It’s the rare blogger who is going to make a name — or living — for themselves by blogging about this, that & the other. The bigger opportunity: Knowing so much… learning so much… and sharing so much about a specific topic that you become the internet expert — the “go to” person or resource. Blog “success” — traffic, community and maybe even real money and a bit of celebrity — follow, when you are differentiated from the pack and bring consumers solutions that they cannot find anywhere else on the web.
Come to my Roundtable, 9 a.m. Friday morning at Alt, to learn more about my blog, RetroRenovation.com and what I’ve learned over the past 4 years as I’ve built a little media wonderland that today:
- Reaches more than 1 million unique visitors annually, with 4.6 million pageviews and a Page Rank of 5.
- Was among 6 finalists and finished #4 as best home design blog in Apartment Therapy’s “Homies” awards in 2010.
- Is increasingly quoted as an expert in other media. See this recent feature by the New York Times, which included my microsite SaveThePinkBathrooms.com and a boatload of my readers.
- Actually makes real money.
- Is helping me to build valuable, first-hand experience and skills that are highly marketable in today’s evolving media world.
- Is a constant source of joy. Like, I’m really helping people.
The Roundtable format at Alt is intended to be give-and-take. If you have questions, bring them! Meanwhile, here are some of the things I’ll be talking about to get things started:
- Think Like a Marketer: What is a niche blog — and how do you find yours?
- Own Your Beat Like a Journalist: Why I believe true excellence requires you go beyond mere “curation”.
- Trust and Authenticity: Watchwords that enable community.
- You’re a Geek Girl Now: Design, technology and expanding your reach through social media.
- Reality Check: Making money and “blogging with the Buddha.”
A little bit more about me and my background:
- 17 years in corporate communications with Ford Motor Company, including as Vice President, Communications, Ford of Canada.
- VP, Communications, for a public company in the media and marketing industry, 2+ years.
- Today, I also continue to work as a freelance corporate communications writer for a large global corporation.
Leave a Comment or email me if you have any questions or suggestions in advance. Hope to see you at Alt.