16 mod interior designs from 1968

1968-attic-design-with-apricot-color-paintI am in the process of cleaning out my attic right now, in order to add more insulation. I am on a ‘green’ kick that I have not begun to write about yet… that’s another miniseries coming up sometime soon. Meanwhile, we’re heading toward the finish of my blast-of-the-past week of 1960s interiors. Maybe after I finish my attic purge, I’ll then have space available to make it over into a teenage groove pad just like this 1968 Sherwin Williams design. The wall color is “lush apricot.” Dreamy. Click on through for 15 more eye popping interiors from 1968…

To view the slide show, click on the first thumbnail. Once it’s enlarged, click on the arrow below to move forward or back. You can start the slide show from any spot…

Comments

1. Guy H. says

I love those albums on the wall. It looks like there is some kind of small shelf that keeps them in place. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

• Melissa says

I did something similar in my home and created an awesome wall art piece. I used plastic/vinyl J-Channel (meant for hanging vinyl siding) that I found in 12ft lengths at home depot. (See picture of it here: http://justwoodandnails.com/exterior/j-channel.htm ). I cut the pieces down to the size I wanted and used nails every foot or so to secure it to the wall. Then you just place your record right inside the channel. It works great!!

You’re killing me with the chairs, Pam!

In fact, I’m developing an obsession with them. I’ve blogged about them twice in the hopes that someone will know more about them.

Hope you don’t mind that I used some of your pics (with links back here, of course!) – if you do, please let me know.

3. HeidiAnn says

OOOOHH!! I spy my favorite little colorful cardboard 3-drawer jewelry boxes on the desk!! Look how many they have! I LOVE those little boxes.

• ami says

I’m obsessed with those, too. I remember them fondly from the period and wish they would make them available again. They are hard to search for on Ebay without the specific name. Surely some Chinese factory could be turning them out for Dollar Tree…

• Magnarama says

I was a teenager in San Francisco in the late ’60s, and we all had zillions of those shiny little boxes. We bought them at a store called Takahashi (a sort of Asian imports Crate & Barrel of its day — hip housewares real cheap). And I’ve found a few on eBay in the recent past by searching on that name, because they had store stickers on them. They were surprisingly durable, unless they got wet. Mine lasted well into my 30s.

• Elaine says

I have one of those little boxes, and couldn’t remember where I got it, it’s orange. Amazing that it has survived all the moves. I have a little orange stuffed doggie that my boyfriend gave me in 1968 that sits on the box, I am sure they have been pardners all this time. Some habits are good to keep. I kept the BF, too, 41 years this month.

• Robert says

Was it a Daikin Dreampet by any chance?
        They brought the line back for a (sadly) short time in the early ’00s to compete with the Beanie Baby craze.
        Worked at a shop that sold them, only to buy almost the whole collection when they were marked down to $1.99.
        Brought back memories of the red Dachshund one I had as a little kid.

4. Dot says

Some of this brings back memories! I’m trying to see how many of those albums I still have stored away in the attic (so far all I recognize is the Monkees). Thanks for all the pics Pam. It’s fun to see what was in style (even if it’s not your own personal style).

5. Al Curnow says

I love the big fat happy Sol on buffed with colour page, alot of these images remind me of my parents house, my mother was mad for paint and wallpaper and she was always changing things up. they make me smile………………..

6. Alice says

Pam, I’d love to read the article titled “What’s a Whatsit Room?”…anyway to get that so we can read it?

Hi Pam- How funny that you just put this out as we are about to close on our 1968 ranch at the end of this week! And we are painting our hall bath (that has the lovely gold-flecked countertop) Porter Paint’s Twisted Taffy which looks an awful lot like the photo of the green and gold bathroom you just featured! I am loving it even more now! Guess we were dialed into 1968 when we picked our paint colors. Thanks for all of the great inspiration. If you have any leads on a Hall-Mack mermaid towel ring please send them my way- doesn’t that green just scream mermaids?
    Lisa

Congratulations, Lisa! The Mermaid towel rings DO show up on ebay now and then. I’ll keep an eye out and if I see one I will post it. Send me pics of your new/old home when it’s ready for prime time!

8. Natalie Martin says

I have a Hall-Mack mermaid towel ring if anyone is interested. It was in the bathroom of the house I just bought.