More photos from Alice – a Retro Renovation re-run

Remember Alice and her yellow Geneva kitchen in Richmond, Virginia? We’ve stayed in touch, and she sent some additional photos of her time capsule house.

Here’s her update:

You see I got busy with the camera. Attached are a couple of photos of the wallpaper in the dining room of our new, old house..I love the paper and am keeping it! In case the colors aren’t clear, it’s pink and blue pheasants on pink, blue, green and cream flower stems – all on a metallic silver background! The colored areas of the paper have a feel and look as though it’s hand painted…just lovely!

And because you asked, and knowing your crowd will enjoy, this I have included a few photos of our den with what appears to be a hand-made tray ceiling; a cute little bar/liquor closet that was definitely a handy-mans delight (fyi – I would love some photos/info regarding tiki bars – or whatever bars were typical of the ’50’s); a couple of ceiling fixtures that we have inherited; and did I mention they are the most fabulous closets? I’ve included a particular closet – a top-to-bottom cedar lined closet that is approximately 12′ x 12′.

And, Alice sent photos of her aqua (mint green?) bathroom with great yellow sink and original wallpaper. Thanks again, Alice, I’m mint green with envy!

Click photos below SEVERAL times to get to largest possible version:

This post was originally published early May, 2008.

Comments

1. Jason says

OMG, what do I want more–the dining room wallpaper, the floor tile in the bathroom, or the shelf cubby? No, I think it’s the tile border in the bathroom! I’m taking that photo with me to the tile place when I’m ready to pick out tile for my bathroom. I’ll ask if they have anything close. It’s perfect.

Great home, Alice!

2. Femme1 says

That tile border is exactly the same style (different colors) that my mother has in her circa 1951 ranch in central Pennsylvania. Hers is pink and blue, and I’ve always loved it. The raised texture is what really makes it pop.

3. Femme1 says

Oh yeah. What has really intrigued me is the photo of the den’s tray ceiling. Are those panelled rectangles on the walls at the bottom of the photo just decoration? Or are their little cubbies behind them? Either way, they’re great. What a treasure trove of a house!

4. Alice says

Thanks for posting the photos Pam!

The sink in the aqua bathroom is actually aqua, not yellow, I’m just not that good at controlling my camera!

To Femme1 – the panelled rectangles that you see in the photo with the tray ceiling are actually the tops of the built-in floor-to-ceiling shelving.

Thanks for your comments and support everyone…I have a feeling you will be the support we’ll need as we actually begin making the home ours!

5. Kitschy Kimberly says

I am in love with everything! Also that wallpaper is fabulous! I wouldn’t change a thing either.

6. Tera says

This is a my idea of a palace, a mansion, my dream house, heaven… Sigh…. glad it fell into Alice’s hands!

7. Pam S. says

I always thought that maybe I was the only one who thought like this and I’m so glad to have discovered a site where there are other people like me! Beautiful houses!

Hi R.N., the wallpaper is original vintage. There are a number of sources to search for similar styles – and maybe you also will find extra rolls of this one – but for sure, a long shot. Look at my category “Wallpaper” to see posts on places and companies from which to buy vintage and vintage-style wallpaper.

9. smit4675 says

I have the same Aqua Green tile bathroom. Due to plumbing repairs some of the tiles where removed. Does anyone know which company manufactured the tile, and where I can find it?

I checked with Daltile and they don’t have the color.

10. chris says

I finally found someone else with the same 50’S plastic pale green tile bathroom. I’ve been having a hard time trying to figure out what to do about the wall colors above the tile. I saw the wall paper you have and guess i need to go in that direction. I initially painted it white but it doesn’t do much for me. If anyone knows a good place to start looking for vintage wall paper i’d love to know.
    chris092052@yahoo.com
    Thanks
    Chris

• says

Hi Chris, you are in the right place – I am the #1 fan of vintage wallpaper. Here’s my post on the three main sources. In addition, Bradbury & Bradbury (bradbury.com) makes nice vintage reproduction paper; for a bathroom talk to them about the special coating to help combat moisture.

Also, just search Vintage Wallpaper and you will see other, related posts. Welcome.

11. sablemable says

Glad to see someone else has a green and yellow bathroom! Looks so lovely! And the ceiling lights! WOW!!!!!!!

Oh, I love that bathroom tile! I also live in Richmond, VA so it makes my heart soar to know that they are still houses here that haven’t been changed. It gives me hope.