S

Sheet flooring for a 1970s house — Tapestry from Mannington

pattern vinyl flooringDo you want patterned vinyl or linoleum flooring? I get a fair number of questions from readers asking where to find it — and the pickins are slim. Here’s an option new in 2018, though: The “Tapestry” design luxury vinyl sheet flooring by Mannington. The pattern very much reminds me of the sheet vinyl that was put into my kitchen when it was fashionably renovated in 1976. So I’d say: This design would be appropriate for a 1970s-style Retro Renovation.

It comes in four colorways, I prefer the ones with blue in them. Because color. My c. 1976 floor was very very blue.

blue pattern vinyl floor

light blue pattern kitchen floor

patterned kitchen floor

Link love:

CategoriesFlooring
  1. daiseedeb says:

I loved my 1960s orange/gold/brown floor in a similar pattern as above in one of my first homes. And, I am a’ blue’ person! My cupboards were white with the black wrought handles, and the counter tops were a sunny solid yellow/gold. My blue china plates looked stunning in there….as a few of them had yellow in the design. Wish I had that home again! ; )

2. Allison says:

That rocky pattern is an excellent copy of what had just been laid in our living room when we moved into the house in 1969.

Which, incidentally, we thought was totally au courant and seriously cool.

3. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Michele, I think this would be a tough find — a needle in a haystack to find old stock exactly like what you have. Perhaps you could buy them made new today 12X12 and have them cut to size?

Also be aware that old flooring (and other materials in our old houses) can contain vintage nastiness such as asbestos, lead, etc. Be sure to get with properly licensed professionals to assess what you have so you can make informed decisions about how to handle. For more info see my Be Safe/Renovate Safe page

4. Marie Gamalski says:

Looking for a house, it’s SOOO unpleasant to realize grey has replaced the equally yukky “greige”… I walk in, and think…….great……gallons, and gallons of paint….hours, and hours of MY labor (what qualifies as a painter, in my area….ahem…is NOT my idea of a painter) then there’s the flooring, and carpet ALL in a cold grey…. it’s so disappointing….

5. pamela l holland says:

I have a 1976 brick home. The original flooring is similar in pattern but is glazed ceramic tile. I love it.

6. Toni says:

When I special ordered my Marmoleum the sales lady kept calling it vinyl no matter how many times I corrected her and also told her the difference in composition. You’d think, working in the business…

7. Sandra says:

A local flooring company went out of business leaving me in possession of a rainbow ring of Marmoleum samples. I LOVE all the colors on the ring, from infrared to ultraviolet. It was so hard to pick just one for my kitchen.
    There are a few flooring artists around who can join together different colored sheets to create designs, but I haven’t done that since it wouldn’t be period appropriate for a residence.

8. Kathy says:

I had linoleum installed in my previous house, built in 1928, in a 3 color border pattern. I loved it. It required no special maintenance – just a damp mop. In times past, it was customary to apply a high-gloss wax shine. That required extra maintenance. I’ve heard that linoleum can develop a haze that can be easily buffed off with a microfiber cloth, but that never happened to me. In my current house, I have cork, which I also love. But linoleum comes in an incredible array of colors. Don’t hesitate to check it out.