H

Hanging fish bowl — in spectacular mid century modern by Case Study house architects

retro-hanging-goldfish-bowlSo, reader Heather sends a tip about this gorgeous midcentury modern house for sale in Long Beach, California. It was designed by Case Study House architects. It sits on a large lot, across from the beach with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean. It’s for sale for $1.599 million. And what do I focus on? The adorable hanging fish bowl.

retro-mod-hanging-goldfish-bowlFrom this listing:

This iconic midcentury modern residence was designed by renowned and award-winning architecture firm Killingsworth, Brady & Smith (designers of Case Study House nos. 23, 25 and 26). The home is classic California modernism with wrap around walls of glass, seamless indoor outdoor flow, clean lines and a spacious, open floor plan. Located on an 11,000 square foot seaside lot in the prestigious Bluff Park Historic District, this property has panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island and is close to the vibrant Belmont Shore shopping and dining district. This is simply one of the most unique and exceptional properties one will find on the Southern California coastline.

Many thanks to the listing agent, Douglas Kramer and his wife, business partner, and photographer Rochelle Kramer for allowing us to feature these photos. There are lots more photos to whet your whistle on the website devoted to this spectacular property.

Now, where can I get a fish bowl like that?

1. Janice says:

Kate, I must be as old as your Mom because back in the groovy 70’s, I actually macramed a hanging end table using a large round piece of glass as the table part. It was the envy of all my friends at the time (not to mention super heavy!) but even in my love for all things vintage, I don’t think I would want it back today. (smile).

Robin, I love your sound image of the record scratch upon seeing the kitchen because that’s exactly what it felt like when I panned over to the kitchen picture. Seems really out of place in that gorgeous home!

2. tammyCA says:

It’s nice to see some bold color & not the industrial modern look…but the kitchen went thumbs down & doesn’t fit.

3. The previous owners, not the current owners, did the unfortunate remodel of the kitchen. It will likely be one of the first things a new owner would address in this home. I hope one day soon to see it with the modernist kitchen that this house deserves. On another note, the flooring in the home is cork in a light beige shade, not terrazzo.

For those interested in learning more about Killingsworth, here is a link to our blog article about this Case Study architect: http://socalmodern.com/blog/the-great-ed-killingsworth-3051-ocean-blvd/

4. philq says:

I completely forgot about this house! I lived 7 blocks away and walked past it many times. Didn’t totally appreciate it then. Go figure…I ended up in a 50’s ranch!

5. Marsha says:

I can’t afford the house, but I think I could (maybe?) afford that lovely red chandelier. 🙂
    *swoon*

6. Scott says:

Pam I agree, even though this house is an extravaganza of goodies stem to stern I’m all about the fish bowl too. The combination of the bowl, the globe in the alcove and the suspended lamp over the table remind me of a miniature solar system. And you can’t get much more mid-century than that! 🙂

7. just my opinion says:

Living in Long Beach, I always look at/for this house every time we drive down that street. I’ve wondered what the rest of the inside was like seeing the three large Nelson lamps hanging in the window. Wow, the place is filled with so many iconic pieces of mid-century modern furniture I’ll probably take a while to change color back from green! I was so busy looking at the Bertoia chairs I didn’t even notice the kitchen. Hmm, wonder if there will be an open house…

8. Marie A says:

We have a 1968 late mid-mod with 1500 sq feet of terrazzo flooring–not the tiles, but actually poured in place. We love love love it. I would never cover it up (we still have the sparkly white laminate countertops and avocado green stove too).

We live in a warm climate so cold floors aren’t a big deal. Some of our house is carpeted and if I could find a way to afford some kind of terrazzo to replace that, I would in a heartbeat.

9. Joe Felice says:

If I were wealthy, I’d be off to Long Beach!!!!!!!!!!! This is the type of home I adore!

10. Jacki says:

I remember my mom made a very large, fancy, macrame hanging fish bowl when I was about 8 or 9. It hung next to the entry to the family room. She was VERY good at all of the intricate knots, beading etc. and guests would ooh and ahh over the things that she made. I remember having to have help changing the fish water and it got to be a pain so she turned it into a hanging terrarium. My dad must have had to put some kind of support in the ceiling to hold something that heavy. I had totally forgotten about that giant fish bowl until now.