A

Affordable custom size bedspreads — including hard to find 24″ drop — optional pom poms, too!

midcentury modest bedspreadWhere to find a reasonably-priced bedspread in a custom size — vintage style, preferred? A reader recently asked us this question. Specifically, she wanted two twin bedspreads, each with a 24″ drop (rather than today’s standard, 21″.) Pam said this was a much tougher question that she would ever have guessed — but was quite happy when the solution also included pom poms!

The usual suspects — Vermont Country Store and JC Penney came up zilch re: the 24″ drop. And unless you can do it yourself, we set aside the idea of getting custom bedspreads made: Very spendy.

midcentury modest bedspreadJust $30 more for a custom size bedspread

But after additional, intense searching, we came up with the Bates Mill Store. It offers six styles of 100% cotton Matelasse bedspreads — traditionally woven by Maine Heritage Weavers — which can be made to custom sizes for a very reasonable upcharge of just $30. (Sizes larger than 120″ are $60 more.)

Each of the six customizable styles comes in six color options — Antique, French Blue, Linen, Sage, Wedgewood Blue, and White. And, there are five different fringe options, including pom poms! Prices are fundamentally affordable, ranging from $100 – $290 depending on size and style, plus they are all made in the USA at the company’s Lewistown, Maine, factory.

If you have a queen-sized bed, there are three additional styles that can be resized.

These Bates bedspreads are about as classic as you can get. Pam says she has one on her bed right now — no pom poms, though, and now she wants pom poms! From the Bates website:

Our Matelasse Bedspreads feature a beautiful array of cotton bedspreads with designs that consist of elaborate floral center medallion patterns like the Abigail Adams or Queen Elizabeth to classic all over patterns like the Heritage or Colonial Rose. With this style of weave, the design is woven directly into the bedspread. If you were to run your hand across the top of a Matelassé Bedspread, you would feel a smooth, soft surface. Made in USA, 100% cotton and machine washable.

midcentury bedspreadmidcentury modest bedspreadmidcentury modest bedspreadBates Mill has been producing quality textiles since it was founded in 1850. More on the company’s history from the website:

midcentury bedspreadsOriginal Retailers of America’s Bates Mill Bedspreads
Throughout the Civil War and both World Wars the Bates Manufacturing Company continued to weave its fine quality cloths, with bedspreads being the most rendered for the past 50 years. The Bates Manufacturing Company opened its doors when America was a farming community of only 23 million people and 30 states. Now the weaving company is called Maine Heritage Weavers, a new company birthed in 2002 by former Bates Mill employees. The Bates Mill Store originally opened in the 1950′s to offer discounted second quality bedspreads to Bates Mill employees, but now we sell elegant first quality Bates bedspreads woven by Maine Heritage Weavers the same way that Benjamin Bates designed.

You can read information about the history of Bates Mill Store on their website.

midcentury modest bedspread midcentury modest bedspread midcentury modest bedspread

Link love:

Categoriesbedroom
  1. pam kueber says:

Maybe I’ll rethink the pom poms on the bedspread…. but then again, you must suffer to be beautiful, as my mother always said!

2. Jacki says:

Had a fitted, antique satin spread made by J.C. Penney’s custom drapery dept. for $530 for a King bed.. If you look at the cost of the better Bates spreads I guess that isn’t too bad. The nice thing about it is the decorator measured my bed carefully so it is perfectly crisp all the way around and the perfect length. It is also very heavy weight so it should last a lifetime.

3. Laura says:

Regularly shop Estate Sales! I’m sure you’ll be rewarded for your time. I find 1950s-70s sheets and pillow cases quite often.

4. toni says:

Don’t forget ebay. That’s where all my chenille spreads came from. My very most favorite is getting thin and I contemplated “saving” it but decided to use it until it wore out. Why have it if I can’t enjoy it?

5. Kristina says:

I have a couple of their spreads from the 60’s. Absolutely love them! We have a Cal King which makes it very hard to find vintage bedding so glad I can order a custom size now! Thanks for sharing!

6. Kim McDonald says:

Thanks so much for this post. It is so hard to find just bedspreads–corporate America always want to sell you a bed in a bag with stupid shams and stuff. Plain and simple is nice. Thanks!

7. Joe Felice says:

I’ll never understand why they replaced bedspreads with 2-piece comforters and bed skirts.

8. Nina462 says:

I concur – shop at estate sales to get your sheets, plus they are usually a lovely cotton percale – which you just can’t seem to find in the store nowadays (every thing seems to be microfiber). Give me cotton percales any day!

9. Nina462 says:

oh wow! I’m not allowed to buy any more chenille bedspreads (I have 3). I love them!! except for the marks on your face after taking a nap 🙂

10. Shawna says:

I can second the recommendation of Brylane Home for bed covers, with the caveat to read the material descriptions and measurements carefully! I’ve purchased quilts and bedspread over the years, always opting for 100% cotton content.

11. Shawna says:

I’ve found some excellent vintage sheets at local Goodwill stores near high-end housing areas, as well as estate sales. Take along a measuring tape, as often tags are missing. Give me good old vintage percale, and none of that microfiber stuff – it is the pits.