Midcentury “Cinderella bathtubs”

1947-am-st-neoangle

Rerunning this post — because in the meantime I discovered these are called “Cinderella bathtubs.” Here’s Alice’s, too. There were “Cinderella windows”, too. Stay tuned on that one.

We are getting a clean start hehehe to 2009 with this post showcasing some simply wonderful bathtubs from the postwar period. Oh my gosh, look at this 1947 “neo angle” from American Standard … My dream bathtub, no question. But if I had one of these, there probably wouldn’t be a blog, because I’d never leave it. Read on for more vintage tubs … and 6 photos in all…

1959 kohler mayflower bathtub

Above: A 1959 Kohler Mayflower, recessed. Kohler still makes the Mayflower model – it’s petite, but very nice! If I had the space, I’d use it – in pink, of course!
1959-kohler-cosmopolitan

Doesn’t this 1959 Kohler Cosmopolitan just glisten! Notice the little rings holding back the shower curtain in all these images. I’ve never seen this before. Do you think people really did this in their homes? Or is it just for advertising, to show off the tubs while still featuring a shower curtain? Readers – any real-life examples found in your time capsule homes?

1959-kohler-text-2

The copy is fun to read. I think that Amy’s little tub/shower may be the Kohler Standish “showering bath” mentioned here.

This post was originally published on Jan. 2, 2008.

Comments

1. Pixie says

We live in what we believe is a big 1940’s home. Huge rooms with beautiful woodwork and tall doors. But in the bathroom is this small yellow bath tub. It is about 32″ x 42″ with the corner shelf. The basin part it is in the shape of an L (sort of).
    It’s great for the grandchildren but too small for an adult bath. I have sat Indian style in it. It’s also our shower so it works well for that. The layout does not permit a 5 or 6′ tub without major renovation. I’m considering the Kohler “Mayflower” but $2000 is a little steep.

2. karen says

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A RETRO PINK BATHTUB, SINK AND TOILET? I AM IN MASSACHUSETTS.

3. Connie Lewis says

I have a square pink cinderella tub by American Standard. It is in good condition, but needs a good cleaning – I’m also (gasp) thinking of painting it white.
    Any suggestions on cleaning methods to restore the lustre?

check out one of our sponsors – deabath.com – they have great cleaning products — and advice if you need it, tell ’em i sent you

4. Alex Metral says

Wonderful, in a few seconds I found out what my “square” pink bathtub is called and how to clean it. Ours also has a chrome shower ring to mirror the shape. I will take pictures! Looking to install a new shower head/piece though, looking for inspirational (1951 ish but new) replacement.

5. Marcia Adams says

Just discovered, thanks to a piece about your blog, that we have a white Cinderella tub. We are preparing for a total remodel of the bathroom in our 1959 ranch home. The bidding contractors are telling us they would “get rid of it” by destroying it.

Seems like we have a “56 Chevy” equivalent in the bathtub category!

Any tips on finding a new home for our classy little tub? We live in Santa Cruz, California.

6. Brian says

Just now seeing this — In my last house, a 1900 Queen Anne, the main bathroom has a white tub similar to the yellow one shown here, but with straight sides, not an oval. There are a number of advantages no one has mentioned. You get “shelves” for your candles or magazines when you want a real bathing event. AND you can scooch crossways in the tub, which is perfect for resting your neck on one tub wall and resting your lower legs on the opposite shelf.

The bathroom in question had been redone in the 1970s or 1980s — cultured “marble” vanity top, fluorescent tube lighting, curling yellowed vinyl floor. Except for the tub area, tucked into an alcove, all the walls were clad in raw, unfinished wood, laid on the diagonal. I was told that the wood came from an actual barn. There was no way to clean it at all except to brush the dust off.

I gutted the entire room — the only visible remainders were the ceilings, and the tub, which was reglazed.

7. Jessie says

I need advice on hanging a new curtain rod for the Cinderella tub. I ordered a new rod and attachment pieces. However it has two support poles that hang down from the ceiling and I am not sure where to hang them. My dIlemma is how the shower curtain will work as it can’t pass over the two hanging rods. I am a new owner of a fabulous 1950’s house and trying to keep it as original as possible so I have no doubt this is only the first of many questions! Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Funny, but when I put “how to hang a shower curtain on a neo angle rod” in google, I get junk sites. hahahaha. However, this photo shows using only one support. I think this would be fine, as long as your shower curtain, liner and shower rings are not too heavy. Get ya two shower curtains – one will go left, the other will go right. How does that sound? If you look at the Cinderella bathtub on my site from a vintage ad, it seems like this was the way it was done — kind of like drawing drapes. Let me know if this helps! Send pics!

• Andrew says

On 4 years late, but I have a cindarella tub that my neighbor gave me and it included what was the original curtain rod. The rod is one piece and makes a 90 degree bend; the corner is chamfered just like the tub. This rod design worked for 60 years. Let me know if you would like me to send you a picture.

8. Haans Petruschke says

Hi,

I’m planning to renovate my main bath. It has an American Standard, Neo Angle tub. in desert rose color, with no chips corrosion. I have heard people will buy these retro fixtures and remove them. How does one find such a buyer?

9. Julie says

I found Save the Pink Tile while searching for how to cover up my pink tile. I was convinced to save the tile. I took the pledge! Then I found out we have a white Cinderella tub! I love our tub. I just saw the same model we have here http://deabath.com/Original/Or_tubs1/or_tubs1.html . Expensive! I knew it was cool but apparently it is also valuable.

This says it’s a 1966 tub. Our house was built in 1937. So perhaps our tub was part of an earlier renovation.

My house was built in 1937 and the bathtub is still the original one. And it has a metal hook at one end that we assume was used to hold back the shower curtain 🙂