28 places to shop for an affordable midcentury modern style sofa

IMPORTANT UPDATE: This story was the SECOND one I did rounding up mid mod sofas. Read our even more expansive THIRD update (done in April 2013) — 216 affordable mid century style sofas from 30 manufacturersHowever, I am leaving this story up — because it contains reader comments that may be of use if you are in shopping and researching mode.

28 vintage reproduction sofas

Following my original story about places to buy an affordable midcentury modern style sofa, I have incorporated reader suggestions. For this research exercise:

• “Affordable” was designed as less than $2,000.
  • Some of these are more “modern” than “mid century modern”. I gave some latitude.
  • The list is re-ordered to roughly correspond to the order I would likely do my own additional research, if I were in the market.
  • Note that many of manufacturers listed make more than one design, you must dive into their websites to see them all. With this list, at least, you have a starting place.

younger sofaYounger Furniture: This Lily sofa (above in gray) from Younger Furniture is the first sofa that I would look at if I were in the market today. As Gavin pointed when I originally posted about Younger, this is very similar to original Dunbar designs. There are additional modern designs from Younger Furniture, which also are well executed — like the sofas and chairs that Dave and Kristin used in their house.  Mid century modern sofas from Younger Furniture

mid mod sofa

UPDATE: Click photo to see NEW Avenue 62 line of mid mod sofas — FANTASTIC!

UPDATE: Be sure to see the new Avenue 62 line up of Younger Furniture — MORE MID MOD SOFAS!

Macy’s: Macy’s gets up high because of all the Macy’s Corona sofa (above) love we have shared over the years. The sofa is stylish and inexpensive — although, there have been varied opinions as to quality. The Morgan, Blake (shown) and Corona are what popped out at me in the current lineup — as I type this, they all seem to be on sale for $699. A reader also suggests that if you get a Macy’s card same day, you get another 15% discount — also watch for tax-free sales events. Mid century modern style sofas and loveseats from Macys.

castellano modern sofa

Castellano Custom Furniture: When I was at Rejuvenation Lighting two years ago, I saw this line of furniture for sale in their large showroom. It’s Castellano Custom Furniture — made right in Portland, and it sure appeared to be the real deal. I’m not sure it really hits under $2,000, but I’m putting it in anyway, it’s probably in the range. Modern sofa from Castellano Custom Furniture.

Perch Furniture: Above, Gracie sofa by Perch Furniture. Based in Portland (there is a bird in their logo tee hee), workshop in LA. These guys get double extra bonus points for rockin’ the orange. (God help me, all the greiged-out neutrals on these furniture websites had me on a rip-roaring rant revival.)  Gracie sofa by Perch Furniture.

bantam sofa by design within reach

Design Within Reach: Reader Amy reminded me:

Design Within Reach also has a mid-century sofa in both 73″ and 86″. It’s called the Bantam and is very similar to Macy’s Corona. They are currently having a sale on their site as well!

Yup – as I write this update, both the 73″ and 86″ Bantams are on sale for less than $2,000 each. These are nice looking sofas, for sure — and come in a nice selection of upholstery designs. Thank you, Amy. Bantam Sofa by Design Within Reach.

Mitchell Gold: I love the look of this Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Cara sofa. Not sure if it’s really less than $2,000, but I’m guessing it’s close. There are some other possibilities in this line, as this is a company that tracks trends. Cara sofa by Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.

Rowe Furniture: Readers reminded me of Rowe Furniture, and indeed, the Abbott (above) is just one of least five sofas that could look beautiful in our midcentury interiors. Even more, really — a lot of their line has what I’d call “modern-to-traditional” styling, meaning they are very versatile. Be sure to look at Rowe – easy to use website. Mid century style couches by Rowe.

dean mid century style sofa by room and board

Room & Board: I was initially surprised that Room & Board did not have a wider array of mid-century modern style sofas. The only one I really thought fit my *I’ll know it when I see it* criteria, and which was less that $2,000, was the Dean. But, readers clued me to also check out the Andre, Eugene and Reese. Maybe I missed them the first time or maybe their price went down below my threshold for this story. Anyway, check ‘em out, lots of choices:. Mid century and modern sofas by Room and Board.

lee industries apartment sofa
Lee Industries: The sofas at Lee Industries tend much more toward traditional and even wonderful mid-century modest. Boy oh boy, the Lee page  is fun to look at — so many shapes and sizes — it’s a sofa primer: Sofas by Lee Industries.

modern tufted sofa from lazar industries

Lazar Industries: There are quite a few choices from Lazar Industries — made in the U.S.A. Mid century and modern style sofas from Lazar Industries.

