1955 mid-century modern house time capsule — just 1,300 s.f., but packed with spectacular

mid-century-front-porchTour-a-Time-CapsuleLoads of character and original vintage charm can be found in this 1955 time capsule — an amazing mid century house in Fircrest, Washington — offered for sale by realtor Diane Lucas of Keller Williams Realty. Diane contacted us directly just before posting this listing — sounds like word is out that we are famous for our time capsule houses — we now have 80 in our archive! At just 1,300 sq. ft., this modest-sized mid-century house packs a big decor punch: Its features include curved glass block walls, slate flooring, angular brick exterior, a fantastic original steel kitchen complete with vintage Kenmore sink-dishwasher combo, a pink bathroom — and more. Click on through, we have 24 large photos in our gallery –>

mid-century-living-roomFrom the listing:

• Price: $199,900
  • Year built: 1955
  • Square footage: 1,294
  • Bedrooms: 3
  • Bathrooms: 1

Luxury abounds, circa 1955! Fabulous architecture still intact after 58 years. Beautiful clinker brick exterior blends with stylish slate planter box and slanted wing wall. Original front door! Breathtaking living room with slate flooring still looks beautiful. A huge picture window lights up the living room while the curved glass block wall brings in softly diffused light to the dining area. It’s magic.

vintage-kenmore-washerKitchen is all original including a Kenmore combination sink/dishwasher unit. The top opens up and dishes go inside. It needs a rack and a little work but SO WORTH SAVING! We hope someone will spend a little time and bring it back to working condition.

retro-steel-kitchenRed formica is on the back kitchen wall and the counter is stainless steel. Metal kitchen cabinets with FOUR lazy susans and a flour/potato/bread drawer.

vintage-kitchen-retroThe crown jewel of the kitchen is the Westinghouse stove! Notice this is the back side of the fireplace and includes a storage niche.

vintage-pink-bathroom-tubBathroom has a glass block wall and beautiful dark green slate flooring and original tub, sink and toilet. Tile extends around all three walls and the fourth wall is all glass block. All three bedrooms have new carpet and all interior paint is new. Laundry room is located just off the kitchen and also has a door to access back yard and patio. Not only does this house have new carpet and paint, there is a new electrical panel and a new roof. And of course there is a new hot water tank. Don’t miss the pencil sharpener hanging under the cabinet. No 1955 house is complete without one. The artistic patio is complete with metal accents. Glass block wall is behind the bathtub. Door leads to laundry room. Entire back yard is enclosed. This is a beautiful neighborhood in desirable Fircrest. Don’t miss this Mid-Century Gem!

Mega thanks to Realtor Diane Lucas from the Rich Lucas Team, Keller Williams Realty for allowing us to feature her photos and information about this fantastic mid century home.

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

1. Jeff says:

I think the overall look is called “crenelated” when you have the random bricks (clinker or other styles) protruding from the static surface.

2. Allen says:

OH this is excellent. Congratulations on the house! Maybe Pam or Kate could do a posting when you get moved in and fixed up if you would allow us to see your interior. Glad you like the house as is since it is fantastic!

3. Ghislaine says:

I would move right in. I live in a house built in 1958 that I am restoring to its original splendor. This gave me great ideas.

4. suzie says:

I know this is off subject but I’m looking for a shag rug rake. I remember using one as one of my mid week teen chores in the mid 70s. I now own a beautiful 1976 Challet home that we had to put the shag back in. Works perfect with the dark beams n orange/brown/turquoise & harvest gold accents. I would love to rake my shag rug mid week n save the vacuuming for
    weekends. Nothing beats a perfectly coiffed shag. Thanks for u’r great blog. It gave me renewed love and appreciation for the beauty we call our family home.

5. Julie Bush says:

I love this home! It’s adorable and the perfect size for a couple or a single person. Love its simplicity yet distinct details and beautiful lines.
    Darling!

6. pam kueber says:

I don’t know where to get shag rug rakes, suzie, but I’ll add it to the research list. Thanks for you nice comments, your house sounds wonderful!

7. dtremit says:

A few things struck me about that beautiful glass block wall in the dining room. First, the mortar is much thinner than many installations done today. That combined with the unadorned installation — no molding or trim on any of the four sides, that I can see — really makes for a very light look.

I’m also glad to see that that horizontal design block is still available, albeit by special order: http://pittsburghcorning.com/products/loose-glass-block/argus-parallel-flutes.aspx

8. Joe Felice says:

Rug rakes used to be very popular. I just gave mine away a couple of years ago, because my carpet is plush with low pile. Maybe Bed, Bath and Beyond?

9. pnutlaf says:

Does anyone know what the brick “technique” is called in the 2nd and 3rd picture that lays the exterior brick at an angle? Almost cantilevered, but not quite. I see it often in smaller mid century homes of this era, but I can’t find any specific reference to a name.

10. Amy says:

I love a smaller home – it’s all in how you utilize the space and how you furnish it. The MCM/danish modern low-profile sofas etc are great. I would never want to spend every weekend cleaning my McMansion.

11. Angela says:

Is a floor plan of this house available for sale to purchase? I very much like mid century modern and it is not that easy to find a house from this era. Also what are the size of the bedrooms?