Shiny Brite ornaments — good prices on reproductions at Home Goods and T.J. Maxx

shiny-brites-11Alert: Great prices on reproduction Shiny Brite and Kurt S. Adler ornaments — I found boxes galore at Home Goods while out and about last Friday. T.J. Maxx had them, too, in less abundance.

shiny-brites-10 The cool thing about these is that they look to be pretty authentic reproductions of vintage originals — but much easier to acquire, and depending on your local market, at less cost than oldies.

shiny-brites-3-2Start handling them by putting them on your tree, and they’ll be loaded with vintage patina soon enough. And/or: Use them right now to make ornament wreaths on their own or in combination with vintage.

shiny-brites-9Prices at Home Goods and T.J. Maxx ranged from $9.99 to $12.99 a box. I’m sure if you wait, they will go on sale. But, they could also be long gone before they reach that point. Ahem, I snapped up a buncha boxes, stat.

Over on Amazon, these cost a lot more — like, double-ish. Home Goods and T.J. Maxx (part of the same corporate family) must be getting overruns and selling them at reduced prices. In the name of research, I also stopped by store-cousin Marshalls, but they did not have any.

shiny-brites-5 shiny-brites-2-2There were actually quite a few varieties of shapes, sizes and colors. Colorways included red+green+silver, silver+gold, and hot pink+turquoise.

shiny-brites-1I also found one box of these pine cones — not Shiny Brite branded, but they will work well in wreaths. And the price was right — $10 for 12.

Yay.

Comments

1. midmichigan says

Geez, those are really nice! They look just as I remember some of the old classic ones from the 50’s and 60’s. Being glass, if we get some, just like back then, we’ll have to move them up on the tree to stay out of the danger zone of a swinging canine tail. Except nowadays it’s “tail” X4.

2. linda h says

When I rushed over to Home Goods, only about 4 blocks from home, to get the Vera tablecloth you alerted us to, they were nearly gone. Thankfully, they did have one in the color I wanted! Hope they have some of these ornaments left. Love them!

3. Mary Elizabeth says

Yes, I bought some small ones in T. J. Maxx last year to pep up my two mini-trees. Cats already broke a few by fishing them out of the boxes while I was decorating and batting them around the living room as toys. The only problem was that the reproductions were not made in the U.S.

Here’s a hint, if you have small children, dogs with wagging tails, or cats: Use green wire ties (the kind you can buy in a roll and cut off to length) rather than ornament hooks. And do put the breakables and multi-piece ornaments high up on the tree, the wooden and cloth one-piece ornaments lower. I once had a cat climb my 6-foot tree and knock it over, and I didn’t lose a single ornament.

Yep, I was going to add Menards had them last year (I got some for $1 on clearance!). I was just at Home Goods here a few days ago and didn’t see any but maybe they added some. They did have some cute reproduction putz houses. Maybe I missed that announcement on here and also they aren’t as cute as Kate’s 🙂

• Kate says

Aww thanks Cara! I love going to Menards…I haven’t yet had the opportunity to check out their “Christmas Village” this year. Will have to go look and see if they have putz houses and Shiny Brites! 🙂

5. Mike says

These are so cool. Just last evening my wife asked if I wanted to put up a second tree, and I told her all our ornaments are on the one we have (it’s in a corner in a spare room year-round). Will have to have a look for these now.

6. tammyCA says

I saw them a couple of weeks ago & resisted..had I seen pink & turquoise scenes I would’ve grabbed them lickitysplit..things go very fast in these parts.
    Also, saw at World Market some cute retro ornaments, the gnomes, pinecone elves, putz style houses.

7. Cap'n Cait says

I happened to find a couple mega boxes of Shiny Brite ornaments last year at TJ Maxx the day after Christmas! Garlands, indents, bells, icicles, the works! And at 50% off the already discounted price! It was a great score, after I had spent the entire fall collecting vintage ornaments on Ebay and at estate sales.

8. Laurie Louise says

Sweet! Not sure we’ll put up a tree this year among the dust and rubble, but I may have to stash these for Christmas Future! Thanks, Pam!

9. lisa in Seattle says

Sadly, I already have an overage of ornaments, but I saw some really cute vintage-ish glass ones in a surprising location: Grocery Outlet. If you want or need any, these were only about $3-4 for a package of 4.

Gosh, these beauties just put me into the spirit! So pretty! Now the BIG question…
    Can you get ’em in Canada? We want retro ornies too. I used up all my mum’s vintage stash on the ornament wreath. Thanks for posting.

11. Sharon says

Just to let Karin and other Canadians know that The Bay sells the Christopher Radko Shiny Brite ornaments – right now at half price!
    Still expensive but they have a good selection. My daughter bought me 2 boxes for Christmas last year.