W

Will an oriental rug work in my tropical Mahalo Lounge?

What do you think?: Will an oriental-design rug work in my tropical-theme Mahalo Lounge?

I have thought for quite a while that I would use an oriental rug in the lounge:

• I love oriental rugs — and they look fantastic in midcentury homes. They are timeless — they have been be around forever…
  • I think that when chosen correctly, they (1) blend, (2) accentuate, and (3) make a statement all their own — all at the same time…
  • And I love mashing things up. And, the more pattern the better. But it’s gotta work; I know it when I see it.

I found this rug at my favorite used furniture store. The colors were right — the slightly muddy coral field! — and so was the price. The back is flaking (I’m reading online that that’s old latex delaminating and can be repaired), so it’s not perfect. But I was itching to get something on the floor, so I took a chance and carted it home.

I waaaaaant it to be right, but I’m not sure. I think it’s going to fight the upholstery of the sectional.

Like I said: I love mashing things up, and I love lots of pattern. But: I am not a professional interior designer who has done scores of rooms. I still need to experiment… to take risks — and ack! spend money… to see if what’s in my head will really translate into a room. This one: I am not sure. What do you think?

Categoriestiki and bars
  1. Toni says:

I got a vintage oriental rug at the ReStore for a decent price. I am frugal so descent to me is probably give away to the rest of you.

2. Ann Haeckl says:

I am completely obsessed with your rug! I know it’s vintage, but I’ve been trying desperately to find something similar, do you know the name/brand of your rug? It might help me narrow down my search. Thanks!

3. MJ says:

I’m with ya’. Orientals fit just about any room in any style, IMHO. Go for it! Now tell me where i can find one in colors like that at a good price! All I see these days is drek! green and ugh browns. Guess it’s just that place in the color cycle where the re-decorators have not caught up with pretty/useful colors……as in the rug you found. Touch me, maybe your luck will rub off on me! Happy Mahaloing.

1. Pam Kueber says:

Vintage… thrift stores… and best, estate sales. That’s where you find colors at a good price.

4. Jeannie says:

I think the patterns are fine in the same room, but not right next to each other. Maybe this rug could be in another part of the room, and a less patterned one right under the sectional area?

5. Ad.. says:

Please do have a look at Afghan ‘elephant foot’ rugs. They would ‘sing’ in the lounge.

Comments are closed.