R

Readers tip us to FOUR terrific time capsule houses — beauties, all around!

tour a time capsule houseMany thanks to all the readers who act as community reporters and send tips about time capsule houses spotted for sale across the nation! It’s always so much fun to see these beauties and the diversity of styles they illustrate. Today, I spotlight links that will take you to four houses that are real stand-outs for their time capsule interiors and exteriors — from 1938… 1966… 1972… and 1848-redecorated-1950s.

1938 Santa Maria, Calif. time capsule house

These well-preserved homes of another era are becoming exceedingly rare, especially in California.

1848 Vevay, Indiana, Greek Revival with time capsule 1950s interiors

When I’m dreaming about winning the lottery, I look at Vevay’s historic homes for sale, because my grandma’s family came from there. This house would’ve been familiar to them (looong before it had its 1950s-60s now-time-capsule reno).

1966 Lincoln, Nebraska time capsule house

• This 1966 home by Royal Barry Wills Associates, a tip received from a number of readers (thank you, all!), shows how the interiors of classic Royal Barry Wills’ homes so often were colonial. And this one — 1966! A beautiful house, outside and in, and so fascinating to see what definitely appears to be the original interior features preserved. I wonder if we could find it on the new online RBW archive?

1972 Sumter, South Carolina time capsule house

This one is a doozy

Indeed: Gorgeous design work here!

Thanks, readers, for your time capsule tips!  It takes a ton of time for me to try to do features on individual houses, so going forward, I’ll try to do a better job spotlighting what’s new/old out there in a timely fashion in round-up stories like this!

Which houses or features are your favorites,
or most surprising, dear readers?

1. Risë Kwake says:

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, ALL!!!! Loved seeing the Speed St. property in Santa Maria…my mother was born around the corner in a custom 1929 Spanish revival on Palm Court Dr in 1932. I grew up visiting these surrounding neighborhoods and most of the homes there were lovingly crafted in the early 20th century and simply gorgeous!

2. Evan Degenfelder says:

While all were great the first house in Santa Maria by FAR took the top spot for me. Absolutely stunning! We lived in Santa Maria back in the early ’80s and it was a wonderful (and still small at that time) town. We had a tiny Mid century modest home at the time. But this 1930s house. . . .*sigh*….

3. Stephanie in MD says:

Thanks for these Pam and the submitters, they are great eye candy and decorating inspiration. I love how on the outside they are so unassuming, and so gorgeous on the inside. My favorites are the Indiana and SC, and the originality of the 1938, so adorable – I can’t believe it lasted this long! The wallpaper!
    They are all so well-maintained.
    I hope whoever buys these keeps the original charm!

4. KDH says:

I’m totally in love with that 1938 home. I truly hope it gets sold to someone who understands how rare those houses are becoming and doesn’t change a thing! How many times do you see a house with a Cape Cod front and an Art Moderne back, and with a window, shutters, and working shutter dogs on a garage door that works!

The 1950’s re-do in Indiana is incredible, too… very glamourous.

5. Kelly Wittenauer says:

Vevay, IN is an adorable little classic river town, just 10 miles down the Ohio River from where we live. We make a few top-down ice cream runs there each summer. Shell’s Ice Cream & Grill is a diner decked out in a ’50s vibe, with 45rpm records hanging on the walls.

6. carolyn says:

1938: Even the dustpan and wastebasket coordinate! If the buyers get a “right-sized” fridge and stove, they’ll be cookin’ with gas! I was at an estate sale with a similar attic. The under-eaves storage was filled with VHS tapes, all categorized and labeled on the doors.
    1848: not unusual the ’50s decor was used to update from the ’20s or ’30s. I’ve seen this a LOT in older homes for sale, even these manses. (I go to a lot of estate sales, realtor open houses, and “mansion tours”). I’ve seen those twin beds with corner tables in Popular Mechanics and built-ins/decorating books from the era. Are they too cool, or what?!
    1966: I would just be walking around with my mouth hanging open. It’s waaay out of my league! But flowers in the sink – KOOL!
    1972: I have the towel and wash cloth, only in blue! OK, the blue bath was a bit much – less is more. I’ve seen similar “executive” homes in Sheboygan. I’d wonder if the sellers are motivated enough to sell it furnished. Besides the fact I haven’t won the Powerball, this could be my winter home.
    Funny I was awed by the Colonial but would be fine in the MCM…

7. Pam Kueber says:

My mother-in-law had twin beds with that corner table. A total classic: One of the beds can push/nest all the way under the table to save space. Pull it out when you have guests and need two twins. I always that the arrangement genius!

8. Jeff K says:

The 1848 house in Vevay, IN is gorgeous! Whoever buys it will hopefully negotiate the furniture in the deal. It is all done so well. Picture perfect.

9. Evan Degenfelder says:

I’m with you on that kitchen, I could hardly believe it. I’m not a red fan, but that was so spectacular. I know that Santa Maria had grown a lot since we lived there, I too think I’d move back just for that house! 😉

10. Beverly says:

You restored my faith in lovlies. I like to peruse real estate listings for fun, but so many have been flipped and miserably remuddled. These were wonderful.

11. Cissy says:

The 1966 Lincoln, Nebraska home is the home of my dreams! Having grown up in the ’60’s, I remember many a home and decor of that time period. Even today I have vintage Ethan Allen Furniture and they would be at home in that house, as would my husband and myself!