Poul Cadovius and Cado wall units: History and collecting guide

We learn about the two very collectible types:
‘Royal System’ and ‘System Cado’

vintage cado wall unitContinuing my research into midcentury modern shelving systems, Cado “floating” wall systems are now also in my sites. Like the String System that recently profiled, Cados are Scandinavian-designed — and they are hot collectibles. Unlike Strings, you cannot get them new today, so you must be on the lookout. You know how I say that at estate sales, you need to look to the windows for potentially lovely window treatments? Well now, I add to that list: Look to the walls for potentially valuable shelving systems. Above: Christa’s Cado Wall System. Continue for more views of her Cado… for historical info about this wall system… and for shopping tips.

cado shelves

Christa’s Cado wall system:

Christa writes:

Hi Pam –

I don’t have the String system, but the similar, all wood version of the Cado system…interesting that such similar ideas all were designed at around the same time .

cado wall unitI ended up getting mine from CraigsList, but it did take months and months to find it.

The reason…well my wonderful mid century split level has some floors that are, well, wobbly if you walk to hard…especially the dining room. My vintage blonde china cabinet was great, except that every time somebody walked by it, it would sway and things would clank and clunk inside (it made me afraid for my grandmother’s china!)

So a teak Cado system, that attached to the wall ( they have floor standing ones as well) Solved the problem. Too bad the wobbly floor itself is not so easy to fix!

This type of system is so flexible (actually have Elfa in my daughters room and our study) and can work just about anywhere you want to put it!

cado shelf unitsI took these a while ago, I have done some “tweaking” since I took these,  especially with the Viking glass, ( LOVE Viking Epic…I have gotten slightly addicted) I got some more pieces, I move things around…it is a constant thing.

I have another wall-mount and one other cabinet for the Cado, but as you can see, two bays were all I had space for or need , but I have them safely tucked away in case I change my mind and want to put this somewhere else.cado shelf unitThe “down side” to this (the Cado)…actually getting it on the wall…if your measurements are not PERFECT, the dowels on the back of the cabinets will not go in the holes.  I learned that my studs are not straight in the walls…as if I got the upright in a stud at the top, it would not go in a stud at the bottom.  It took about 4 hours, 3 people,( myself, DH, and a very patient and tall friend ) several bruises each and much cursing to get it up.  I would assume that when the system was new there was some sort of template, so you could easily get things lined up, but those are long gone I fear.

Thank you, Christa, for sharing these photos and advice. Your home is drop dead gorgeous!! Readers, check out Christa’s etsy shop, The Red Retro Shop, here.

About the Cado wall system

I went searching all over the internet trying to piece together a timeline history of the Cado system. The timeline is incomplete, I note* where I am missing info or am confused.

• According to the 20th Century forum, the official name of this design is the Royal System. Although then I read there was also a design called System Cado. Confused*. In any case, these were designed by the Dutch architect Poul Cadovius, and manufactured by Cado, Cadovius’ eponymous company.
  • I found a Wikipedia entry for Poul Cadovius. It appears to be in Danish, and the translate pop up is not popping. However, I think I can read that Cadovius died just last year, 2011. He lived to age 99! I also am going to guess that the Cado wall unit was spotlighted (introduced???) at the Milan Trienniele in 1957? Can anyone translate for me?
  • I scanned the Wiki on Danish Modern Design – and he does not seem to be mentioned. It is interesting — the Cado wall units seem to be very popular — very well known — but there is very little information I can find overall on Poul Cadovius, Cado manufacturing, and the history of these units.
  • At Made-Good – a site about Danish design — they describe the impetus of the Royal System:  “Poul Cadovius, was in the fifties looking for a furnishing system which would give a maximum of comfort, underline the personal atmosphere of the interior, was easy to assembly, offer a lot of combination possibilities and made the living space larger.” They add that, “In the late 60s [1964, another post indicates] he (Cadovius) (als0) bought the famous manufacturer France and Sons and produced many more furniture under the label of Cado.”  Cadovius/Cado went on to produce a variety of other furniture designs.
  • This Design Addict forum says the first Cado was a freestanding system — they have a photo — and that it was designed in 1955. Design Addict also has a classifieds section that indicates that the Cado system was available in a number of woodgrains — teak, walnut, mahogany, rosewood… — as well as white. You can also see the variety of components.
  • The Good Mod adds that, “These systems could be ordered from catalogs and furniture stores in the 1960?s – 70?s. There were many different types of cabinets, shelves, lights, standards or uprights and styles. Whether you needed a desk, a table, a stereo cabinet, china cabinets or a chest of drawers, you could customize the system to fit your needs.”

