9 bedrooms, living rooms and kids’ spaces from 1967

1967 bedroom black and whiteToday, nine images of 1960s bedrooms, kid’s spaces and more from my new stash of vintage Sherwin-Williams paint brochures. I’m seeing plenty of good ideas in these interiors from 1967. In particular, I love the built-in nooks… the high-contrast, graphic interiors… and the wonderful touch the interior designers have, in terms of choosing accent colors that keep your eyes dancing through the room. This is a real skill – but it can be learned by training your eye.

These rooms also have great “shapes” going on throughout. Again – graphic, but… with just the right “touch”.  The person or team from Sherwin-Williams who did these 60s interior designs was very talented. And you know, I just paused and went back through the 1965 and 1966 brochures, and I don’t think it’s the same person/team… there’s a real shift, I think I’m seeing more layering, more visual complexity… 1968, 1969 and 1970 designs are coming up… we’ll see.

To view the slide show, click on the first thumbnail. Once it’s enlarged, click on the arrow below to move forward or back. You can start the slide show from any spot…

Comments

1. Josie says

Look at that dark-turquoise ceiling dining room. Its dramatic and delicious without being cartoonish.

I don’t even normally gravitate to blue and I love that.

Meanwhile, that yellow and green dining nook with banquette seating is about the most adorable thing ever.

2. Shane Walp says

That cut slate flooring is kool. The house I grew up in was built in ’63 and had a 40″ sw. landing inside the front door with that, which, even at the age of 22, I kept when it came up. I still have it, and haven’t put it in anywhere.

3. Cynthia says

Love these! Very inspiring! Thanks for posting them.

I would love to redo my kids’ rooms…someday. They are low priority, however — well after our bedroom, the main living areas, and the kitchen and bathrooms. We do have great colors in the kids’ rooms — a deep cobalt blue for the walls of my boys’ room, and a rich lavender in my daughter’s room. But the furniture is strictly 21st century kids’ sturdiness from a big-box furniture store. Oh well. 😉

I think my instinct to redo my own bedroom in black, white and yellow is spot-on. This is a bit insane (I do not want black walls) but still looks great.

5. tuttijackson says

I was thinking of a mod black and white with bright yellow scheme for our anniversary party, and there you are with the inspiration! Love it!

Check out the “Catalogs” tab in the navigation bar — you will surely get lost in our catalogs for a while!

6. Anastasia says

Well the 3 yr old responds with “That’s my room, let’s paint!” You know we have a winner, lol!

I like that a few rooms need no updating or minimal updating to be truly classic! (Zebra or brocade for the black/white teens room anyone?)

7. Heather says

You know at first I thought that these were current photos! Funny! Love the ‘loungy’ living room! Great ideas, thanks for posting 🙂

8. Kim T. says

I was trying to read the description of the room dividing screen in picture 9. Did I read that right, they are furnace filters? It’s a cool look.

I also love the black/white/yellow room. I have one of my own. 🙂

9. James Weddle says

I remember when my mother brought this brochure home from the paint store. I fell in love with the room on the cover and held on to it long into my adult years. it still is one of the most appealing and romantic rooms I ‘ve ever seen. I am so glad you posted it.