Sofa CraftUpdate: Reader Gavin served up Sofa Craft, now known as Monarch Sofas, a third-generation family-owned company with showrooms in California and Texas. Some nice looking sofas at great prices, here, and Gavind says, “Made in USA, good prices, foam or down, choice of springs and best yet: A Warranty!” Above: The Amanda. Mid century style sofas from Sofa Craft/Monarch Sofas.

sterling sofa by michael weiss for vanguardVanguard: There are some *possibilities* in this collection by Michael Weiss for Vanguard.

One thing to consider and check for, on all the sofas that I show, is their size and scale. Back in the day, sofas were not 40″ deep — oversized — the way they often are today. Some of these sofas are more less-deep and less-high than others — more “authentically” proportioned for smaller mid century rooms with lower ceilings. Mid century = long, low, horizontal lines.  On the other hand, deep sofas can be very comfortable if you are tall or large and also if you like to hunker down to watch TV. So — thinking about the proportion of the sofa to your space, vetted with how you will realistically use it, is the task. Note, I also could not get a retail price on this Weiss sofa, above, without giving my coordinates to an online quoting place, which I refuse to do. (This exercise also made me an expert on website design and marketing for furniture makers, I swear. If any manufacturers want to hire me for a 25-point checkup, send me an email.) I’m going to guess that this, and others in this Vanguard line come in under $2,000 if you don’t go too crazy with the upholstery.  Michael Weiss mid century style sofas for Vanguard.

jane sofa from gus modern

Gus Modern: Gus Modern has a lot of styles — they seem to be going after this market pretty aggressively. Mid century modern sofas from Gus Modern.

modern sofa from west elm

West Elm: You got your numerous choices from West Elm.

Ethan Allen: Don’t forget to check Ethan Allen.

petrie sofa by crate and barrel

Crate & Barrel: Crate & Barrel gets in, with their Petrie Sofa. How do they get away with using that name without licensing it from The Dick Van Dyke Show? Petrie sofa from Crate and Barrel. UPDATE: See reader comment on the original story reflecting experience with quality/durability issues.

avec sofa from cb2

CB2: The lines of CB2’s Avec are too forced for me, but it seems to have its fans. Avec sofa from CB2.

mid century style sofa under $2000

Plummers: Update: If you live in Southern California, Tikimama spotted this Paramount sofa, Made the U.S.A., at Plummers. I am guessing this sofa may be made by someone already shown on this list… I will check later. No online sales. Paramount sofa for sale at Plummers stores.

arlington-sofa-from-pottery-barn

Pottery Barn: Arlington sofa from Pottery Barn.

kivik sofa by ikea

Ikea: Update: A reader asked about Ikea. I don’t live by any Ikeas, so I never get to see their products. To be sure, their products are generally inexpensive. The Kivik sofa, above, is $599 – about the same as the Macy’s Corona on sale. In regard to buying a sofa, I’d generally counsel to buy the best you can possibly afford — aim to own it a lifetime, even. Kivik sofa by Ikea.

Urban Outfitters: Update: If you’re considering the cheap and cheerful route, another reader suggested taking a look at Urban Outfitters. Mid Mod style sofas from Urban Outfitters.

Eq3: So now I started really poking down rabbit holes. Update: This Byrd sofa, originally spotted on another website, is actually designed by EQ3, based in Winnipeg. They have a number of other sofas with contemporary / modern / Euro lines. Byrd sofa from EQ3.

True Modern: Here’s the True Modern Luna  sofa, with its Danish Modern legs. Check out this company’s Sample Sale area, too. Luna Sofa from True Modern Furniture.

Blue Dot: Blu Dot has a few options, and sounds like an interesting company. Paramount sofa by Blu Dot.

