S

Sigrid’s one-step-at-a-time 1954 house refresh

maple dropleaf table hobnail lightHere is an email and some photos from a reader, Sigrid, that make me very happy. I read her message and get the feeling that she is taking things one step at a time — not getting overwhelmed — enjoying each step in the process.  I think that’s a very wise way to go about (discretionary) house projects indeed.

Sigrid writes:

A few months back, I wrote about our upcoming remodel of our 1954 ranch house. We’re not entirely done yet and are taking a fall break, but I thought I would send you a few photos.

My dining area now proudly displays my grandmother’s refinished maple drop leaf table. I found a vintage hobnail chandelier at a junk shop and cleaned it up. I am going to lower it, but it adds to a colonial vibe that seems at home in this house. I also found some hobnail ceiling lights to go above the sink and desk in the kitchen.

vintage wallpaper on one wall of bathroomIn the bathroom, I had 1950s aquatic theme wallpaper installed along with a reproduction vanity light. Not shown are the original tub and field tile surround that I will get restored next year.

vintage wallpaper with fishIt’s been a fun project.

Take care,

Sigrid

I love how Sigrid used the wallpaper on just one wall of the bathroom. The wallpaper is from Hannah’s, I’ve long had my eye on that pattern!

I also love how she used her grandmother’s table — nothing better! — and is bringing hobnail glass into the lighting fixtures. I don’t think I’ve ever written about hobnail glass light fixtures before. I love them.

In an earlier email, Sigrid told me she also will be doing some work on the kitchen and laundry. That will be fun to see!

Thank you, Sigrid, for sharing this bit of happiness into our day! Nicely done!

1. carolyn says:

Hobnail – just watched the final episode of The Brady House and saw that Carol had a hobnail vase on the headboard. I don’t know if Home Interiors still exists but they had a whole line of decor in hobnail and white accents in the late ’70s. On the one hand, it’s sad to see hobnail relegated to the junk store. On the other hand, we can pick up pieces for pennies!
    It appears Sigrid is letting the house and the universe tell her what to do where and when. Sometimes you look for things and you find them, sometimes you wait for them to find you.

2. Chelsea says:

Nice job, Sigrid! I hope you’ll share more photos as the reno progresses.

For some unknown reason, the talk about hobnail brought back a childhood memory. I have no idea what era, but I’m guessing the ’70’s. Does anyone remember the candles that were in small colored glass jars with white plastic “netting” around them? I think they came in different colors, but I remember my mama had red ones. Do any of y’all know what they were called? Are they still produced? I would love to buy some, but the candle world today is massive and I don’t even know what they’re called.

Thanks for any info! Y’all have a wonderful day!

3. KennyT123 says:

Love this story. I’ve been in my 1945 colonial for 12 years now and I’m finally “solid” on what I want. Unfortunately that means ripping out the bad tile job on the kitchen counter and installing a new retro style countertop in…..get this, RED!!!! The Frigidaire Fold-ups will sadly depart in exchange for a cute 1950 O’Keefe and Merritt range from one of the stove vendors recommended here–more on that later when I send in the finished photos. I think my kitchen reno will take about 12 years from when I imagined it to when it is finished. Time flies when you’re having fun.

4. Allison Hardy says:

And Pam… its always such fun to see what other readers are doing/have done in their homes.

Sometimes we need that encouragement! Please consider doing more stories on readers projects.

5. Jas says:

If you search “netted candles” on Google, they will come up in the images. It appears they are still being made and available through restaurant supply websites.

6. Chelsea says:

Isn’t it fun? This has got to be the most helpful, upbeat, fun-loving community on the whole internet! Y’all are wonderful!

7. Gretchen Fucio says:

I love that bathroom wallpaper! And reusing the table and light fixtures is very”green”, as well as making your home unique . Thanks for sharing this story, Sigrid!

8. Kathy says:

I love seeing the mid century colonial house. It’s my favorite. There aren’t enough. And I love hobnail lights. I got mine at the restore for just a couple dollars each.

9. Jennifer Ramazinski Miller says:

Can you provide the source for the reproduction vanity light in the bathroom? Thank you.