From Roche-Bobois

• Looks like Roche Bobois started distributing the Cado system in 1962. [I’m confused about when Cado manufacturing came into the picture.] Note, they say it marks the end of conformity in shelving sizes, “The break in conventional sizes has just begun.”
  • On this forum I read that there are two designs of the Cado system — one with metal fixings, one with wood. Here is an edited excerpt: [One design] has the metal fixings and supports which hang in the sides of the wall battens. Here is a clear example. [The other design] has wooden supports with angled wooden dowels in the back which fix into angled holes in the front of the wall battens. (Christa has this all-wood system; here is another clear example. The joinery involved means these systems are often considered more desireable. This also means it’s a nightmare to put up as there is zero tolerance. The [system with metal fixings] is much more forgiving and is easier to find. *Still confusion over which was called Royal System vs. System Cado. Confused*.
  • I cannot find any information on when sales of the Royal System ended.
  • Interesting article — more info about Poul Cadovius’ career here. A photo too. Scroll to “The Story Behind Circulhuset” about half way through the PDF. In short, she says Cadovius was a well-known and prolific designer, with 400 patents. She also says that Cadovius had gone bankrupt by 1981.
  • abstracta tableBut golly gee, looky here, the Cadovius’ Abstracta modular shelving, designed in the 1960s, still is for sale — looks like it’s manufactured in K-zoo! That’s Kalamazoo, Michigan, where Elvis still lives, btw. The Abstracta appears to be mostly targeted at the retail display market, but there are a few pieces designed for home: The cube table! Of course, we all recognize the cube table!

And… how’s this for some loveliness — a video that shows the original turntable and speakers:

Cado wall systems buying guide:

My tips:

• Cado systems seem to be well known among dealers and collectors. They are very recognizable to the infomed — which now includes you. However, that means, that if a dealer or collector gets one in-hand, he or she will price it accordingly — likely starting at $1,000 or more, depending on the pieces available and the condition.
  • If you are looking for a bargain, I’d say try estate sales and vintage stores, especially those in smaller cities or towns where they be fewer buyers tuned into the mid mod. Look to the walls! Keep your eyes peeled! I tend to think that Cados were pretty popular back in the day — they are out there to be discovered.
  • You can also watch craigslist. Search Cado, teak, danish modern, midcentury, shelves, wall unit… etc. Mix up your terms. For example, I spotted this unit for sale in the New York City area, and the seller gave me permission to feature the photo here:

Cado wall system with desk, $1250 (link now gone):  Beautiful and practical Danish modern teak wall system designed by Poul Cadovius. This system as shown in the photos is particularly rare as it comes with a separate drop-leaf desk. The condition overall is in good condition with a few scapes and bumps that comes with age.

• You can also find Cado wall units on ebay and etsy — but you will likely not be able to see what you are buying in person, of course.

So there you have it: Cado wall systems. Paol Cadovius, well done!

Readers — I welcome your additional info and insights about Cados.

Comments

1. Yigal Zohar says

Royal System was manufactured only in teak and walnut. After a good number of years, they almost look the same, unless you are familiar with their distinctive grains.
    System Cado was manufactured in teak, walnut, rosewood, mahogany, and oak.