Dania: Bloom sofa from Dania. $699 – made in China. Don’t yell about only this one, though, I think most of the Gus Moderns are from China, too. I did not check country of  origin as I did this research. Dania’s other sofas also are modern designs, at relatively low prices. Bloom sofa from Dania.

oslo sofa from white on white

White on White: Update: After my original story, reader Kurt suggested the “Florence Knoll” knockoff from White on White, shown above. At 57″ wide, I’d not quite call this a sofa, but it makes the list because it’s nice to see new, smaller companies. Mid century modern style sofas from White on White.

Heywood Wakefield: Hey, do not be forgetting, you can STILL get Heywood-Wakefield sofas — NEW. Yes, they are still being manufactured, by a company that bought the rights. That’s the Margaret, above. I’m not counting this in my “mid century modern” count, though.  Heywood-Wakefield sofas still made today.Thanks, readers, for your continuing help in making this the #1 most conclusive list of midcentury modern style sofas in the U.S. interior design blog world. If you find more manufacturers — let me know via the Comments. Also, please also feel free to share you experiences with any of these products.

Looking for an MCM sectional?:

midcentury-modern-sectionals-e1334607944705

Looking for a sectionalClick here to see my other story, 29 midcentury style sofa sectionals available today.

Comments

Nice article with some good resources. I always wanted to get the Macy’s Corona sofa for the longest time because that seemed the most reasonably priced and looked the most like what I liked, but I did read mixed reviews on it. I finally found an excellent sectional sofa on Craigslist for less than that and it was a lot bigger and such a value. I got it for only $375. I do need to reupholster it one of these days and I know that will be what ends up costing the most. Any tips for re-upholstering for a good price would be greatly appreciated!

• gsciencechick says

The best thing is try to get a referral from people you know. You may find someone who works out of their home who is reasonable. However, another place is an antiques or consignment store. They may do it in-house, or be able to refer you to someone. Even if it costs you over $500 for re-doing the sofa, you are probably still ahead on style and quality. The person at the antiques store said look for potential and good quality, then they can do the rest with upholstery and new cushions. They are probably going to do my side chair.

2. gsciencechick says

Thanks, Pam, for updating the list! I’m in the process of sofa shopping as I would like a new one in place before the holidays. Orders can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks easily, so time to get moving (or sitting)!

Here are a few more readers may be interested in:

Palliser sofas (made in Canada), more on the budget end similar to Macy’s. Cushions are attached, not flippable. Some cool retro-inspired models are the Leah, Octave, Venus, Wynona, and Barbara. Available in leather and fabric.

Although Lexington is more of a traditional furniture line, the Bennett sofa is fully customizable to look more modern/retro with narrow arms, single seat cushion, straight exposed legs, etc. Tons of fabric choices, includes pillows. Mid-high range on price, but quality and durability of Lexington is high. We have a Lexington BR set that is built like a tank. Made in NC.

FYI, Younger is also made in NC.

Thanks, gsciencechick — we’re now up to 30, thanks to you! Regarding the Pallisers, I did look at their site, but could only see leather – ? Also, there were no prices (that I could find) so I thought that with the leather they’d be over $2K. Do you know about this?

• gsciencechick says

Yes, they have fabric as well. The fabric sofas I’m most interested in (Leah, Octave) were quoted at $800 in the Group 1 Mila, so very reasonable. I know someone on another board who just got the Venus sectional in the “fabric” called Phoenix, which feels like a leather but is more durable like a vinyl. She said the sectional was less than $2K, but she ordered online vs. store. The Phoenix fabric would be the same price as the Mila the store told me. I did not price leather because we have cats, and we do not trust them to stay away. I know some cats hate leather, but MIL’s cats claw her leather sectional. The leather obviously depends on the grade, too, but I’m sure it’s possible to come in well under $2K, especially on the sofas vs. sectionals. The only thing that bothers me is the inability to flip the cushions would make me question durability, The Venus is a one-piece, so flipping is N/A. There is a 5-yr warranty on cushions. The sofas were comfortable, and I would not make a major purchase for the piece of furniture where spend the most time without trying them out.

3. BlueJay says

We own a Macy’s Corona; it’s approaching 3 years old and is holding up as one would expect a $700 sofa to hold up. We aren’t too hard on it, but it is showing its wear. I doubt it will hold up for anyone with a troupe of children and/or pets. We’ll probably end up replacing it in the next several years.

