19 interior designs from 1970

a 1970 attic design with blue sofa and orange pendant lightingWhen I took my second collage class this year, I was really blessed that there were several supremely talented artists as students, too. I am telling you: You could put any stack of paper crap in front of these women and in about an hour, they would turn it into a stunning piece of art.  Whereas, unless I worked like 8 hours minimum, my effort was bleck. It was really humbling — taught me that making art is: Hard. Like any skill, the more time and effort you put into learning the craft, the better the outcome. So what does this have to do with our miniseries of 1960s interior designs — which is coming to a close today with this brochure from 1970? I’ll tell you, my big take away from blogging daily for three solid years… seeing gazillions of photos and houses… is that there is no single look that is “better” and certainly, not “best”.  We are not smarty had a party smarter today. We don’t have a bead on beauty. The colors … the furniture and lighting design … the upholstery choices and the collectibles …what became possible, and popular, evolved era-to-era in a fascinating alchemy — and there was goodness in all of it. What makes a room beautiful… successful… a work of art, even… is how you put all the pieces together.

Enjoy these wonderful paint and interior design ideas from this 1970 brochure from Sherwin Williams:

To view the slide show, click on the first thumbnail. Once it’s enlarged, click on the arrow below to move forward or back. You can start the slide show from any spot…

Comments

1. Janet Gore says

I’ve enjoyed this past week, and it’s walk through the past. It came at a time when I needed to feel “cozy” inside. My dear mom passed away last Sunday at age 89 … when I was a teenager and wanted the “latest” style of shoes, I remember her saying “What was old is new again” … not quite “getting it” at the time. Looking at all of the wonderful photos has helped me come to a new conclusion (to share with those who need “new” big houses, “new styles” of furniture, etc. … “What is new now will be OLD again”! (Didn’t mean to go all melancholy on you.)

• Amy Hill says

Dear Janet, my deepest sympathies on the loss of your mother. My mother passed away this year in May.

Your mother was right, of course, about fashion trends coming back around. Things seem to circle every 20 years!

• Annie B. says

Bless you, Janet. My heart goes out to you at the loss of your very wise, and surely very beautiful, mother. It’s OK to be melancholy. It’s one of the reasons we create these comforting cocoons of orange walls and pink bathroom tiles: they just make us feel better.

Wow! I just LOVE this slideshow, Pam.
    Sometimes it’s difficult to make such bright colors look ‘deliberate’, especially when they’re combined in one room. But this brochure shows how perfect and seemless and happily married they can be. Thanks for sharing!

3. Gavin Hastings says

The fencing in the last photo is wonderful! Would anyone have the patience to execute it?

Pam- I agree that no era holds the title of “best”, but there are many rooms from the last 80 years which could easilly hold their own today. Good design is timeless.

4. Shane Walp says

In the ’70s, my bedroom was orange with orange and yellow shag carpet. The curtains and bedspread were navy plaid with orange stripes in it! Like, Hipsville! LOL

5. Suzy Massey says

Yup, I had that rattan headboard in image 4, only it was painted yellow green. It’s good to know that at some point in my life I was hip.

6. nina462 says

I’m sorry for the loss of your Mother, Janet. She was wise –
    I’m sure she’s smiling down at you as you look at the cheerful colors!

7. vintigchik says

I love how they made the colors in the main photo, although mainly primary, look grown up and fun. It’s so cheerful!