• Vivian says

Thank you for the info, Yigal. Would this type of freestanding shelves unit be considered rare? Most of the others seem to be able to be wall-mounted as well.
      Do you know approximately when it would have been made?
      And, it appears two types of wood were used. Any idea which two these may be?
      Thank you for your time, and letting me dip into your well of knowledge :)

• Yigal Zohar says

Hi Vivian,

I started working for Royal/Cado in 1973. That free standing Royal system was no longer manufactured by then. You could only hang it on wall rails.
        Cado could be installed on special wall panels, on wall rails, and mounted on free standing poles or floor to ceiling tension poles.

Royal was manufactured in both teak and walnut, Cado in teak, walnut, oak, mahogany, and rosewood. All shelves and cabinets were made from particle board veneered, while all support parts, such as rails, poles and brackets were solid. Fronts of cabinets had a solid strip glued to the particle board prior to it being veneered.

Hope this helped,

Yigal Zohar

• Vivian says

Hi Yigal. Thanks very much for the info. Just one more thing, if you don’t mind? During what time was the Royal system made?
          You’ve been very kind :)
          Vivian

• AJ says

HELLO YIGAL, AS I WAS READING THROUGH THIS BLOG, THE NAME OF ELI HARDOFF’S PARENTS STORE IS A NAME ON THE ORIGINAL BROCHURE FROM MY PARENTS CADO SYSTEM! I DO REMEMBER SOMEONE WHO SPOKE HEBREW (SO DO I) THAT CAME TO DO THE INSTALLATION OF THE SYSTEM IN THEIR HOME IN MONSEY NY WHEN THEY FIRST PURCHASED CADO.
          WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO RECOMMEND ANY PLACES IN FL THAT MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN ESTATE SALES OF THIS KIND OF FURNITURE? IT’S REALLY IN GREAT SHAPE BUT I HAVE NO SPACE FOR IT IN OUR NYC APT.
          A

2. Rayna Zeidenberg says

We’ve own a System Cado for over 30 years. Today, a cabinet came off the wall and fell down on the floor! How can we find someone in the NY area to put it up for us? We live in central Westchester County.

• Yigal Zohar says

Hi Ranya,

When I lived in Tuckahoe, I could have done it for you. Now, from South Florida, it is a bit far.
      But, seriously, any good cabinet maker can do the repair for you. All they will need are the exact diameter wooded dowels as the ones that broke (available at any hardware store) and a drill of the same diameter.
      The old dowel in the back if the unit needs to be drilled out, and a new ones glued into the holes.
      It is very likely that the tips of the holes in the wall rails into which the cabinet was inserted were damaged, too. They will not support the cabinet in the same holes, no matter what , or how, you try to repair them. If you can, move the cabinet up, down, or sideways. If you need the cabinet in the same position, change (remove and replace) the rails with each other. The objective is to hang the cabinet using fresh holes.
      Also, and I think that it is most important, you will need to drill a new screw hole into the rail no more than an inch above the height of the new location of the cabinet, and secure the rail to the wall.
      If you, or anyone helping you, needs further advice, just ask me.

Hope this helped.

Yigal Zohar

• William Klein says

Yigal

I saw this site and recognized your name. My Dad “Rusty” worked for you in Woodside. Hope to hear from you.

3. Chris Ostarello says

Hello, I just bought a investment condo and they left a Cado unit in the guest bedroom and it is in really nice condition. Does anyone know anyone who is looking for one? I am located in Orlando, Florida?

4. Rayna Zeidenberg says

Hi Yigal-
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Oh, how I wish that you still lived in Tuckahoe! You’re right – the tips of the holes in the wall rails were damaged beyond repair. Also, we do need the cabinet to hang in the same place it had been, so it would be difficult to move it. It would be best if we could buy two new rails – but where?
    Do you remember a good cabinet maker in the area?
    Also, could you send me your email address so that I can write directly?
    Thank you very very much!
    Rayna Zeidenberg
    pzeidenberg@optimum.net

5. Rayna Zeidenberg says

The dowels for our System Cado seem to be somewhere between 1/4 ” and 3/8″ in diameter – probably a metric measure. Where can I find them – or can I just buy 3/8″ and drill larger holes?

