W

Where to find colorful shag carpeting today: Shaw Carpet’s Disney “Magic Shag”!

Emily-Morrow-and-Retro-Carpet-SwatchesWall-to-wall shag carpeting — like Sarah used in the living room of her round house — was hugely popular during the 1960s and 1970s. In the height this decorating trend, shag carpeting could easily be found in a variety of bright colors. Today, however, due in great part to the color-averse mainstream, finding bold colors of shag carpeting isn’t easy. That’s why we were thrilled when Sarah told us her source, Shaw Carpet’s Disney Magic Shag line. Above: The photo from our exclusive interview with Emily Morrow, head of design for Shaw, on the history of wall-to-wall carpet.

orange shag carpet
Roundhouse Sarah’s living room

shaw-flooring-orange-carpetThe Magic Shag — great name!!!! — line is available in 31 different colors — including magic pumpkin — the orange that Sarah used in her living room. The line was conceived with children’s spaces in mind, but many colors in the collection would also work wonderfully in a retro mod living room, bedroom or rec room.

shag-carpet-colorsOf the 31 color choices, the six colors above — magic pumpkin, outrageous orange, pixie purple, poisoned apple, pink power and blue lightening — are the brightest and most retro-licious of the bunch.

Upon first seeing that hot pink shag, my dream of recreating the time capsule living room in this 1962 house in Minnesota seemed just a bit more in reach.

Anyone else suddenly feeling the need to find a room for some flower power shag carpeting?

Categoriesaccessories
  1. Jason says:

What is that pattern of carpet beneath the swatches in the top photo called (the brown one)? I have similarly textured carpet in my home that desperately needs replacement.

2. Jason says:

Now it lands on the main page insisting that we “Go for grey””the color that is captivating designers all year long.” Very sad indeed.

3. ken says:

I know this article is many years old and the carpet line is no more but if any kindred spirits find this and a new source for bright fun carpet do let me know in a reply! I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

4. Elizabeth from Texas says:

Shaw “Kids Rule” collection has twelve fabulously bright colors (well actually eleven bright colors plus black). I have the baby pink in the master at my 1965 traditional house, and just ordered samples of the two blues and light purple for my 1963 modern master bedrooms that we’re fixing to recarpet! It’s not shag though–just regular old fashioned carpet like I remember from the 1960s.

5. Jill says:

If anyone is still looking at this post in 2020, in addition to the “Kids Rule” line, check out “Tennyson” and “Modern Vibe.” Comes in 30 colors. I will never be able to choose only 2. Our house in Carpenteria, CA built 1962, that we lived in in 1976-1977, had carpet like Shaw’s “Modern Vibe” in teal and green (living room) and rust orange and yellow (den). It was so annoying I thought then because the shag got caught in the undercarriage of my Barbie’s corvette.

6. pam kueber says:

Thanks! I had a Barbie Corvette too, but must not have had shag carpet because I don’t remember that particular problem – vroom vroom!