We have the Macy’s Corona being delivered today. We did an extreme hunt and almost pulled the trigger on buying the Crate and Barrel sofa until Crate and Barrel told me that they don’t warranty their furniture at all meaning you have 7 days to decide if you want it and after that you’re on your own. They also said if I did have a problem with the sofa I would need to call the manufacturer of it, not CB. For almost $2,000 I kind of wanted even a limited 1 year or 6 month warranty or warranty option.

So the Corona will be our main sofa until I find the perfect thing vintage or new.

5. Lynne says

I too have the Corona sofa and chairs from Macy’s. They have just hit their one year mark, and they look like they are at least 5 years old. We are a family of smallish adults, and this furniture is in a secondary room. Knowing that there have been issues, I have always taken precautions with the cushions. I flip, switch, and fluff, these babies, and its not doing a bit of good. The FABRIC is fine, and spot cleans very well. I think the problem is just with the cushion itself. I am thinking that in a short time, I will have to take the cushions to an upholsterer and have new firmer, better quality foam put in the old covers. That being said, I just wouldn’t recommend buying these pieces.

As a side note, I also bought the now discontinued “Sylvia” from Macy’s, made by the same company as the Corona. Same situation-even worse. If I thought I could get any response or restitution from Macy’s, I’d take it up with them. Not even a year old, and I am thinking seriously of replacing them with Room and Board’s Reese sectional or one from Rowe.

I don’t want to sound too negative, but please do think twice about buying the Corona. Try to put a few more dollars into the budget and get a better quality piece.

Lynne, is there a zipper on the seat cushions? If so, it is relatively easy to get replacement foam. We just did it for our vintage sofa.

• Lynne says

Yes, Pam there is a zipper on the Corona, as well as the Sylvia. I can send pictures of both sets and everyone can see and judge for themselves as to how they have lost their crisp edge. They aren’t shabby looking, but I did expect more resilience after only one year of careful use.

6. Bird says

The Dean sofa at Room & Board is so close to my perfect sofa… if only it had taller feet so that you could easily clean under it. I love tight-back sofas with wide track arms.

7. Just another Pam says

I do love the Byrd sofa, it was going to be mine until I found a vintage one, mint condition, made by French & Son at an auction in a farmers field. At 1/3 of the cost of the sofa alone it was fiscally the way to go as that price included the chairs as well.

8. Jason says

Hi All,

I have the Corona Sofa, Chair and Ottoman. I do love the look, but I have to say they aren’t as comfortable as other sofas in hindsight especially when you want to have a comfortable living room, my room isn’t formal, but I think I went for wow factor as opposed to watch tv and cover up in a blanket. My grandmother was right when she said I needed easy chairs, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. They aren’t uncomfortable either, but I do think that the cushions with a firmer foam would help. And you can’t really relax in the chair like a lazyboy, but I figured at the time if I wanted to lay down I should go to bed. Also, they do not have a spring front frame, just a wooden front frame, which I didn’t know spring front existed until this year. I’ve had them 2 years almost and they look fine maybe not as on point as originally, but I don’t use them and abuse them I’m living alone so they are light use. I would buy new cushions before I got rid of them though and they do clean well and people do love them. I have thought cushions would help with my comfort factor and I may do it sooner rather than later even though these aren’t really worn out, just seem thin and you sink. I would recommend them for the price and look, but they might not last forever and they are not the most comfortable you can find. Again, a choice of overstuffed leather things that control your tv from the command center under the arm rest or somethign more tailored. I have taken many a nap in there, so it can’t be that bad.

Also, to add to the more designer(I think my room looks amateur at best, I try though) as opposed to lazyboy look in my living room I have two side chairs which I had picked out fabric for, etc. and they are Lazar as Pam has also listed. I felt they looked like a chair Billy Haines had done years ago and had to have them. I have to say I find them to be the most wonderful company, I dealt with them through a high end furniture store, but I had a whole chair redone because it had a snag(hardly noticeable) in it and who knows how it got there, maybe in shipping even though they were wrapped up like they were being sent to the moon – everything is quality with them. When I wasn’t happy with the work the service man did(recovered it after he couldn’t get it out, they sent a new cover for his second visit) they shipped the whole thing back to the factory and back to me all I did was drop it off and pick it up from the store. I would buy again from them in a heartbeat. These chairs even though pretty are high quality and comfortable, you would expect them to not be, but they are. They are side chairs so not something you would watch tv in, more for guests/cocktails, etc., but they are magnificent. I’m sure a couch from them would be comfortable.