6. Maria Urquidi says

Does anyone know if it is possible to hang a Cado cabinet that was meant for a pole with holes on the SIDE on a pole with holes in the FRONT? Both use the same hardware… (Photos of hanging a cabinet on a side-holed pole here: http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread_show_one/thread_id/12451/)

I accept that it will look bad (because the part of the cabinet that is normally covered by the pole will be exposed) but will it even hang securely? This was a Craigslist purchase which the man told me he had used in his college apartment…

Thanks for any input!

• says

Maria:

Cado Systems had “hanging holes” on the front of the verticals, while Royal System had side holes that ran all the way through the vertical standards.
      No mixing!
      To confuse you more, both Cado and RS were both made by a company called Royal Systems.

SVP

7. Crispin Murray says

I have six pairs of System Cado shelf brackets (dowels, not wires). These are in Palisander wood – nice dark rosewood, and they are 30 cm / 11 3/4 inch. All unused in original cardboard boxes. In the UK. Anyone want to make me an offer, before they go on eBay.

8. KM says

For Royal System, how far apart should the vertical rails be mounted? distance between rails? I found a reference to a spacer board (wish I had one). Are there any mounting instructions posted on the web?

9. Karen says

Wow, I just found this site. I have the Raymor Omnibus system. The shelves are 39.5 inches wide and the holes for the brackets are in the front of he standards. I’m installing a two bay unit which means three standards. I started from the center and worked outward but it’s not perfect. I’ve decided now to get a perfect level line on the wall 80 plus inches wide and install all three standards lining up the middle screw holes first? Of course nowhere an I going to hit a stud! Any ideas?

• Alfredo catani says

I am an X Raymor rep. From back in the 60’s and also had an Omnibus system in rosewood.No need to worry about hitting studs! Just be sure to use toggle bolts and you are good to go.
      Good Luck,
      Alfredo A Catani

10. Suanne Levin Ray says

I am trying to obtain replacement wires for my mother’s Royal system which she purchased in the 50’s. I read somewhere that the newer wires are not the same size as the originals. Does anyone know where to obtain them?

• says

Dennis:

Easily confusing are the names “Cado” and “Royal System” but you have (if the photo is exactly what you have), a “Royal System” built by a company that was called Royal System, but no longer is in business.

Regrettably you’ve been shorted a very important component. If you are very fortunate someone on this site may have extras….? Or a very good cabinet maker could fabricate new verticals for you but he/she’d have to be really GOOD as the holes that receive that wire brackets are exactly spaced front to back as well as vertically.

If you’re lucky enough to find that rare person, I can supply you with the metric dimensions.

Steve

• says

if it’s “a “Royal System” built by a company that was called Royal System” does that mean it’s not a collectable item? or not worth anything? I didn’t pay a ton but enough that i’m now nervous that i might have been ripped off.

• Kim says

Steve-
        You seem to know a lot about these systems.
        I just purchased one from an older gentleman. Unfortunately while I was out in the garage looking at a danish dining set he also had for sale, his workmen took down the system and I never did find out how some of the supports worked.
        Do you have any information about how to put these together? I am very afraid of getting it wrong and having it come down.
        I think I have one of the older systems. He purchased it in London in the 1950’s. The holes on both the vertical strips and in the shelves have a brass lining. The two larger cabinets have clips on the back. I think these might attach to brass rods. (I am making deductions based on numbers of parts I have and matching them to cabinets.)
        BTW, mine are not made of particle board. But are solid teak. They are not marked Cado and do not have the danish control sticker. Perhaps they aren’t cado at all? I have seen some that are particle board and do not have brass inserts in the holes.
        More photos here. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/431571576765066606/

Dennis:

When you read my bio in Flavors&More.com, it clearly states that I suffer from chronic laziness. Thus, getting up and wandering into the office to measure the R/S took several days.

