$20 glam: Create a romantic retro bedroom focus wall — using our starburst stencil pattern and metallic paint

romantic bedroom We have another reader — Patti — who got all fearless and crafty-like and has used our free starburst stencil pattern to add romantic, glamorous retro starbursts to her bedroom wall. Dreamy!

romantic retro bedroom with starburst stencils

Patti writes:

Patti in her girlfriend's mom's 1960's eyeglasses -- recently cleared from the time capsule 1960 house.

I just stenciled the stars onto the wall behind my bookcase headboard, (a peachy pink wall) and used silver metallic. It is AWESOME! I can’t get over what an impact it made. I made one star on paper following Karen’s instructions(8×10)… then reduced it on the copier by 75% and 50% so they’d all be the same… then traced them onto the stencil blank and cut them out. You could also use the stencil with a clear gloss paint on a flat wall. Wouldn’t that be cool!

I also sent a pic of the label on the silver paint, color is Shimmering Silver, bought at Hobby Lobby. It was $7.99 but I used a 40% off coupon. All the other paints are Sherwin Williams Super Paint. Bedroom is Peach Blossom #6624 (interior flat).

And… I also, just in the past few days, painted my drab garage doors and stenciled the starbursts on a few panels. I used the same stencil from my bedroom but turned it sideways, big star on the left on the left door and flipped it on the right door. I have a really hard time being ‘random’!

I’ll be starting on my kitchen next month. Because, as you know…the fun never stops!

romantic bedroom with starburst stencil metallic paintI asked Patti a few more questions, she responded:

…I stippled the garage because the doors are kinda textured. I used the same stipple brush for the bedroom but used it more like a regular brush, kinda sweeping over all the edges so it wouldn’t bleed under. (The silver paint is silky.) It was easier when I decided, halfway through the bedroom wall, to use stencil adhesive. I didn’t have to use stencil adhesive on the garage because the door paint was still a little tacky.

…Not counting the price of the wall paint and only counting the cost of actual materials used it’s more like $5. I barely used any of the silver paint and adhesive and only one stencil sheet. But if you have to go out and buy it all new, $20 is close.

Thank you, Patti, for sharing, and Happy Birthday To You! The bedroom is awesome, indeed. And readers, I already asked Patti where she got that wonderful bedspread. “eBay,” she said, “$29.98..more than I normally spend but I love it.”

Get stippling, tribe. Here’s the pattern: Three starburst stencil projects — including a free pattern

stencil patter atomic starburst

click on this image – it will enlarge – print it to make your stencil pattern (resize according to your needs)

Finally: Reader Nancy even made a pattern of Karen’s stencil, which she has shared out into our retro universe. She says:

Hi – I made a starburst template, following Karen’s great instructions! Feel free to use it. One image is a higher resolution that the other. Go to my photobucket and scroll down:

Happy stencilling!

Comments

1. Nancy says

Everything looks great!! Are those butane candles in your bedroom? I recently spotted some on Ebay (never seen them before) & wondered if they worked?
    Really beautiful job!

• Patti Cannan says

No the candles are just regular wax tapers from Hobby Lobby. Never heard of butane candles. I’ll check them out.

2. Leslie says

Patti ~ I love your bedroom walls, so cute. I have the exact same furniture pieces, love the bookcase headboard, and your dresser is what I’ve used as my buffet in my dining room. Thanks for the inspiration…

• Patti Cannan says

Yes, my dresser is a HW buffet, found on craigslist for $150! When I refinished all my HW pieces, I also veneered my boxsprings. You can’t see it in the pic but it’s the same champange finish as the rest.

That looks fantastic! Now I just need to decide which walls in my house I want to do this to. I also make mid century looking fiberglass lampshades and am thinking that starburst pattern would look really good on them as well.

4. Laurie V says

I am new to this blog, but I’m really LOVING IT! I am so a mid-century convert now. I just never realized how wonderful & fun this style can be. I’m ready to get rid of my 112 yr old home for one that was built in the 50s, So, thanks again for this FABULOUS site.

• ChrisH says

Laurie V,

We also have an older house (1917) but we’re close to paying it off, and there is no way we’d sell just to move to a mid century (as much fun as it would be)

Older houses probably had some mid century decor back when mid century was “new” not retro. So there is really nothing wrong with doing it in your older home.

This might be “blasphemous” to say on this site, but you really don’t have to keep your house “period correct” and the older it is, the less you need to worry about that, IMO.

This might make a good topic for an in depth discussion.

• says

I agree. The only “rule” I have is nothing goes in the house that is older than the house itself. Ours is an 1880 Victorian and I have slowwwwwwly been converting the decor to a blend of MCM and eclectic.

• Donna says

I have an 1883 Italianate farmhouse. The way I combine styles I like, i.e. MCM is to treat various rooms as the natural progression of a house 120 yrs old….the outside is 1883, a bedroom is 1920, kitchen is MCM.

• says

Ya know, I read something about the set design on Mad Men a couple years ago, and they pointed out that they didn’t use all MCM pieces because their homes wouldn’t have been full of brand new stuff.

This was before Don and Megan uber-Mod apartment though.

5. nina462 says

Cute, cute, cute. Love the paint job. And the furniture & bedspread. I decided this year to look for a new bedroom set – as I have the ever 90’s popular Broyhill Fontana set (everyone had that set).

Great job!

Wow! I love it! I have a set of pink starburst lamps with matching fiberglass shades in almost the same color combo as your room. The light fixture next to the bed is great, too.

Another idea, maybe for those who rent or those who want a less-permanent design, would be to cut the starburst out of metallic contact paper and apply it to the wall. It’s fully removable and (I’ve heard) won’t damage the wall surface.

7. Mick "Big Daddy" DiSalle says

Oh, my GOSH! *Love* (I’m wondering how it might look if I painted my ceiling in the bedroom a dark blue matte, and then did this ‘star’ effect… Hmm… !! Great look!

8. Paula says

This looks so great!. I used the same stencil paint on a bathroom 14 years ago and it wears like a champ! A little crazy advice; save your stencil! I had to touch up the background of my stenciled bathroom last summer and used my original stencil to cut masking pieces. It made the job super easy.

Wow, that looks FANTASTIC. Might have to do the same in my office. And kitchen. And on the garage door. And perhaps a few sneaky ones on the small wall in the library.

Patti, you did a marvellous job! It looks so SWANK!