• ‘Betty Crafter’ says, Yes to the Knotty Pine!

knotty pine kitchen blue appliances‘Betty Crafter’ wrote me a happy email and sent me these happy photos, which reminded me that I need to start another microsite in the same vein as Save The Pink Bathrooms. Only the new blog will be called: Say Yes to the Knotty Pine. Don’t try to buy the url away from me. It’s mine all mine buwahahaha. Meanwhile, here is Betty’s “miracle” story and more photos of her gorgeous time capsule knotty pine kitchen…She writes:

beautiful knotty pine kitchen on retro renovation blogWe just bought the house less than a month ago so we have a long way to go, but here’s our short story so far!

built in shelves in mid century knotty pine kitchenMy husband and I decided to move because although we lived in a pretty fab 50′s house in a great location, it didn’t have the original kitchen and bathrooms I’d always wanted.  Just before our house hit the market, I saw this one online.  I almost stopped breathing.  I really didn’t think a house like this existed!  Turquoise counters?  Knotty pine paneling in half the house? A pink AND a green bathroom? Fireplace? Creek? Barn?

Crikey!

“It looks like the inside of a Spartan trailer!”  I squealed.

1950s intercom systemI immediately called our realtor who refused to show it to me because: “I’m already showing that house to two clients who DON’T have homes to sell first.”

Well I was so insane for this house that the hubs and I drove there and convinced the seller to show it to us herself!  Upon seeing it in person I was even more sure this was home.  It’s a miracle we ended up here because we weren’t the only ones who loved this house.  But luckily for us the other offers fell through just about the time we got offers on our home, and here we are!

dinette chair for knotty pine kitchenWe don’t want to change much because the house is pretty much perfect.  We tore up the carpet to install green apple VCT in all the areas with the knotty pine paneling and hardwoods in the rest of the house.  The turquoise stove and bar chairs came with the house – lucky us! Otherwise it’s all original.

Is it possible to be in love with a physical object? I could not love my new house any more. Also, I’ve started a blog — Betty Crafter – to chronicle our caretaker and preservation efforts if anyone’s interested…  The pink bathroom has an unfortunate 80′s vanity, but I found a pink wall hung sink for $5 on the forums here that will be going in soon. Then some fresh paint inside and out and a Crestview Door and we’re done!  My main concern is preserving what’s here.  There are a few stains on the counters, and I’d like to find the best way to clean them and protect them from future stains.  I also need to give my paneling the “Eartha Kitsch treatment” but they are in pretty decent condition as is.

Also, in one of the first shots I sent, that is a NuTone Intercom/Radio that even goes out to the barn!  We even have the owner’s manual – when we moved in there was a file folder on the counter with every receipt for service and owner’s manual to everything in the house since the 70′s.

betty crafterThanks for thinking my dream kitchen is as awesome as I do!

Crikey! BC, you have some mighty fine happy going on there in your little piece of time capsule paradise. I love the way you used the fabric on the kitchen chair to choose your floor color and tie in with the skylark blue Formica countertops. I also LOVE the way the peninsula eating area curves out, from the bottom (eating counter) to top (prep counter) – what a great idea from the past. Send me pics of your other projects when they are ready for prime time. And: A barn and a creek? Those, too!  Tip: for cleaning countertops, our reco is Countertop Magic

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. Nothing warms my heart like seeing a great vintage house kept the way it’s meant to be. It breaks my heart to see people tear up or paint over such a thing of beauty. Congratulations on your great new digs!

2. As much as I hated my knotty pine cabinet – you have made it look very appealing. I want mine back so I can do the turquoise with it! Fabulous!

3. I loved this post….would love to have a house just like it, with all of the accessories. My parents were in their 20′s and 30′s in the 50′s and 60′s and honestly the houses, the styles, everything about that era, I feel comfortable in. My parents had their home built in the 60′s…some retroness, but not like yours!!! Your blog made my day!

4. Tania Lynn Petry says:

I am DROOLING here!

5. Incredible lookin kitchen!

6. You must have bought out ebay! You already have everything to match and you have been in it a month. LOL You go girl. No one should ever buy a house unless they love it like you do yours. Blessings on your life there.

• Betty Crafter says:

gayka, believe it or not, I didn’t have to buy a thing. Part of the reason this house was perfect for me was that my kitchen colors have always been turquoise and avocado, so I already had a kitchen full of matching dishes and kitchenware!

7. Betty Crafter says:

By they way, the kitchen isn’t all the knotty pine in my house. The dining room and one of the living areas also have knotty pine paneling. In all, close to half the house is paneled in knotty pine!

8. I stumbled upon both yours and this site yesterday too funny

9. It is nice to see these cabinets in their original form–very beautiful.

We just bought a 1956 split level, and ALL OF THE WOOD has been painted white by the former owner to “freshen it up” for the sale. Oak (not even pine) paneling in most rooms and family room, sliding closet doors, all room doors, original wood vanities in both original bathrooms (one pink/grey tile and the other pink with green sink!!!!) and the original wood kitchen cabinets. We just love this house, but are very sad about the painted everything.

Is there any hope to restore the wood look by removing the paint, or are these things ruined forever. . . . ?