After considerable effort, the R/S dimensions are as follows:

The standards (vertical rails) are 2 cm deep and 3.5 cm wide.
    The holes are 6 mm in diameter, run all the through the 3.5 dimension and are 4.5 cm on center. They are centered on the 2 mm side.

(That would mean the holes are parallel to the wall surface, you comprehend? I’d attach a photo but have no way to do that…)

As I said, accuracy is critical in all directions as the notches on the shelves/cabinets and the spacing of the wire brackets all depend on them…

Good luck.
    Now back to the Patriots game…

Steve

12. AJ says

I HAVE 20′ OF EXCELLENT CONDITION ORIGINAL CADO ROSEWOOD SYSTEM IN MY PARENTS HOME IN FL.
    THE SYSTEM INCLUDED A BAR WITH A DROP DOWN LEAF LIT INSIDE, SEVERAL CABINETS, & BOOKSHELVES LIT UNDERNEATH.
    ALL HUNG VIA PEGS DIRECTLY ONTO ROSEWOOD WALL PANELING. I’M INTERESTED IN SELLING THIS SYSTEM & WANT TO FIND INTERESTED BUYERS. UNFORTUNATELY DON’T HAVE ROOM FOR IT IN MY CITY APT.

13. Shane Byrd says

Hi, Pam!
    I was hunting for a Cado unit and ended up finding and buying a different system entirely. After hours of research online I still can’t find out what I have… The double slot chrome standards go in front of the shelves, gravity holds the unit against the wall, the brackets have long, offset (for left or right) tabs that fit into slots on the bottom of the shelves, and the most identifiable feature is that there are vertical oblong holes in the end of every bracket that can be used to secure them to a couple of mounting blocks on the wall for safety. Other than the tabs and the holes they look similar to standard Knape & Vogt brackets.
    If you, or a reader, could tell me who made my unit it would make my day (and may make it easier to track down the one missing bracket)!

14. Alfredo catani says

I have brand new in the original box,never installed or used,the TV shelf with brackets in teak. Should anyone have interest, I can be reached @ 772-285-0851

15. Nicholas says

Hi there, I have a RS but the screws to hold tge metal shelf supports are missing. Can anyone tell me the thread size I need to order? Also one of my cupboard locks is broken. Anyone know where I can get a replacement lock or leaf spring? Are there different keys or just one key/lock combination? Finally do we know the production dates for RS?

Many thanks for your help
    Nick

Hey Nick:

Yigal, a far more qualified expert than I and who has posted on this site in the past, may well be able to comment but “screws” to hold (tge sic?) metal shelf supports…?

A Big Mystery as to what system you’ve actually got there. A photo would be a big help…..

Until then, the rest of your questions are also a mystery.

Steve Philips

Nick:

Yes this thread does address the products that the Company called Royal System manufactured. And the link you referenced does show the product called “Royal System”. (There is also another wall system produced by the same company called Cado…same designer)

However, neither of these designs used screws. All connections worked by their design shapes and gravity. No mechanical connections. Now, the wire supports that show in the photo did come in brass as well as black but that was the only metal used. Other than the pins that the RS model shelves rested on…

In my retail era of the 60’s and 70’s there was no other product line produced by Rs so your question regarding screws is a mystery.

We did have customers who used the phrase Royal System generically to describe wall systems, but we never sold anything but the original so I can’t help….

Steve

• says

Nick:

Photos do help a bit.
        On the 090823 view, the notch on the shelf (that fits around the vertical?) is a RS detail. Also the 2nd black bracket/support (lying behind the first support) appears by the shape to be an RS support.

On RS supports that odd bend in the wire is inserted into a hole set into the shelf and then hinges into the holes in the verticals.The shelf is then borne on pins (not screws) in the verticals.

The big however is that there appears to be a hole thru the shelf. That is not a RS detail on either the Royal System models or the Cado. Assuming that the (missing) screws thread through the shelf and into the wire brackets

So it appears you have two different systems here —- unless RS manufactured a third version that I know not of….?

