dachsund planters collection This weekend’s invitation to readers to upload photos of their recent thrifty vintage finds was so much fun — so full of fabulous — that I decided to call out some of my favorites photos. I’ve kind of focused on photos of the unusual, the colorful and … well … photographed well! First up, above: Jadie’s collection of vintage dachsund planters. “Not all at once of course, but we love our little dachshund finds,” Jadie says. Oh my word — this photo shows better than I could ever try to explain, the immense visual power of massing and repeating your collectibles. Just gorgeous, Jadie! Continue for 13 more great photos from inside readers’ collections –>

vintage sweatersThese vintage sweaters are six-times prettier when you photograph them all together. Uploaded by an anonymous reader who says, “Vintage sweaters!  Still love ’em, still wear ’em.”

vintage letterpress

I love vintage letterpress pieces. Another no-name reader says: “I rescued some very cool printers block and letterpress type from some long neglected storage at the family’s printing shop. Does anyone know what an Otis Vim-o-matic is?”

vintage pinch pleat drapesIn the comments on the upload post, everyone ooohed and aaaahed at Lynne’s $5.00 auction pinch pleat drapes. Yes!

dresser converted to master bathroom sinkWow, this reader took a vintage dresser and converted it to a double sink for the master bathroom. It looks great! Anonymous s/he said: “Craig’s List faux bamboo dresser :$60. Photo doesn’t show the lovely shade of celery green. Have not polished all the hardware yet…”

vintage red high chairCrikey, this one is cute overload. anony says: “Baby High Chair found in a local Thrift Store for 18 bucks!” Important to research, folks: Before you use a vintage high chair, be sure to research whether it’s safe.

vintage couch by flexsteelAnother anonymous reader uploaded this sofa beauty, saying: “Just got this totally cool Flex Steel couch at an Estate Sale for $15! I am still excited about it!” I love the needlecrafts on the walls — and that braided rug, too. Lovely palette emerging here — red, linen-yellow, brown and black.

his and hers shot glassesThese are very sezy. Another unidentified reader says, “Aww….His & Her’s shot glasses.  Can’t get much more romantic than that!”

ski party posterI bet they had those shot glasses at the Ski Party. This photo of a vintage Ski Party poster was uploaded by midcenturythriftygal

midcentury living roomHere’s another wonderful living room with great color coordination — and graphic appeal — goin’ on. The couch is from cragislist, the chair is from ebay and the table, Elpis & Wood, the reader said.

fireplaceAnother ski party accoutrement. To die for. “Condon-King Aztec fireplace in Inca Gold. Free. Owners were remodeling their house and were going to throw it in the dumpster!” – vitaminimodern

broyhill emphasis bedroom setThis is the first time I’ve seen Broyhill Emphasis on the blog. I like it.!”Broyhill ‘Emphasis’ bedroom set (also includes a large, tri-fold mirror) on Craigslist. That headboard fits a Queen!” – Becky from Iowa

vintage plate collectionMore from vitaminimodern. “Plate collection, Goodwill and Salvation Army.” Lovely photograph. Are the sweaters yours, too, vitamini? I’m guessin…

bitossi lampsThis reader reports having two of these “blue table lamps.” Perhaps they are Bitossi Rimini Blu lamps? That would would be good luck indeed. But to heck with the lamps: That kid and his smile are just THE BEST.

1. nina462 says:

me too. I’d love to trade my Broyhill Fontana set for a new-old set. Good to know they made queen size back then as well, as that’s usually my dilemma.

2. Jennifer says:

You are correct. I posted earlier that these are valets, or dresser caddies, for men. My fiance has the little kangaroo. It is marked 1956 C USA on the back, there is nothing on the bottom. All of the kangaroos are (if they are authentic, I heard there were reproductions), not sure what the others are marked with. I see the weiner dogs a lot, I hate to say it, but I don’t think they are currently as popular as other ones.

If you remember, the kangaroo was a key point in the movie “Pulp Fiction,” with Bruce Willis as Butch. His father’s golden watch was left on the bedside table, on the little kangaroo, and he had to go back for it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think this is why they continue to grow in popularity.