Nothing much out out there “new” at that price point. Go for vintage — look for perfect shape, perfect upholstery…

• Hello Jodi says

Watch craigslist LIKE A HAWK. I just got rid of my fiance’s MCM furniture for modern stuff as he will soon be moving in with a cat with claws. I got a West Elm loveseat (same size as a vintage sofa, mostly) for $150, almost brand spanking new. There are loads of good deals out there for both vintage & new. Just don’t rush & you’ll find it. :)

9. Lauryn says

Disappointed to hear so many negative reviews on the Corona sofa. We visited my brother-in-law in July and he had a relatively new one that looked absolutely fabulous in his house and was quite comfy as well. I hope it holds up for him, but I’m definitely a little more hesitant to purchase one after hearing the comments on it.

• Jason says

Lauryn,

Glad to know he is happy with his, I am too generally. But, just saying to be realistic in your expectations when buying.

It helps if you have a Macy’s home store like we do here in Delaware to see it in person, but again it’s not living with it until you live with it.

Our newly purchased Miller sectional with chaise from Younger should be arriving any day now. I CAN’T STAND WAITING. Slowly I’ve been collecting piece by piece to re-do the living room, It’s no “Dave and Kristin” but our living room should be looking pretty amazing soon. I’ll send in photos as soon as we get everything situated.

• Kristin says

Hi Evan,
      I see you have purchased a sofa from younger. I am considering the Liam. I can not find any reviews on the sofa. Have you been satisfied with the quality of the sofa? Anything helps!
      Thanks!

11. Michelle says

Surprised to hear the bad vibes about Corona; when I bought mine about 18 months ago I read nothing but good. I am happy with it, it’s extraordinarily comfortable, and I’ve recommended it to friends who love it too. The cushions have gotten a *little* flat but meh. It gets daily use by two adults and two cats (who have unfortunately recently decided it’s a nice thing to scratch).

12. Debbie says

Hi Pam! These are some amazing choices here! I purchased my sofa (similar to the macys option, I think) from Home Decorators Collection. The non sleeper is $999, and they occasionally run 20 percent off sales in the Fall, which is when I purchased mine. I love it! And, they’ve added lots of upholstery options since I bought mine last year, grrrrrrrrr..

13. midmod ms says

Way back when I was a poor student I had a sofa very like the Lily sofa above. It had been abandoned in the basement of the apartment house I lived in, so the landlord gave me permission to take it (free!). I had to spray it with an entire can of Lysol to get the musty basement smell out, but it cleaned up nicely and lasted me for years.

When I was in college and had a sofa my senior year, I also got someone’s reject… when I left at the end of the year, it went to a friend for her senior year. Lordy those sofas must have stories!

14. Matt says

We too purchased a Macy’s sofa, The Lenny. (Its since been discontinued) It was essentially Macy’s version of Crate and Barrel’s Petrie. After 3 months the sofa looked a year old. Fabric started pilling after a couple of weeks normal usage. After 6 months we sold in on craigslist and replaced it with a vintage sofa. Such a disappointment.

15. Katie says

IKEA has a lot of good mid-century looking options. To my eye, the Karlstad series looks even better than the KVIK. IKEA sofas are very comfortable, and very good value for the money, and very well made. The important thing to remember about IKEA sofas is that the frame and cushions will generally be better made than the upolstery. This is for the simple reason that the covers are removeable and are meant to be replaced after a few years. Personally, I think this is a bonus, as its cheaper to replace a cover than it is to buy a new sofa if I’m bored with the color. Plus, IKEA has lots of fun color options.

16. Gavin Hastings says

Other than the chunk-y grey one (top photo group-fifth one down) shoving itself into the 1970’s…I think they all can qualify as MCM. Nice work.

