Retro house bloggers install a Sputnik chandelier… bullet lights… Ikea curtain tracks and more

sputnik lightThis week’s spotlight on busy-bee-retro-bloggers and other relevant home design news starts with nickarmadillo of Mid-Century Midwest, who finally got his vintage sputnik light installed. Nick lives in St. Louis, a midcentury treasure trove, and bought this “for a song” last year at an estate sale. Nick, we all completely understand it when you write,

I <3 this chandelier!  I mean I REALLY LOVE it.  If marriage to inanimate objects was legal in the state of Missouri, I’d be writing my vows right now.

Continue on for news from Retro Roadmap… Midcentury Reno… No Pattern Required… Retro Ranch Revamp… Mr. Modtomic… and Uncle Atom.

Also in the news:

Thank you, all!

Comments

Thanks Pam! Just to let you know, our sealer did not go on until probably 2 months after the tiles were installed, so definitely enough time to let those tiles set up.

2. Lynne says

I am seriously considering the vct tiles for my kitchen. So, you glue them down, wait the appropriate amount of time, then apply a sealer. What then? What is the long term care and feeding of these floors?

I’ve done several stories on this, Lynne. See Kitchens/Floors. Yes, you need to strip and reseal occasionally… I also again underscore, see each manufacturer’s instructions…

• Jason says

In the house I grew up in in Maryland, it originally had the streaked-style tile flooring in the kitchen. I remember that Mom would be on her knees waxing ( I think she was waxing) the floor every so often. What was funny was to see the dog go sliding across the floor if he went too fast! MOm got mad at him for scratching the wax!

Wow! Never thought I’d be featured on a big-time blog like Retro Renovation. Thanks for the big ups Pam! People seem to be really interested in the dining set too. While it looks very similar to Broyhill Brasilia, it’s actually a Kent Coffey Perspecta (though I do have a Brasilia gentlemen’s chest hidden in there as well).

4. BlueJay says

Community Forklift is an awesome store! In addition to the metal cabinets and vintage appliances they also have a large selection of colored bathroom fixtures. Their prices on the plumbing stock are reasonable too!

5. Annie B. says

I’m so jealous I can barely type. My Holy Grail is a sputnik fixture. Yours is a beauty.

That’s one gorgeous dining room. What’s in your china cabinet?

Thanks Pam!

Hopefully your link to my IKEA Kvartal Cutain how-to will help even more frustrated installers find my helpful tutorial! 🙂 Darn those IKEA instructions! 😉

7. Karen says

Pam — Do you really sell the different faceplates for the Dishmaster? Or are they available only from the company? Getting ready to install one, but I may have misread one of your captions …

Great everything here! Thanks!

Just wanted to take a moment to say Hi Pam and say thanks again, this time for showcasing my Eric Buck Barstools Find posting (sorry so late!), and thank you to everybody who’s come by to check them out!