Cindy and I met up at Osgood’s Fabrics last week. It’s a megastore located in West Springfield, Mass., that has so much fabric that it will make your head spin… all at terrific prices. Cindy (pictured above) was researching fabric for pinch pleats. I was the one who was interested in this hippie patchwork, though. It was $14/yard. Yes, there are lots more pics from this tour.

Osgoods’ specialty is fabric for home interiors, and it goes on and on and on — so much so that if you go with a friend, you better both bring cell phones so that you can find each other if you get separated.

Cindy was looking for a mid-century modern graphic or floral pattern in basically this colorway.

It was hard not to like these big bold graphic designs, though, too. I would tend to call this a contemporary (today) interpretation of modern. The colors — fantastic.

This fabric had a terrific retro-inspired hand (feel), kind of like vintage rhino-cloth.

Again, a contemporary take on mid-mod.

Cindy found a local seamstress to make her pinch pleats. If it goes well, I think I will use the same seamstress to make me some pinch pleat sheers out of this fabric, but in ecru/natural. I am going to layer the sheers under my existing pinch pleats. I love that layered look.

My vintage pinch pleats have a design not too dissimilar to this. Although, my colorway is all beiges, ecrus and very light browns. These kind of tone-on-tone pastoral toiles were and are appropriate for Retro Renovation living rooms, dining rooms or bedrooms — and convey a more formal look. I also found this same fabric, which is called Bosporus by 5th Avenue Design for Covington, at Fashion Fabrics Club online, which also has a big brick-and-mortar presence in Denver. Osgoods will do mail-order, too.

Ooooh, this would be great for an Early American basement. Actually, the fabric I made into pinch pleat for my cherry-paneled man-cave is very similar in overall feel.

Switching gears altogether, this polished cotton chintz — with its Asian toile on stripes — would look lovely in a formal living room, dining room or bedroom. That said, I think you need to be careful how you use red and gold, or else the room starts looking like the Washington Redskins.

Yowza, look at this. I know a lot of readers would like this fabric. It was stained, though. Cindy, should we go back, wheel and deal for it, clean it, then sew it into shower curtains to sell on etsy.com?

Cheap and cheerful decorating idea: Take webbing like this (which we presumed was intended for some sort of outdoor use) and craft it into pull shades. The fabric was such that, if you trimmed the edges, it wouldn’t unravel.

This would make for a pretty shower curtain in a pink bathroom. I’m nuts for novelty prints in pastel bathrooms.

Seriously, folks, if you have BIG needs for fabric, plan a vacation to Springfield/Hartford so that you can go shopping at Osgoods. Hartford has an airport servicing the region… the Basketball Hall of Fame is nearby… and Cindy and I might even come down to meet you.

Finally, I’m sure you’re curious what Cindy chose. But, I think we’ll leave that for a surprise reveal. Stay tuned.

Links: Osgood Textile.

1. gavin hastings says:

Isn’t it funny that we ALL found that stained turquois and white print? It was just stuffed in the middle of nowhere…..
    I saw it a month ago and considered buying some of it. My first thought was that it might be fiberglass…..my second was that it was a survivor of the above mentioned fire! (1969)

Osgoods fabrics are not always retro…I don’t mean this in a bad way; but it’s like a fabric landfill. Sometimes the bottom layer rises to the top!

2. pam kueber says:

Gavin, thanks for pointing me to a clarification: Osgoods features all varieties of fabric — it’s not just about retro / vintage styles. They have Everything and then some. And — yes — that atomic (stained) fabric had a very strange feel — like fiberglass, yes. You are right, it may well be from 1969!

3. nina462 says:

When I lived in MN we would shop at the Minnetonka Mills – lots & lots of fabric. We also used to shop at S&R fabric outlet…lots & lots of fabric…but don’t ever light a cigarette or it’d be a bon fire!

4. denise says:

In 1983 after my dad got remarried they were trying to pick out a comforter for their water bed…I begged dad NOT to get the velour patchwork style — which, it looks like is exactly what Cindy is holding…BEGGED Him! As an young full-of-my-own-tastes-artist I took it almost as an insult that they would choose that one. They didn’t listen to me…now, almost 30 years later, I find it’s kind of neat…but as a 19 year old? no way! funny how time changes you.

5. bex says:

How fun! I find that Osgoods is a bit ‘hit or miss’ but found some tiki barkcloth in the ‘remainder bin’ about 5 years ago. I’m moving (back) into my ranch next month (in Easthampton MA) and am trying to find fabrics for curtains. Guess I’ll have hit up Osgoods again – and hope for a ‘hit’ !

6. pam kueber says:

Hi Bex, in their new location, I think they have even more. There is ALWAYS something that I want to buy, like 46 yards of, “just in case.” Argh.

7. Tami says:

Wow – I just bought five yards of the Bosphorus fabric YESTERDAY and was wondering where to find more – you are not only a lifesaver, you’re psychic!

8. Susan in Vancouver BC says:

I have been looking for the fabric in your 3rd picture. The one with the oblong circles and lines.( Cindy was looking for mod fabric in that colorway)I have recovered my dining room chairs and made drapes for my 1968 Dodge Polara station wagon in that design. But I had to use shower curtain material! I would love to find out the name of the design or maker or any clue.I would like to see if I can source the material here in the west. I get soooo many compliments when we drive the old beast around town. Thanks for any help.

9. pam kueber says:

Susan, I don’t have the name of the manufacturer. Perhaps you could call Osgoods to see if they could help you. OR, try a large local fabric store that carries a lot of brands. This kind of design is pretty common now. Another company – based in Canada – that might be able to help you was profiled in my recent story about places to find barkcloth, also in st. ory about Cindy and her drapes. Check out those posts. Good luck,

10. Patty says:

I know this is an old post, but I thought I’d still post an update. Osgoods sold a lot of their older fabric (to Affordable Fabrics in Rocky Hill, among others) and is now 1/3 the size it used to be. It’s still HUGE and overwhelming – but not as big. It is better organized. They did this to open and focus on an on-line store. So you can find a lot of their discounted modern stuff here: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net

But don’t worry, that patchwork fabric for $14 a yard is still there and waiting for you!

11. B Kasper says:

Where r u located as I have been trying to find barkcloth. I live in New Hampshire and have a hard time finding barkcloth. Do u also make curtains.