17. Stacy says

Pam-thought you might enjoy browsing Phillips Furniture in St. Louis. I’m posting the link to their “History” page. They have a few good mid century looking sofas, one of which I purchased for our new home, a 50’s ranch. I’m having so much fun in it and reading your blog for lots of great tips. And yes, all the best stuff’s in St. Louis, I’m discovering.

18. Katherine says

I purchased the Cara Sofa from Mitchell Gold a few months ago and love it! It is, indeed, under $2000 — still a bit of an investment, but I have no regrets and will love it for years to come.

IKEA definitely has mid-century/modern furniture. Our local Dania, not as much as they used to. We were actually surprised by the ‘lack of’ when we visited the store recently looking for chairs.

20. debbie s says

do any of ‘em, or Lazy Boy have recliners that go with? :)

i also saw some in a macy’s, made by Max Home. pretty sure they were well under $2,000.

21. Sandy luvs GeorgeNelson says

For quite a while, I’ve wanted to replace my hand-made willow love seat, & get something sofa-sized and MCM in style. So recently, I was glancing at kijiji (like craigslist, but way more user-friendly and with much better options), and lo and behold, one of my two favourite MCM-styled sofas from eq3, the Replay, was for sale there at a fraction of the price. http://eq3.com/cat-eq3/process/locale/en_CA/currency/page/page/30001-01.html
    (My other favourite one from eq3 is the Byrd, which is one of the ones Pam has listed).

I got it for $300; new it is $1,199, I think. It is super long — a whopping 8′ 3″ (99″). I would have preferred the apartment-sized sofa, but hey, I’m not complaining. The deep red colour will look great with my soon-to-be recovered slipper chair and pick some other tones I have going on. (When I am closer to finishing a few projects, I’ll post some pictures).

http://www.buildasofa.com has a whole selection of “modern” sofas and many of which are mid-century inspired. According to Yelp, the sofas range between $900-$1500. I haven’t checked these out myself, so I’m not %100 on the price. Their limitation though is that they currently only have stores in San Francisco, Orange County, Dallas, Houston, and Austin.

23. markEmark says

Pam, I found the greatest sofa at Haverty’s, Florida. It is the Contempo, available in Terra Cotta, Gray and Pearl, retail is $1199.00. I believe they are made in China (what isn’t?) but it was to cool to pass up!

24. John and Chloe says

Pam,

We just had to post and say THANK YOU!! for this list. We were so excited we ran out and ordered a Younger sofa from Rubins in Milwaukee. The lily pattern to be exact. It looks Amazing in our living room. Thank you again for letting us know there are choices out there for replacements that really do work with originals. It makes the room, and compliments vintage Kroehler chairs.

Thank you again!

• Fran says

I saw the Metropolis line last week and absolutely love it. There are some positive and negative reviews on the Havertys website. How is yours holding up? Has the leather left seat imprints after a year? Thanks in advance for a follow-up!

25. Tisha says

Hi Pam, I know I’m late to the game, but Schoolhouse Electric just started offering furniture and it’s all MADE in the USA! Here’s an example:
    link broken
    It’s a bit over your $2k mark, but I bet it’ll fit under the wire if it goes on sale.

26. peg says

Sad news. Went to order the Corona sofa from Macy’s last night and they are on close out. They will not be carrying them anymore and the only ones left are floor models which they will not ship. Alas, none are even remotely near me. Even the woman on the Macy’s order line was surprised. She said they sell quite a lot of them and people seem to like them. Well, back to the hunt.

27. Libby says

We found a vintage flexsteel sofa on CL that we are in love with and are willing to recover/rebuild. I am trying to figure out when, at least approximately, it was built. Do you know of a photo catalog that would help me date my find?

28. Kristina says

Has anyone been able to locate mid-century modern chairs? I bought the Metro Lane sofa and matching chair from Haverty’s and I am now on the look out for two comfortable chairs to add to the collection

29. Vicki Vanderkolk says

They’re not everywhere in the country, but Arhaus furniture is high quality and has some pieces that are within your defined ‘affordable’ range. Their Dante sofa has mid-century lines and is truly beautiful. Not sure of the price on their Garner sofa, but it’s also very cool.

All their upholstered pieces have a lifetime warranty for frame and suspension systems and cushions are warrantied for 3 years. Best of all, they’re all made in the USA; not just assembled, but MADE here.