BTW, my fiance puts rings on the tail, and puts his watch around the head of the kangaroo, I think the pouch is for cufflinks, tie clips, or loose change.

3. TappanTrailerTami says:

Hi Nina,

Vintage beds are generally not a problem, even if you have a queen mattress set.

Most MCM and earlier beds were full size (or twin), but don’t let finding a bedroom set with a full bed deter you.

You can easily use queen converter rails with a full bed provided the bed does not have a wrap around head board or foot board (usually seen more in 1920’s bedroom sets), and it uses the standard slot / hooked side rails.

I’ve always had vintage full beds with converter queen rails and a queen mattress with great success. The mattress and bedding doesn’t really extend too much past the width of the head board and foot board, and all of us retro types are more likely going to be swooning over the bedroom set itself rather than noticing the mattress is a couple inches past the head board in width ๐Ÿ™‚

In short, quit passing up bedroom sets just because they have a full bed, especially if it is one you love!

Just google “queen converter rails” or “queen converter bed frame”

4. Lynne says:

My heat and a/c vents are in the floor, and so they blow right up the insides of the drapes/sheers. We got inexpensive clear plastic dome-y sort of deflector things that re-direct the air flow. Maybe they make the same sort of thing that would fit your baseboard vents.

5. Becky from Iowa says:

Some information about converting the set: we already had a Queen sized metal, stand alone bed frame–they’re never very expensive, I believe. Since the headboard on the Emphasis set was a good 60″ across (which is standard Queen sized dimensions), all we had to do to convert it to attach to our frame was to drill two holes farther toward the outside edge of the headboard (there is a wide, additional section of the headboard, down near the legs, intended for attaching to a full sized frame…but that section was easily wide enough to make two holes (one above the other) that lined up with our metal frame….

We then used two “carriage bolts” (I believe that’s what they called them) to run through the slot in our metal frame (this is found in all frames) and through the NEW holes in the legs of the headboard, and then fastened them on the back with nuts.

That’s all it took to convert the headboard to fit our Queen frame! I easily found instructions by Googling “convert full sized headboard to fit Queen frame.”

6. Casey says:

Casey (vitaminimodern) here, the owner of the Aztec fireplace and the plate collection. I’m glad you enjoyed my finds! I practically jumped up and down when my boyfriend brought the Aztec home and how he fit it in the back of his station wagon, I’ll never know! The plates are a cheap and easy thrifting obsession. I just brought ten more plates home from Goodwill yesterday (eek!). At least they’re functional, right? The ones that I don’t actually eat off of have been displayed on the wall in my kitchen. If you’d like to see how, here’s my blog post about it: http://vitaminihandmade.blogspot.com//search?q=plates&x=0&y=0

I can’t claim the sweater collection, though I would definitely wear the blue one! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Nate says:

Cynthia, since you’re in Florida, you might want to check out furnishmevintage dot com. I’ve never purchased anything from them so I’m not officially ‘recommending them’ or anything but I do frequent their site for glamour shots of midmod items. I first learned about Emphasis from their site and they are located in FL.

8. Jenny says:

My friend Emily has a great blog all about collections of vintage things, it’s really great and worth checking out:

She manages to have many funky collections but somehow, her house is never cluttered! She is my flea market collecting guru!

9. Angela Speiser says:

The kangaroo dresser set is made by McCoy pottery; they came in brown tones or grey tones. I buy them often for about $10 at ND auctions/flea markets. Our city, Minot, was the only level 5 disaster in 2011 with many treasures flooded out of homes but we are seeing things saved in storage over a year ago. Don’t mind paying top dollar to help out the elderly!

10. nina462 says:

Thanks Becky & Tami for the information on the queen converter. Now, it’s an excuse to buy!

11. Stacey says:

Stacey I just scored one too! identical to that at a Recycling Centre for $2. I ADORE IT!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ so cool your mom made one!

12. Sherree says:

I just saw my Ski Party poster was shown on here ๐Ÿ™‚ I must have missed a day checking out your site. Shame on me ๐Ÿ™
    Thanks Pam for including it!