From Ace & Acme to Yorktown & Youngstown:
Our guide to
80 82 83 84 85 brands of metal kitchen
cabinets made after World War II
NOTE: I am in the process of working to integrate all existing research on to this page –it’s gonna take a while!
The product that started it all — the blog, that is: Vintage steel kitchen cabinets. I wanted to renovate my kitchen. Vintage steel kitchen cabinets entered my consciousness. I went on a five-year quest to find a set. Along the way I also obsessively researched how to put a 1950s-1960s kitchen together. When I was all done, it turned out so well that I started the blog to share what I had learned. In my cabinet-quest, I already had identified many brands of steel kitchen cabinets made back in the day. And in the years since — very often with the help of readers — we have identified a total of 80 different brands of metal kitchen cabinets built before, during but most after World War II —
78 80 82 brands of steel, two brands of aluminum; 78 brands in the U.S., three brands in the U.K., one brand in Australia.
First up, please read:
Then dive in:
88 brands of metal kitchen cabinets — pretty amazing, huh!
- Acme Metal Products Corp.
- American Central Division
- Anemone Kitchen Furnishings (U.K.)
- Art Metal Cabinets
- Beautycraft Custom
- Beauty Queen
- Blietz Construction, Chicago; maybe; (added per spotting by Jim, Sept. 2016)
- Briggs Beautyware
- Dieterich Steel Cabinet Corp.
- English Rose (U.K.)(Aluminium)
- Hallmark Custom Steel Kitchen Cabinets, manufactured in Wellsburg, W. Va. (added Jan. 2017)
- Harrison Steel Cabinet Co.
- Humphreys Manufacturing (#85, added August 2017)
- J&L Steel
- Kirby (Australia)
- Kitchen Kraft
- Kitchen Queen
- Lustron (The latest addition, as we suspect they made their own steel cabinets for their steel houses. Thanks, Jim!)
- Leisure Made
- Modern Steel Co., Geneva, Ill. *added 12/21/16
- Midwest Mfg. Company
- Morgan Kitchen Cabinets
- Miller Metal Proucts, Inc.
- Morhand Kitchens
- Montgomery Ward
- Olympia Aluminum Kitchen Kabinets
- Palley Manufacturing Co.
- Paul (U.K.)
- Roberts & Mander Corp.
- St. Charles
- Servel, Inc.
Shirley All-Steel Kitchens and bathroom cabinets
- United Lifetime Kitchens
- United Metal Cabinet Corp.
- Whitehead Monel
- Wood-Metal Kitchen Cabinets (added Jan. 2017)
Note: In my compendium, I do not include companies that seemed only to have made single-unit items. That is, some companies made steel hoosier cabinets… some made only a sink base with sink… and companies like Dwyer made apartment kitchen combos. I don’t include these — I want to focus on companies that made complete kitchens with lots of mix-and-match models that you could order in bulk to fill out a typical family fitted kitchen. In this sense, I should probably not include Lustron on the big list above, as it was bespoke only for Lustron houses; I may take out of the list at some point — or perhaps make and put it into a supplementary list along with the other such units described in this section; pondering.
- Our complete steel kitchen cabinet category
- BE SAFE / RENOVATE SAFE — get informed when using vintage products.
- Note, we’ve featured one reader, Melita, who used steel cabinets made today — from Moya Living