Basement bowling alley in 1962 Michigan time capsule house for sale — heaven!

bowling alley in 1962 michigan houseMega thanks to reader Ron for spotting this gem — a 1962 home in Rockford, Michigan (near Grand Rapids) that includes a spectacular two-lane bowling alley in the basement. This is beyond amazing! The house is currently for sale, it’s listed at $189,000 by Theresa Robinson of 616 Realty (listing now ended.)  I talked to Theresa via phone to get permission to show this photo, and she explained that the house has been in the same family since they built it — with great care — in 1962.  The original family member loved to entertain … and yes, loved to bowl! He got the bowling alley components from a bowling alley in Lansing, Mich. that was going out of business. Then, he built the house around the bowling alley. Theresa said that the local newspaper wrote a feature story about the house when it was finished.

The house is a wonderful time capsule a number of other ways — it does not appear to have been re-muddled. Original bathrooms, kitchens upstairs and down, great space, great finishes. But the bowling alley: Blow me away!

1962 house with bowling alley

Click on the photo above to see a great slide show with BIG images!

Comments

1. STL Mom says

That house is wonderful! Not just the bowling alley, although that takes the cake. I also love the sun porch with the flagstones and the two-way fireplace between the living room and dining or breakfast room. And for $210,000? Wow!

2. Billie says

I was on vacation in MI 2 weels ago and had lunch in this town… Beautiful area and really cool house….If I was just 2000 miles closer I’d put a bid on it

3. clampers says

Oh my GOD!!! So cheap!

Plus there is a full wet bar and pool table downstairs!

And a hot tub and pool outside?!?!

What a steal! Someone snatch this up quick. This is pretty much the perfect house.

Un-freakin’-believable! Forget the west coast: I was meant to live in Michigan! Thanks, Ron, Pam and Theresa Robinson, for this total Monday perfection. I just hope this fabulous home finds the perfect retro-renovation-minded owner.

5. nina462 says

Yes, please come to MI. We need more people here who love this type of mcm homes (as there are a lot of them!).
    This is a dream home – perfect if it had the right paint & furniture – it’d be a mcm showcase.

**And yes, prices for homes in MI are this reasonable!

That’s a great house. I have fond memories of living near Grand Rapids as a child. When I see what you get for your money in other places it makes me wonder why I’m paying 3 times as much for a house and property taxes and getting 1/4 as much for it.

7. Kristy says

My mom still lives near here, I may have to ask her to go by and take a look at it. I, too, am in love with all the cool fireplaces in this house!

I’d love to move back there but the jobs situation is just hard =(

This house is simply amazing! My boyfriend & I go bowling often & always joke that someday when we are “rich” we are going to have a house with its own bowling ally!!! Im going to call him at work to let him know we will be moving to MIchigan! LOL

9. Lynn-O-Matic says

Golly, I’d never considered moving to Michigan before, but . . .

I would definitely take up bowling if I had this house. Love the screen porch. Do they still make that corrugated fiberglass?

I can’t believe how cheap this is. You can barely buy a trailer for that here in little ol’ Missoula, MT!

• Kersten says

Lynn-O-Matic, we have that same corregated fiberglass on the front of our house, creating a type of overhang. A couple months ago, a big bad windstorm robbed several of the panels and we are having the hardest time finding the original look (with the fibers visible.) “New” corregated panels are grossly plastic, and nothing like our original. I don’t know what we’re going to do. Additionally, the “wavey” wood strips (called a closure strip) that go under the fiberglass sheet is also impossible to find. The new panels “wave” shape are a fraction of an inch larger than the old ones, so the closure strips are also sized differently. We need to find an old stock of the original – the new just won’t look right.
      This entire house is incredible! I love that basement kitchen – and I NEEEEEED that cooktop and vent hood that are down there.

10. Lauryn says

Oh my, be still my beating heart. Hubby and I have a SERIOUS bowling addiction and were just fantasizing the other day about how great it would be to have a bowling alley in the basement. To have one that is so fabulously cool looking too? With a bar? And a pool out back??? (And yes, folks, real estate in the midwest is still affordable. Because you’re on this website, you’re obviously very cool, so I will let you in on the fact that the midwest is this country’s best kept secret. But don’t tell anyone else. We like the quiet here.)

11. MCM is Grand says

I think that is Spartany-Roman tile in the bathroom! So refreshing to see that these original bathrooms were left unspoiled by granite…

12. TappanTrailerTami says

So, here we have it – an awesome reason to move to Michigan! Love! Swoon! This house entirely rocks! If someone ends up owning this house, does that mean they get to have a “pool boy” to maintain the pool AND a “ball return boy” to maintain the bowling lanes? Whoo Hoo!

13. Frank says

Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor. Michigan is such a beautiful state with so much 20th Century history. It kills me that the state has been hit so hard during the last 30 years. I wish there was some way for all of the manufacturing infrastructure in the state to be put to work to make quality products here in America again. My mother owned an American-made Kenmore washing machine for 30 years. It worked beautifully and only needed a belt replacement now and again. We have burned through three Kenmore washers (made in China) and two refrigerators during the last 5 years (thank goodness for extended warranties).

14. Judy Pleasant says

I’m depressed!! It’s the PERFECT house, perfect price……but I don’t live anywhere near the location :-( Some buyer is going to be very lucky!!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Holy crap! I was looking at the pictures of the main level and thinking, “eh, this is okay”. Then I saw that lower level! Oh man, how awesome is that? A bowling alley AND a rec room! A full bar with a cooktop and a sink and everything! Wish I could find a huge place like that in my own area for such a reasonable price. There are things to like about the main level too, though. The thing is freaking cavernous– you could have several roommates and never even see each other! LOL. Also, look at that gigantic dining room! My “dining room” would barely be able to contain the table they have there. I also find the little microwave nook kind of amusing, haha.

16. Chris says

Stunned and speechless!! I would so live in that house!! I sat here envisioning all the fun gatherings that could and must have taken place in this beautiful awesome home!! What a find!!! Someone will snatch this right up for sure! With some good retro decorating it will be a showplace for sure!! Wow and double wow!!

17. Kristy Nawrocki says

My dad grew up in this house with the man who built it. He has so many great memories here. When i found this I had to show my father and it brought a smile to his face. I wish we could buy this home and keep it in the family.

18. Diana says

well, I can’t get the link to the pictures to load. sigh… I had a school project back in 8th grade to design a house. I had a full wall TV, a restaurant style stainless steel kitchen and a basement with a bowling ally.

My teacher said the TV was impossible and gave be a bad grade. I was ahead of my time