Wow, it’s hard to find a midcentury-modern style sectional with a curved — or rounded “wedge” back center — piece available new today. But I dug and dug — and found nine designs among four companies. Why aren’t these more popular? I have my theory…

Did they even have squared-off sectionals in midcentury America?

I don’t think so. The only sectional sofas that are really “retro” — as in 1940s, 1950s, 1960s midcentury style — are sectionals with a rounded wedge in the middle. *I think.* That is, I don’t think I’ve seen too many 90-degree, all squared-at-the inside-edge sectional sofas from back in the day.

Our first sectional sofa was vintage — and it was a wedge — and we loved it. Above: We had a new wedge-back sectional built for our Mahalo Lounge from scratch by a local furniture maker, Barclay Furniture. It was really fun to work with a local company — and not that much more expensive including the fact that got eight-way hand-tied springs and also my spendy upholstery was… spendy. The main reason that I ultimately went with a custom-made sectional is that I wanted one with smaller dimensions than currently offered by retailers. My sectional measures just 96″ x 96″. Most of the designs shown below are larger, from about 108″ x 108″ up to 121″ x 121″. Given the size of my rooms, those extra inches made a difference to me.

So far I have only found four places to buy these made new.  The style seems way less popular than squared-off sectionals, although I think wedges look better and are more functional too. I will also make a bet: Those big curvy corner wedges are a bear to make, to ship, to store, and to deliver. I bet furniture makers prefer not to push them. What do you think?

Four places to buy midcentury-modern style, wedge-back sectional sofas:

Note, the center piece seems to be formally called a “wedge”. As in: wedge of pie. Makes sense.

And note, my list is not in any particular order:

Rowe:

rowe brady sectionalLike a number of designs in this story, Rowe Furniture’s Brady sectional also can be ordered sans an arm on one side with a sitting cushion thingie instead on either side. My husband and I thought about this option, but decided that while it looked swanky, it was less functional.

Room and Board:

Room and Board’s Reese curved sectional comes in two sizes.

Joybird:

Joybird really caters to the mid mod crowd, and they have six different designs of round corner sectional — their navigation takes you right to them, easy peasy. Note: Joybird is currently an advertiser on my site; they did not pay me to write this story or anything.

West Elm:

West Elm’s Valencia curved back sectional seems era-bending, but I find it appealing.

Oh and…

I started watching for vintage sectionals on ebay. See my archive on pinterest here.

Nice, huh! Let me know if you find any other sources, readers, and I’ll add them to the list.

Categoriesfurniture
  1. eliza says:

They don’t look like a good place to take a nap. When my family buys a new couch we test it for napability. This is one retro item that I can’t get into.

2. ineffablespace says:

Kind of off topic, but about furnishing a mid century house vs. a new build.
    I had a client who tore down a midcentury split and built a new “traditional farmhouse” style house in it’s place. Roughly 4000 sq. feet. Furnished it essentially from scratch. Got divorced sold the house and bought the same house she had torn down next door.

About 1700 square feet. Almost 100% of the furniture from the 4000 sq. foot house fit.

Why? The large house had centered doors into every room, spaced out and centered windows all of which went to about 18″ above the floor, and the main living area was a walless great room.
    There was no place to put furniture close to the walls because it would either be in front of a low window or close to a doorway.
    There was one spot in each bedroom to squeeze a bed without it being in front of the window and then the end tables still were.

In the midcentury house, the doors to the rooms were in the corner, and each bedroom had a combination of one large window (but with a sill height of about 30″) and high awning windows.
    Furniture like dressers could park Under the larger windows and the natural spot for the bed was under the awning windows or along the awning windows.

Every room had at least one long unbroken wall for one large piece of furniture be it a bed, a sofa a chest. Windows allowed for things to be placed under them instead of blocking them partially.

So it’s difficult sometimes to dress two different types of windows in the same room, but not impossible, –and easier than trying to figure out where furniture goes without being in front of a window

3. judy h. says:

That JOYBIRD sectional has a place waiting for it in MY home! This may be a turn off for some of you, but I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it in that same turquoise shade in velvet! You heard me!!

4. Phyllis says:

We had a curved sectional and replaced it with a squared angle. The curved ones do look better I admit however the curve really doesn’t allow a sitter to stretch out and put their feet up.

5. Beth says:

I have a right-angle mid-century sectional. One side is about another third longer than the shorter one (seats 5-6 comfortably). Lovely turquoise and green weave. One long seat cushion on each piece. It sits lower than a standard sofa, so those with height and/or long legs are not as comfortable as I am at only 5′.

6. Ursula says:

Wow — the cocoa brown Joybird set looks identical to the one we grew up with. Finally had to trash the two largest pieces in the early 90s (after 35 years of grueling use) because the legs and fabric wore out. The wedge lasted until maybe 5 years ago.

I’d love to have that cocoa set back in my space. Thank you, Pam.

7. Tani says:

We recently purchased the Monroe 3 piece curved sectional from Apt2b. The quality is great and it was much less expensive than the similar styles at Joybird. Lots of color choices too!