• Sure, the paint can be removed with paint stripper. Some brands work better than others. It’s a messy job and requires ventilation. It will probably remove the original clear finish (varnish or polyurethane) along with the darned white paint.

• We did think of paint stripper, but wondered especially with the room and closet doors could we ever really get all paint out–that wood seems more porous. I have a painting contractor I will ask about it, but if you have any experience with actually doing this I’d love to hear about it.

10. The turquoise everywhere is just wonderful! I don’t think I would ever get tired of that stove and I love how the counter becomes a little bar to sit at.

11. Ozzie & Harriet had a knotty pine kitchen in their tv show!

• I also have new/old house of my dreams – in Florida Gulf town w/ turquoise walls, screened lanai w/ pond – slowly furnishing w/ vintage & ultra modern – turquoise & chartreuse everything and lots of trailing philodendron & no videos or music before 1963

12. Marjorie says:

We had the same stove for many years. My mother absolutely refused to get rid of it until it was literally on its last legs. It lasted from 1953 to the mid 1990′s. The push buttons that controlled the burners had different colored lights which fascinated me as a kid. Thanks for the happy memories seeing your stove. Love your kitchen too.

13. That kitchen is just too cute. I love it!

14. Mark E. says:

A total, total c-o-m-f-o-r-t kitchen. My only suggestion is to re-locate the paper towels away from the area above the range. We would all be so very sad if the unthinkable were to happen.

15. Agree with Mark E. about the paper towels. You can find some great period paper towel dispensers on ebay. Lincoln Beauty Ware says it best.

The only other thing I’d change is that modular phone plug. Get the proper four-prong push-in plug for a place that’s so visible up above that countertop.

16. Johnny 5 Fachy says:

Absolutely fantastic and I’m so happy you appreciate the beauty of what was considered a high end luxury look back in the day! My dad and uncle built a family room for my aunt back in the mid1950′s when I was a kid and it was, you guessed it, knotty pine from top to bottom and so warm, inviting and beautiful! Enjoy your home, it looks great, love your style and passion!

17. Phyllis Dollman says:

A friend of mind shared the photo of your kitchen…and it’s very similar to my own, but without the lovely turquoise stove & countertops, or bar seating area. When we bought this house in l977, a huge selling point for me was the knotty pine cabinets in the kitchen, one wall in the living room and wainscoting in the dining room [now the computer room, that still has the original brass & crystal chandelier, pulled up high, since no longer have a dining room table underneath]. The kitchen’s original subway style, white tile backsplash around three walls, is still in excellent condition but the white with brown ‘speckled’ countertops I thought needed some refurbishing. After reading these blogs, tho, am thinking I shall consider they have a marvelous patina…and, willingly, leave them alone! :) Thanks for this site. I’ve never commentedd on a blog before, but feel like I’ve found some brand new, kindred spirit, best friends!

• pam kueber says:

YAY, WELCOME to our tribe!!! Yes: WE LOVE PATINA!!!! Your kitchen sounds wonderful!

• Phyllis Dollman says:

Thanks for your reply of welcome, Pam. As for the photos & comments, another ‘feature’ I didn’t realize we had that was so desirably retro as well…the NuTone radio/intercom, throughout the house. As the years past, it started having so ‘static’, we pretty much ceased using it…but it remains a visible presence. I just never thought of having it even checked, much less repaired!

It wasn’t until I saw the rest of the photos, after coming ‘on board’ the blog site, that I additionally fell in love with her gorgeous display cabinet, unseen in the original photo.

I’ve had various shelves & cabinets in & out of my kitchen, [upon which I could display wonderful family pieces, deserving to be showcased], but currently have two parrots & cages against the one sole painted wall, alongside the table & chairs, so the display shelves had to go back to another room.

Surely someday I won’t be dealing with bird feathers & constant cleanup with them, in the kitchen, along with the dog & cat & people, coming’s & going’s through the ‘heart beat’ room of our house. In the meantime, I need to work harder on eliminating the high degree of clutter that has crept into my surroundings, over the years…and those lovely posted photos make me want to git h’er done, already… and allow the basic beauty of my home’s rooms to re-emerge as genuine living space, not a warehouse! Thanks everyone, for inspiring me…

18. Oh wow! I seen this and immediately showed my children. They were amazed at how similar our kitchen looks! I have that exact hood too! We also have a den behind the kitchen with the real wood plank paneling complete with nook beds on either side of our oversized fireplace and built in book cases.

I recently bought a 1950s house complete with a pink and blue master bath that had some updates (no tub anymore) before I purchased it. The small downstairs guestbath is blue and yellow. Of course I was so wanting to get rid of the pink at first but now want to actually restore it back to the original look. I cannot wait to keep reading!

19. As a 30s 40s guy, I just want to point out that, as seen in a lot of movies from around 1940, knotty pine was already popular by then in the hipper trendier suburban homes.

20. Great kitchshen, you Knotty Lady!!! I have an original matching vintage dishwasher, that works great, if you are interested:)

21. Roberta Jones says:

This is completely FABULOUS. I have never seen a better color combo to go with knotty pine. My house originally had knotty pine but it was replaced 20+ years ago. I love my house anyway and have many 50′s features in it.

22. Sstandard says:

I can’t believe I actually got chillbumps!