Steve

18. Richard says

Hi all,

I just inherited 3 walls of my aunt’s teak royal Cado. The system is built using the teak wall panels and is fully wired for lighting. I can’t wait to install some of it in my NYC apartment. I’m going to have a ton left over. If anyone is interested please get in touch.
    Rich

• Jonathan says

Hi Rich. I also inherited some teak Royal Cado pieces, but the vertical rails were not included. If you have any rails available, I am definitely interested. I might also be interested in some panels or other pieces to round out what I have. Thanks.

19. Jeff Allan says

Hi… a friend of mine purchased a modular shelving unit in a thrift shop recently. It wound up being too large for his house and so he was planning on selling it. Neither one of us had a clue as to what we were looking at and how we should list the item in an ad. After days of researching we think we have a Cado piece but unlike anything we saw oniine. Perhaps someone can give us some insight….

It is free standing and has the standard 3 sections and finished on both sides so it can be used a s a room divider. The middle includes the pull down desk and on one side you have 3 drawers and a cabinet and the other side has the record storage area as well as a another cabinet.

Now, what makes this piece unusual is there is lattice on all the support beams. Im not even sure if lattice is the right term because its not on the outside of the beams, its build into the 1 inch beams. So there is criss cross 1″ slats inside each beam… and finally, and all the drawers & doors are carved… simple square inside square inside square…. its very Polynesian. i wanted to post pictures but didnt know how… if anyone is interested in helping us identify this item, please let us know… hopefully it is OK to post the email address here…it is alberts_world@yahoo.com. We can send pics upon request.

We realize there is a possibility this is not an actual Cado piece in which case we’d really like to know what we have here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Jeff
    alberts_world@yahoo.com

20. Reg Shrader says

Looking for parts (hardware) for my 3-bay (large uprights) Royal Cado System wall unit. Need hex head set screws used to tighten the stretchers (horizontal pieces connecting the uprights) and the bayonet-shaped pieces used to connect the stretchers to the uprights. I bought this system in Germany in the mid-70s. It is walnut and has four large (12-in+) uprights. Haven’t seen one exactly like it, but original paperwork says it is Royal Cado system. Any help would be appreciated.

21. flavie says

Hi everyone,

I wanted to say first that I’ve learned a lot reading all this blog and comments!

But still I would like to ask a bit of help. I’m having problems to decide if my Cadovius shelf is a Cado or a Royal System.
    Its the same one as here: http://www.design-only.com/fr/etagere/10000018-etagere-scandinave-par-poul-cadovius-1960s-018.html

I don’t know what kind of wood it is neither, and I think it’s pretty rare to have this kind of feet, right?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• says

Flavie:

You have a real Royal System! Built by the now defunct Royal System company…..
      It’s rare in that it has feet which were not available later in production runs.
      It’s in teak.

It’s a prize piece! Enjoy.

Steve

• Flavie says

Hi Steve, sorry but I do have some questions still… The Royal System is the name of the furniture system, but its not the manufacturer right? Is it Cado who edited this shelf?
        Thanks a lot for your kind help.

• says

Flavie:

Royal System is the name, now out of business, of the manufacturer. We’ve had a contributor on this post who would absolutely know but I, as an ex-retailer, knew of only 2 wall system designs.. One was called “Royal System” and one was named “Cado”, probably a play on the designer’s name.

Hope this clarifies.

Steve

Regina:

Pam’s right but if you can’t find it, either toggles or Mollys will do it.
    Molly bolts just make far less of a mess, and since it’s a sheer weight load, they’ll be fine.

Plumb level the first vertical, set it in and then use a shelf to make the correct space to the next vertical (as well as keep the shelf level) and set the next one. Just takes 4 or 5 arms….

Steve

23. Fred Peters says

I have a 4 section walnut Cado system that stands on tension poles. In addition to shelves it has a bar, desk and stereo cabinet. I also have wall mount poles stored away. I’d like to know if any walnut 8″ shelves with brackets are available.

