Supersized midcentury sofas

1970s-sofa-round

WHY DID SOFAS GET SO BIG? I do not know. But you have to admit these supersized sofas are statement-makers. And that’s before we even get to — upholstery. This 1972 wonder belongs to Lynne’s Lens, a flickr friend. She bought it 10 years ago from a house with purple shag carpet and Peter Max wallpaper. It had two more pieces that made it *too big* for her house and she gave them to a friend. Mr. Retro Renovation loves this sofa.

leslie-conversation-pit

Of course we’ve seen some other supersized sofas before, as part of conversation pits. Remember Leslie’s kitschy dreamboat time capsule? Hi Leslie, how are you doing! Buy any Moss lamps lately? Hmmm. I guess this isn’t an entire sofa, but you’re on the homepage again anyway because this is so in the spirit.

Comments

1. Kitschy Kimberly says

I love these giant sofas. I want one in the worst way. It looks like the perfect place to flop with the kids and a bowl of popcorn to watch something good on TCM.

2. Caffeinated Katie says

Those couches are awesome!. I’d never be able to keep the dogs off, but at least there would be room for everyone.

3. tailfin says

Giant sofas like these – and conversation pits in huge living rooms – always make me smile & think of some glamorous movie set. I love the Elvis & Priscilla honeymoon cottage (because it is in Palm Springs) , but my favorite of the four featured is Leslie’s fabulous conversation pit. If that were in my house, I’d never leave it. And it’s hard to believe that the red & blue zigzag sofa was even bigger than it is now.

4. pam kueber says

Frank, thank you for that important correction. The only architect I’ve really studied (and barely) is Royal Barry Wills. So I really appreciate those of you way smarter than me on this subject to help me keep these correct! I’ve correct the story.

5. nadine says

hi! first id like to say that i discovered your site a couple weeks ago and i love it. my dream is to one day have a vintage/retro inspired home. i had to comment on this particular post because i am a pretty big Elvis fan but i have never seen the pics of the honeymoon hideaway! wow.

Elvis’ Honeymoon Cottage is very hip! That is definitely a party room. We have the exact opposite couch problem at our house….the contemporary sectional we bought for our last house is ridiculously large in our 1300-sq ft ranch house. Now if I only I could make it look swanky and built in…

after living in philadelphia, where the idea of trying to fit ANY of these sofas into the average row home would be impossible, it’s refreshing to see such fun sofas!! Even my MCM friends back in Philly were forced into buying the ikea one piece in order to fit a sofa through the sometimes 24″ stairwells…