30. Jamie D says

I know this article isn’t very new, but I wanted to throw out a little more info on Rowe. Thanks to this article I looked into their retailers and found one locally and checked it out today.

They didn’t have anything MCM in stock but the salesperson was super helpful and pulled out the Rowe book and immediately pointed me to the style Dorset. It’s pretty much exactly what I’ve been looking for – a low-rider with a button tufted tight back, sleek rectangular clean arms, and tapered legs.

To special order it in a durable poly boucle/tweed-y fabric, it’ll still be under $1100 for an 89″ sofa! And under $1000 for an 81″ or 75″.

We can upgrade to a higher quality cushion for just a bit more, but that cushion is guaranteed for life and will be replaced if it ever loses shape or gets worn out.

And it’s made in Virginia.

• Jamie D says

We changed our minds with the layout of the room. We just couldn’t get it to work putting the TV where we originally wanted it so now we’re going with a Rowe Dorset sectional – the 79″ 3 seat section with a right side chaise on one end brings the entire piece to a massive 104″ wide, perfect for under our large window. My husband and I weren’t thrilled with the original taupe-y brown we were going to settle on and decided on a way more fun avocado green nubby poly/acrylic thick weave instead. YAY! Color! And we wanted a sectional in the first place anyway so it all worked out.

We’re getting chrome legs instead of the standard wood ones, no extra charge for that. I’m not in love with either leg option and would prefer a slimmer Danish tapered style instead (like what’s on their Duncan sofa or the Younger Poplar) but for this price I can suck it up and live with it. The combo we chose comes with 3 throw pillows.

All of that customization plus a fabric protection plan warranty and delivery will come in at $2148. It turns out that their standard cushion is guaranteed for life, too, so we don’t even need to upgrade to get the warranty, which is good because I didn’t want a pouffy thick cushion.

Definitely the most affordable option we looked at besides Ikea.

Yes, Marzy — Monarch is in the original list, as Sofa Craft. They seem to have changed their name over the past year. Thanks!

31. Kat says

Just wanted to note that Macy’s is having a furniture sale (unfortunately, it ends t’row 4/30). The Clare sofa (which is basically the Corona, just the new line) is on sale for $699. If you call and buy, you get an additional 10% ‘Friends and Family” discount (I did!). Even with the $85 delivery cost and tax you still get it for way less than the original piece price. :)
    I should add that the Clare is on backorder and won’t be delivered until July 1st.

32. Andie says

We purchased the Amanda Sofa from Monarch and love the way the pieces turned out! We changed the legs, but got the same fabric pictured. We were looking for a sectional, which they would have made for us, but instead decided on a sofa and love seat. They arrived looking lovely and we got pillows too! We highly recommend this company and will purchase from them again for sure! Great value and the choices are endless! Thanks for the tip…we let them know that we found them via Retro Renovation!

33. Peter says

My wife and I purchased a Thrive Nixon sofa in expectation grey for our midcentury ranch in Oyster Bay, NY. The sofa is well made and delivery from Los Angeles was free. It looks great with the original danish chairs and tables. We also looked at Younger sofas, but the Nixon is such a great satement piece and I’m not crazy about the espresso finish on the Younger legs. I’m saving up for a Taylor chair in orange.

34. Kristin says

I am interested in the Liam sofa from younger furniture. I can not find a single review on it. Anyone own or know someone who owns a sofa from younger? Thanks so much!

35. stephanie costello says

Do you know any stores in Portland OR that carry the Younger sofa
    shown on this website? Please advise. Thanks.

36. Richard says

This is a great list, however a great resource not on the list is Allmodern.com! This site is great and carries everything from furniture, lighting, plumbing and beyond…. while picking up your fabulous under $2k sofa, you can also find great things for the rest of your home… and their rewards program is what keeps bringing me back!

I have a Paramount sofa from Blu Dot. I got it at a floor sample sale, so it was a lot cheaper than the list price. I’ve had it about a year so I can’t comment on how it will hold up long-term, but so far it’s super comfortable and looks great. It was also the smallest sofa I could find on the market, which was perfect if you’re looking for a sofa for a studio apartment. The arm is narrow so even though it’s a tiny sofa, it can still fit three people.