Is there any topic more timely? Let your voice be heard.

1. Sarah V says:

As a chef, my man’s cave is actually the kitchen, but he’s nice enough to let me visit his cave as long as I pay the baked goods toll 😉 Like Kate I am the house DIY-er and decorator, so the rest of our house is my domain…. (insert evil laugh here)

2. Brian says:

“Den” should still work just fine as a name for a casual living area, especially if it’s being distinguished from a formal living room.

The problem with “man cave” is that it encourages the men to make cliched, overstated, hypermasculine design choices. I attended an open house where the sellers had outfitted the basement with a replica of a sports bar — overhead TV (in addition to an awkward home theater nearby), prominent beer tapping station and large beer-branded cooler, several illuminated signs advertising beer … can’t remember if there was taxidermy. The real estate agent was perched there, since it was the most dazzling selling point of an otherwise cookie-cutter McMansion. I mentioned that it would cost a lot to rip out all the macho junk to make way for the sewing room.

3. 70mm forever says:

I prefer the term Screening Room — a room dominated by a screen sized to fit the room and provide a truly cinema-like viewing field of view, mounted high on the wall. Coupled with Ikea Poang chairs providing a no-neck-craning viewing angle and a perfectly tuned surround system, such a place is surely too capable, too nice, to be called a Man Cave.

Add a flat black ceiling and screen wall, MR16 dimming spots and floods, Glidden Soft Sapphire everywhere else, cinema-themed carpeting (Joy Carpets makes some) and you have a screening room you don’t want to ieave, and that honestly, beats 8 out of 10 commercial cinemas in picture quality and sound.

4. Lee in Florida says:

I have no problem with the term, although I can see how some might think it’s cliche. What jumped out at me, however, is the hostility toward a man having a room of his own, regardless of what it’s called.

I mean, a guy needs a place where he can belch, fart and scratch in peace. So what if he spills popcorn all over the place… you’d rather it be in your living room?

It’s no different than ladies that like to retire to a spa-like bubble bath when they need some time alone. I wonder why these women bother having families, if they can’t wait for Calgon to take them away.

5. JKaye says:

I don’t really want a home theatre kind of man cave. I want a basement where you can put stuff you don’t want to look at but still need, and a place to go into when there is a tornado warning. A tornado cave, if you will.

6. Annette says:

I’m just tired of hearing “man cave”. There’s even a bar & grill that just opened near me called The Man Cave. Meh. I have no problem with men having spaces of their own, but “man cave” just sounds dumb to me. Makes me think of Tim from Home Improvement.

7. Allison says:

My husband has his “listening room”, where he has his record player and books. There is nothing wrong with a room where he can have have his stuff. I just hate the words “man cave”. It just irks me. It makes me feel like a “no girls allowed” clubhouse kind of thing.

8. hannah says:

The term doesn’t bother me, it’s become part of the pop culture fabric the last few years. I don’t mind if a guy has his man cave either.

Mr Wonderful and myself have had our own ‘caves’ (if you will) the last 16 of our 20 years together. We keep our own bedrooms. His is full of video / audio recording crap in a function form for him, and mine is full of pink, gold decor among my Heywood-Wakefield aesthetic type of crap of a bedroom set. 😀

A future project is to build out part of the basement for an office for myself so I’m not sitting here in a corner of the living room. Then, I’ll have the cave. But what do we call a female’s cave??

9. hannah says:

Wonderful snapshot of your Aunt & Uncles lives. Loved reading it. “Pouting Room” – *LOLOLOL*

10. Dawn says:

I very happily helped my fiance decorate his “Man Cave”. The term doesn’t bother me at all. Life is all about compromise and this was one of ours.

It is a place for him to display his rather large collection of craft beer (Not crappy beer like stated above) and his sports memorabilia and various things that are important to HIM yet not exactly things I want to see every day.

I think its a great compromise for some couples. He should be allowed his misc. collections and being tucked in the basement in his cave they don’t bother me because they aren’t MCM.

This arrangement fits us fine.

11. Laura Thompson says:

It’s cliche, but the term will pass someday. We all need a little space to ourselves now and then!