History of the Drexel Profile line – new page added

drexel-bedrooms

Thanks to Femme1 for obtaining a first solid dose of info and history on the Drexel Profile line – including this complete 1960 catalog, courtesy of the excellent customer service at Drexel Heritage.  I’ve now started a stand-alone page on the line, which you can check out anytime.

Click thru here for info on the designer John Van Koert and a 23-photo catalog from 1960…and check back on the Profile Page anytime for future updates.Drexel Profile:

The Drexel Profile furniture collection was designed by John Van Koert, and it was in production from 1955 to 1961. Van Koert started out as a jewelry designer for Harry Winston after WWII and later branched into industrial design. He also is well known for designing silver for Towle, particularly the Contour design; his particular attention to the drawer pulls and other hardware on Profile pieces is noted in the catalog.  Femme1 owns the walnut dining table and chairs #K40, and the round extension table, with #K62, the side chairs.

Tip: Click on an actual thumbnail – it will open quite large, and you can continue the slide show from there.

1960 catalog – complete:

Comments

1. Kathleen says

Thanks for the great reference. I own two k97 step tables and a cocktail table (I’m not sure which one – its in a storage locker). I was thinking of selling them for not much but now am better informed of what I have!

2. Erik James says

So I inherited a couple of the k27 night chests afew years back and fell in love with this line. Prior to this I didn’t even know what a Drexel or who John Van Koert was. I have since aquired the k16 headboard,( at a garage sale for next to nothing,I am happy to add).and a k2 mirror at a consignment shop for around $250. So here is my dilemma, I have been looking EVERYWHERE to find the k2 dresser to complete my bedroom set, and the only “luck” I have had

3. Erik James says

was online at some hoity toity store out of chicago for around $3700. I nearly choked! is this for real?! I didn’t expect, nor can I afford to pay a price that high for the one I have my heart set on. Please help! does anyone have any suggestions,information or advise that could help me in my quest? thank you very much.

4. justin tolar says

I have the k4 dresser with the mirror and the k11 dresser along with it. I’m trying to find a buyer, but really don’t know where to start. They were handed down from grandparents, who were the original owners. The letter of authenticity is still attached to the mirror. They are really in very good condition and have all the little added storage parts too. If anyone could help or is interested please let me know. I’m currently in the st. Louis area.

5. Lisa Sunaverse says

Thanks so much Pam! We’re selling my parents Drexel Profile bedroom set and dining room buffet and hopefully this will help people realize the value. We’re going to put your link on our Craigslist ad.

6. Joyce says

We have just acquired a full dining set of the Drexel Profile line. We have the K40 dining table with 3 leaves, six K62 chairs, K35 buffet and deck (hutch) and K98 cupboard (small buffet). Minor damage issues. The dining table has a deep scratch, Some white areas on the horizonal surfaces that we think were caused by heat. In excellent condition structurally. The chairs are an awesome designs. We will post on craigslist today in Jacksonville, FL. Thanks for providing all the great information about this line of furniture.

7. Mona says

Any idea what the bright blue fabric that came on the chairs was? It looks like velour, but I can’t find any info to confirm that. Thanks!

8. Michelle says

I just found a Drexel Profile dinning table K46, with 6 chairs K64, one arm chair and 5 side chairs. Craigslist $250 excellent condition and I believe the chair upholstery is original, a really nice muted teal velvet. Didn’t know what I had till I peered under the table hoping to find some info. Wow!
    The seller said it was his grandparents formal dinning set, one owner, and used rarely. He recently inherited it and not being the sentimental type wanted it out of the garage asap! Not sure he knew what he had there…I didn’t either but I knew it was the good stuff. Excited and had to share!
    Thank you for posting such helpful information…just now discovering the beauty and craftsmanship of vintage MCM furniture and slowly switching out pieces as I find treasures like this one….

9. kimiewoof says

just bought a K12 man’s drop front desk chest for $10 off the internet and found on ebay for $795. since the seller lived less than 5 miles from me he delivered it to me so i kicked him down $10 for gas! WooHoo!