S

Shankweiler’s Drive-In Theater — the oldest operating drive-in movie theater in the U.S.

TGIF, whatchyou doing this weekend? Maybe Mod Betty of Retro Roadmap‘s new video about Shankweiler’s Drive In Theater — the oldest in the nation, now celebrating its 81st year — will entice you to consider tracking down an old skool drive-in in your neck of the woods. Need a map to find one? Check out Betty’s Retro Roadmap — here’s the link to drive-in theaters on her growing list — just add your state — find one nearby — raid the coffee can for money for Milk Duds — and head on over.

1. sherree says:

Thank you Mod Betty! I love your dress by the way 🙂 Our little town used to have 2 drive in theaters 🙁 One was still open when I was in high school and was a big hang out for teens and families alike.

2. ChrisH says:

There are 5 still operating in Michigan (very seasonal) I’m sure Betty has all the links already.

Now if we could just get them to show retro films.

3. Janet in ME says:

This is one of those subjects that makes me want to cry. So many wonderful things we grew up with are fast disappearing. I too love diners and drive-ins and we try to shop at the mom and pop stores and independent supermarkets if we can, but they are becoming few and far between. I am also thrilled when I see an old movie theater, with the big marquee over the door, still operating, but you usually only see them in small towns that still have a busy main street not abandoned due to malls. I am deeply saddened that so many big box stores have moved in and taken over, but we have found alot of small businesses still survive up in Maine. This is a wonderful article and website and thanks so much for posting it!

4. CarolK says:

When I was very little, my mom and dad took us 4 kids along with them to see Gone With the Wind at the drive-in in Seneca, SC. All I remember about the film was a pretty girl in a white dress walking across the yard and a big fire.

Earlier this year, my daughter and I took my 5 year-old granddaughter to see Maleficent at the Sunset Drive-in in Shelby, NC. It was so much fun! The management reminded their customers to help out their neighbors that might have a dead battery when they started their cars after the first feature. The snacks are inexpensive, too. As we were leaving, we saw one young couple out on a date complete with a bistro table, chairs and candelabra set up on the back of a pickup. How romantic!

5. stuff2DAY says:

IF you do go, make it a real road trip!

We live not far from the theater too.

A real road trip MUST include Roadside America! http://roadsideamericainc.com

LUNCH at a Yaccos! There are several ONLY near Allentown, PA- GO just to get a great take out bag but stay for the hotdog! It’s an area RETRO treat! That HotDog King is on the “doggy box” too!

….but before it get’s dark – head on up to Pen Argyl PA to pay your respects to the marble heart-shaped tombstone of Jane Mansfield, leaving Pen Argyl make a dinner stop at Daisy Dairy Bar (as the locals know it) – http://www.daisyfamilyrestaurant.com straight from the 1970 but with tasty food too!

PA still has some great places – really want to go all out plan and spend some time (you will NEED it) in Adamstown, PA – if you are into a drive-in these other places make it complete!

6. BungalowMo says:

OMG!!!! I used to go there a few times every Summer! Lived just up the road in Neffs PA.

Oh my goodness…the wonderful memories!! :0)

7. stuff2DAY says:

I’m from Pen Argyl!

I didn’t know how many would be interested.

If you go to the park, it’s only open on the weekends thru the fall.
    Pasties are great! If you only have two meals I would do Daisy but Mr. Pastie does have them frozen – so bring the cooler-those vintage old one stay a lot cooler too! Check with the hours, not sue if they are open Sat anymore.