought back some fun memories.

5. Carolynapplebee says:

The really cool kid in our neighborhood had the Sears bike with a steering wheel!!!!. We had six kids so I had to settle for the high rise handlebars.

6. Joe says:

Anyone who was a child in the ’50 had a Schwinn at some point.

Why do they call it a “sissy bar?” I don’t like the word “sissy.” I was called that all the time when I was growing up before the serious bullying started.

1. Neil says:

I hear ya bro.
      Now me…I only hand hand-me-down and cast-off bikes.
      No worries; it suited my sissy nature to get out me paints and tart them up to suit my evolving taste; even painted the tires on a couple of them.

But then, some of the gems that came my way were “girls” bikes, with the downward swoop instead of the more butch, horizontal top-tube between my legs. A dead giveaway….. that inspired much more vivid epithets than Sissy, from the other little boys.

But that was balanced by my pleasure in riding a piece of personal art. And you should have seen the look on one boy’s face when I didn’t back down from his “chicken!” challenge, met his bike head on at 90-miles-an-hour, and he went flying into the ditch. I rode away content (and astonished at myself) on my prettified wheels.
      (raises a paint-stained fist….Sissy Power!)
      Neil