24. Karen Shoop says

I need a living room wall unit for my stereo components, TV/DVD player and about 10″ worth of records. Would also like a couple floating cabinets and a slanted forward shelf for magazines. I have looked at vintage wall units and LOVE the look of them, but none of them seem to have enough storage for my needs, so I am guessing that I might have to go with something new for a custom fit. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

25. Karen Shoop says

I did not mean to be vague, but I guess what I was hoping for was recommendations of companies that do new ones, as from what I have seen, nothing vintage out there has enough capacity for my storage needs. I know about ISS already, are there any other companies that anyone knows of?

Are Cadovius units marked anywhere with his name. We have one in our shop and it’s stamped ‘made in Denmark’ on the backs of the cabinets. Is that all they’re marked with? And ours has what appears to be a space to insert a tv, there are grates on the top and bottom, but we can’t find a similar picture of it anywhere. You can view a photo of it on the front page of our website, the slide show. We’d appreciate any info/help.
    Kim

• says

Hey Kim:

The photo you show is not a Royal System/Cado system.
          Both of those “systems” are usually wall hung but never free-standing case goods.

Sorry!

Steve
          (an old Lake Swanzey camper)

• says

Thank you for getting back to me Steve. Do you know what that system could be? I am finding freestanding Cado systems online when I do a google search but none quite like ours.
            I do appreciate any help.
            Kim

• says

Kim:

First of all, freestanding Cado/Royal Systems are fairly rare. Both product lines were designed basically to be wall hung. There were “leg” products produced to make the wall products stand by themselves but the case goods were not finished on the backs so they were not so hot! Or popular.

So watch out. Cado may not be Cado!

Sorry but I have no idea what you have in your photo. In the late 40’s and into the 70’s many Scandinavian factories, and in Italy, as well as some in Canada, produced teak case goods for export to the USA, so it’s a crap shoot on this one.

Steve
              of Swanzey in the 40’s!

• JD says

However, it is System Cado that was available the end of the 70’s thru the 80’s. Our stores carried the freestanding uprights for use as either wall systems or room dividers. The cabinets were the same as the wall mounted minus the pegs and a finished backing was available depending on the use. I sold a few, not many, because the uprights, if I remember, were solid wood (either teak, walnut or rosewood/palisander and were quite pricey. My biggest sale was over $40,000 for four bay unit with all cabinets–c. 1988.

• says

Kim:

By the way, I finally got your rolling slide show to stop and took a long look at what you have. It looks to be a quality piece, and in fine shape, so I’d hunt around for an old guy who has handled teak for years to get an idea of what you have.

I’ve not been in New England for many years but there used to be an import house over in Hadley MA and several in Cambridge MA….never mind several in Manhattan. There are also several “Scan” stores in the Tampa FL market…

Good Hunting.

Steve

27. Alfredo Catani says

I sold so much Cado back in early seventies that I won a free trip to factory in Denmark .Cadovious hosted and gave us all tours of factory as well as dinner parties. He was so gracious and had a magnetic personality.Great guy,great trip,wonderful memories!

28. Alfredo Catani says

Forgot to differentiate between Cado and royal system.Cado shelves are supported by wooden brackets and Royal System shelves are supported by metal wire brackets. The systems are not interchangeable.

• David dru says

Alfredo,
      What was the spec for how much weight or load one could safely put on those wood slats? On mine i am able to get one of those slats (middle one of 5) screwed into a stud with the others into the drywall with molly type bolts rated for 100 lbs each.

29. Pat Futch says

I have a 5 bay Cado wall unit that I began purchasing in 1962 from Wilson Furniture in Sacramento. Bought additional pieces through the years from Scan Design. Still as beautiful and functional as the day it was purchased. We were a military family and moved a lot. The wall unit always fit wherever we lived…even if we had to break it into two units. Today it is a single unit that adds a lot of impact to my large living room. Love Midcentury Modern.