1937 Derby Lady’s Leg cocktail shaker by Shelton Silver Co. – Aly scores big at the Goodwill

derby-ladys-leg-cocktail-shaker-by-shelton-silverAly Starelli specializes in mid-century and period perfect vintage properties in Portland, Oregon. I met her there when I had dinner with the MCM League, after I spoke at the Eugene Home Show in 2009. Aly and I keep in touch, and she wrote to share a fabulous find:

Alyssa StarelliHey Pam,

I wanted to share this amazing find I found a few months back.  I was at Goodwill and found a cocktail shaker in the shape of a ladies leg. I took it home, mentioned in on FB, only to be told by Marci Holcomb (ex-mcm leaguer) that it was very valuable — I just figured it was standard 30’s cocktalia… Well after some research, we just posted it on my friend’s etsy site, cuz I know if left in my care, I’ll break it. It is the most amazing find I’ve ever found, though!!
Aly
Haha, I agree I’d have to sell this one, too, Aly, if I found it, out of fear of dropping it, too! Aly told me how much she paid at the Goodwill, but I’ll leave that detail out. Suffice to say, she’s headed for a tidy profit — although, given all the time we all spend scoping Goodwills and estate sales and the like, the profit-per-hour is quite minimal. We do this for love. The shaker is now for sale by fabgabs on etsy.com for $998… and here is some more history, for the record:

The famous 1937 Derby Lady’s Leg cocktail shaker is made of frosted glass by the Shelton Silver Co. Widely recognized as one of the most rare and desired shakers from this period! It is marked with the Patent No. 2091604.

The white glass is frosted – the leg has a curvy pin up shape. “She” wears a 1930’s style silver dancing sandal with a perfect cuban heel and working buckle. (Yes, you can take her shoe off.) It features a chromium cap and strainer with air spout for easy pouring of your top-shelf classic cocktails.

It measures 15 1/2″ high and 6″ wide at the foot.

Wanna buy or sell a mid mod house in Portland? Aly Star’s coordinates are here: www.aly-star.com

Comments

1. Cara says

Fantastic! It’s amazing it didn’t break between the donation bin and the shelf!

I also enjoyed Aly’s website. I just saw one super cute, mint (furniture, appliances and all) house in our area listings and the realtor described it as “outdated and needing work” Ahh! So it is nice to know someone out there is marketing these to buyers who will appreciate them.

2. Debbie says

My aunt used to say my uncle had a hollow leg, but I guess it’s not the same thing… is it? Seriously, this is an amazing find! Thanks for sharing.

3. Mariah says

Great post! My husband would love that terrific cocktail shaker, we collect vintage barware and ashtrays. In fact before I even scrolled down and saw that the shaker was now for sale on fabgabs I recognized Aly as the lovely model who wears all those gorgeous vintage dresses for sale on fabgabs that I wish I could buy…its a favorite etsy store of mine! 🙂

OMG! I just peeked at the listing on Etsy and what a great find! I have found such great vintage items at the Goodwill stores but not anything like that. That truly was a diamond inthe rough! Good luck with the sale, I can’t imagine it be available for long!

Very cool….and for it to still be in excellent condition? that’s amazing…I’ve seen what happens at Goodwill when something perfect gets scratched by being thrown into a bin or into a cart before being put on the shelf….it makes me cringe just thinking about…good thing that didn’t happen here, it would have been a shame.

Wow thanks every body!!

a. I’m afraid to make a drink in it. It’s wrapped up in protective packaging and hidden in a drawer, I’m afraid to even display it as I would probably knock it over and chip it. But it was a fab find, worthy of someone less clumsy than myself!! (I break melmac).

b.The shaker is still for sale – Fab Gabs could only run it for so long, and I’m entertaining offers. I’m putting it up on ebay today.

c. Sadly, I am not the adorable model, that’s Solana.. She has a blog if you’d like to dreamingly look into her eyes on a daily basis: http://vixenvintage.blogspot.com/

d. I do sell vintage homes and I really get ‘it’, so if you live in Portland, or are planning to move here, definitely call me. We’ll have a blast jumping back into 1958!

Aly

7. Kathy says

Just wondering if you ever sold your cocktail shaker? I have the same shaker, only in ruby red. I am interested in selling it, but can’t seem to find a value for it. Any ideas?

• says

Yes, I sold it on EBay for around $750+ shipping/handling. I’d seen valuations from 900-1300, but as the economy is struggling, knew better. I started it at $1000 obo on eBay and this is where I ended. Still, not bad for a $13 thrift score, and I was just sure I’d shatter it if I kept it, so it was to save it that I sold it!

8. Heather Hope says

The world shrinks yet again! I met Aly in South Seattle/Des Moines at a birthday party (?) for a mutual friend (Amy Thiel) many, many moons ago. We didn’t chat much – lots of people – but I’m off to see Amy in Denver over Christmas.

Good taste and an excellent eye, Ms. Aly!