Which Crestview door for Maureen’s ranch house? Let’s vote!

door-o-vision

Reader Maureen’s lovely ranch home in the woods is in need of a front door makeover. She’s looked at all her options locally and decided that none of the available doors styles would complement her house like a mid century door from Crestview Doors. She has decided on a few styles and color choices, but needs our help to narrow them down and pick a winner.

50s-ranch-house-grey-white-trim

Maureen writes:

50s-ranch-house-greyI have been in my house  2 1/2 years. It is nestled in the woods on a dead-end street. The exterior was a jolting pumpkin/rust. Now it is painted a soft gray. I couldn’t decide on trim color (a darker gray?) or what to include in trim. So I left it white for now. I have simple window boxes to try to help those 2 awful little windows (I removed the unsuitable little shutters).  I love the big bay window!

I need a good-looking door, full lite or 3/4 lite. I have seen the trend toward bright colors for doors, but I thought I would like something more serene. Maybe charcoal, black, or a lilac which is more the color of my birdbath. The ones available locally are  more suitable for victorian, colonial or craftsman. Milano Doors are nice, but pricey!  But I came across Crestview Doors and think these Mid-Century Modern styles might work! I like The Burbank, The Fortuna, and especially The Carlysle.  I am thinking I would like contemporary/modern door hardware.

My style inside is a mix of antiques (buffet and round dining table) mixed with modern mirrors and accessories. Tables in the living room are slabs of marble on Ikea bases. My chairs are slipper chairs recovered in brick red leather. Sofa is dog-friendly khaki microsuede with burgundy piping. I guess I like a casual elegance!

Please help me with ideas for entry door style and color and hardware.

Thanks!

Using Crestview’s* very fun Door-O-Vision tool, I was able to apply all three styles of door to Maureen’s house — in the purple color she wanted. Maureen, I think you are absolutely right — you have a mid century ranch that is in need of a mid century style door. I also agree with you, that of the three Crestview door styles you mentioned, the Carlysle is best suited to your house. Since most of your windows — especially your front bay window — are more square than rectangle shaped — the square windows on the Carlysle door will repeat this square motif and make sense with the style of your house. However, they all look good — and it will be fun to see how readers weigh in, when they take our poll, below. *Note: Crestview is a longtime advertiser here on Retro Renovation, however, this story is not part of the deal or anything. See Pam’s disclosures on how we make money on the blog.

As far as door colors go — you mentioned painting your new door lilac. I think pale lilac would be too light and not create a focal point on the front of your house. Since you painted the house a light gray, and the trim is white, I would add some contrast and go dark for the front door. A charcoal gray door might be too blah — why not stick with the purple idea — how about a deep eggplant shade of purple. When you add the window boxes under your windows, you can then plant purple flowers (like petunias or pansies) in the window boxes to repeat the purple in other areas around the front of your house.

sherwin-williams-suburban-ext-paintI also looked at Sherwin William’s Suburban Modern paint palette suggestions and found a color palette that may work for you — though you would have to reverse the Westchester (darker gray) with the lighter Chelsea Gray on the palette — since the bulk of your house is already light gray. Using this historically accurate paint palette, you could paint your trim Westchester gray (or leave it white) and your door Stratford Blue.

Ranch-with-crestview-door-blue

Baldwin-door-handleRegarding door harware, Maureen mentioned she wanted something contemporary and modern. This handset by Baldwin — with a squared off design — would be a great modern touch to her new mid century front door. I would choose the Venetian Bronze finish (which almost looks black) so it will coordinate well with the black mailbox and metal porch railings.

So there you have it Maureen, I hope this helps you in your quest to find the perfect configuration of front door, paint color and hardware.

Crestview-Door-o-Vision

Readers — which door would you recommend for Maureen’s house?
Now it’s time to vote:

DDbanner2LARGEClickhereURL

Comments

1. Scott says

What a cute house! The Carlysle probably compliments your large front window the best but to me the Fortuna is one that really sparkles and makes your eye want to linger.

2. Costumedzyner says

I think the eggplant Fortuna would be the best choice. To me, the larger windows of the Carlysle look slightly cartoon-ish, and allow too much visibility into the house. I also prefer the vertical break-up of the Fortuna lines.

3. Pencils says

I think the Carlyle is the best choice, the lights have a reference with the big window. For color…I like big contrasts on the front door, it’s the place to make a statement on a house. I think a grass green would be fabulous, especially out there in the woods, but as you say you’d like something more serene, maybe a darker green. Benjamin Moore has one called seaweed that I like, or one called, believe it or not, green (yes, no silly name, just “green.”)

4. Chicago Char says

I think the issue with the lines of the door(s) is actually with the scale of the mailbox, light fixture and banisters on the square steps. I’d like to see a white envelope style curved bottom mailbox (or whatever the trim color becomes), a curved light fixture without a bulb exposed, wider oblong (perhaps tinted or pebbled) cement steps and a curved slightly weightier banister.

5. aussiebeachgirl says

I’m an asymmetrical type of girl, so the FORTUNA (above) has my vote. It totally complements the vertical trim on the house, and I find it more aesthetically appealing to my inner artist! The eggplant does not entice the senses enough – it’s too boringly ‘obvious’ as a color choice against the grey. I’d have to go with the STRATFORD – for zing and pizzazz. If the owner could be persuaded to have a door that ‘pop’s, RED tops the bill! I have known people who’ve painted their doors Yellow, and against the grey tone of the house, depending on the shade of Yellow, it could work. But for me, my #1 choice remains RED, followed very closely by #2 TURQUOISE!!

Sorry, but for me, a little grey house, in a little dark wood, there has to be a POP of bright color to lift it from obscurity!

6. Shannon Lee says

Your home is so charming! I read how you changed the exterior paint color to the soft grey and white. Very nicely done. However, I am not a fan of any of the doors above. The proportions of the windows in the doors are distracting because they do not echo the prominent square windows of the large window. You need to take the que from the square windows and echo that shape in your door. The Carlysle is on the right path–but the 2 lower windows bother me for security reasons. Might I suggest looking into an “Arts and Crafts” style door? I have pinned a door suggestion here for you to consider. Please bear in mind I didn’t do an extensive search. This is Just a suggestion; giving you an idea of a proper proportion for shapes of the windows. The 6 windows that run across the top re square. The Arts & Crafts lights flanking your door might look nice too.

I like your “Arts & Crafts” style door handle.
    Maybe beef up the molding along the sides of the door. How about installing lights like these lights on both sides of your door. The lights are Kathy Ireland Mission Hills Lights and the door was submitted by a home owner: I found these on this site
    http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/kathy-ireland-mission-hills-collection-11-high-outdoor-wall-light-reviews . Good luck to you.

7. Shannon Lee says

Dear Maureen, I can’t stop thinking about your cute little home–I found another image I liked…

I like the Crestview Door Company, my parents have one of their 3 pane front doors. It’s a great company and their doors are solid like a rock and very energy efficient — even without a screen door in front of it. Maybe see if they have an Art’s & Crafts style in their inventory along these lines. I remember something about them having a custom design service too. Take care-Sincerely, Shannon Lee

8. Miriam says

Yeah, out of the three options presented she totally needs to go with the carlysle because it has the repetitive square pattern. However, If I were her, I would spring for that board and batten patterned double dutch door, and I would paint the whole house either olive green or beige with either a burnt umber, harvest gold, or rust orange door.