The Old Appliance Club comes to Kathy’s rescue — her 1959 GE wall oven broils again

Yes, it can be done: You can get replacement parts for your vintage stoves, ovens, ranges and other old appliances. Kathy did it — using a resource that readers pointed out here on the blog. Oh, and so cool: Kathy’s kitchen was originally used by a professional cook in the Betty Crocker Test Kitchens! Continue on for Kathy’s happy ending story –>

Kathy writes:

I just wanted to say thanks for such a great web-site. I was able to get the broiler parts for my original with the house, yellow 1959 GE wall oven that the local Service Plus plan (through local gas company Center Point Energy) repairman said they “couldn’t” get anymore. I found your mention of The Old Appliance Club, and they hunted down the parts twice! I didn’t order soon enough the first time.

Gets better! My repairman said since they told me the parts were not available the first time they came out, they would REIMBURSE me. Wow! Saved $150.

I was really happy to keep my oven and cook-top since they are great, original, and the original owner was a professional cook in the Betty Crocker test kitchens in Golden Valley, MN at General Mills near my home. They have some history connection.

My broiler works great. Only cost me the monthly svc fee of $17.50 and I don’t have to remodel and get new appliances. I got an estimate on the remodel. Minimum of $1,500 and then buy the appliances to boot. Thanks again. I’m hooked now that I know I can do this! On to the teal bathroom! (The pink bathroom is in the basement.) :)

One happy girl!

Way to go, Kathy. And thank you, The Old Appliance Club!

Comments

1. Aaron says

I wanted to leave an additional comment. My bottom burner stopped working, so I was looking for one online. Today I pulled out the burner and discover the wire was broken at the connector. I replaced the connector, installed the burner and it works great, so check the wires before you look for a burner.

2. Rachel says

Would anyone know the dimensions of the insert portion of the wall oven? I have the same exact one (though white) and it works beautifully!

3. Andrew says

kathy,
    i live in frankfort, ky and i have these exact appliances in my kitchen. i have the stove, wall oven and overhead fan. they work great. i honestly cant believe they still. blows my mind that we have the same appliances down to the color and they still work.

andrew

4. Debra Baldwin says

This web site is very exciting. I have a “Copper” 1959 wall oven and stove, and the repair guy was advising me to replace the range today… Not a chance! However, I had a question about the clock and timer on my oven. Are those reparable? They have not worked since we bought the house in 2000…

Debra, we are not experts on questions like this. As discussed in the story – give a try to TOAC. Good luck.

5. Barb M says

I just happened onto your site and found the many comments interesting and fun.

The house was originally “model” home, I purchased the house in 1976 from the first buyer. It had/has the GE Americana double oven/stove and a matching vent on the top. Although many of you refer to the color as yellow, it was actually called Harvest Gold. The matching refrigerator and dishwasher have bee replaced.

I dread getting rid of this double oven/stove. Is there any other appliance you have heard of lasting almost 45 years that can do everything you need? No. What annoys me is that this gem can’t be replaced.

So, thank you for sharing your thoughts about this magnificent appliance, albeit a dinosaur.

6. Alomdra says

Hello my name is Alondra… I have a 1950s pink General Electrics built in stove and oven… Sadly my stove broke… And I don’t know what I’m looking for!! Someone please help!!

• says

To ANYBODY with an old GE oven (particularly built-in) it will be much easier finding parts and info if you locate the model number. It will probably be stamped into a small metal plate. Mine is inside the oven door, on the bottom. I couldn’t read it very easily so I took a photo.

Here is a photo showing my oven and the location of its plaque (model JD-14, date of manufacture still unknown.) https://flic.kr/p/uhkdEA

Maybe this will help a few of you whose ovens are as old as mine. Also, if you want more info regarding vintage GE model #’s (click then scroll down) or you just want to see my time-capsule home in progress, you can click this album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/seahorses-forever/sets/72157633989560371

Good luck!! :)

• Amber Dawn says

Thanks!!
          Also, I might have the GE Manual to the oven pictured in this post. It has info for a built-in J-501, and for the range a J-551. My range has the controls built into the hood for safety purposes so it doesn’t match. It also includes stand-alone ovens J-244 (Spacemaker) J-245 (Spacemaker Deluxe) J-403 (Stewardess) J-367 (Airliner) J-405 (Speedster) J-402 (Deluxe Stratoliner) J-408 (Deluxe Liberator) and maybe a couple more that are listed in a chart but not pictured. If I had to guess a date, I’d say 1960, but the manual is not dated. (Pre Zip Code, though.) If anybody needs some info on any of these models I can scan it for you, providing I don’t decide to sell the book in my etsy shop.

I was hoping it’d be similar enough for my oven, but not quite. My oven (JD-14) is apparently pretty rare because most people opted for the new self-cleaning P-7 model. We thought it was broken because the element wouldn’t stay lit most of the time, even after being replaced, but I wouldn’t get a new one!!! We knew the clock didn’t work anymore, so one day I set the dial to Time Bake instead of (normal) Bake just to see what would happen, and it worked. Apparently the knob had fallen off at some point and wasn’t put back on correctly, so Time Bake is actually Regular Bake. Haha. I wasn’t letting it go without a fight. Luckily, it was a really easy fight and I happened to win.

Unfortunately, I lost the fight regarding the purchase of the most amazing vintage GE refrigerator I’ve ever seen in person. Brown outside, baby blue with snowflakes inside. If it had fit into my car, we’d own it, ’cause our fridge is new and throws everything off. Also it wouldn’t fit through our front door, so the fact that it would’ve been a “yard fridge” (to quote my husband) didn’t help its cause. https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4ZKzTd

7. Debra says

When I called a vintage appliance repair shop (alas, too far away from me to use!) the woman said that often the clocks stop working just because they need oil, and that often if one takes the back off (after turning off power source, of course) and adds a few drops of oil, they start working again. I have not tried this, but am thinking about it and wanted to share it and ask opinions of those with 60’s GE ovens whose heating elements work just fine, but whose clocks are now just cosmetic…
    By the way, I just watched the charming movie, “Blast from the Past” in which a guy grows up in a bomb shelter and then emerges in the 1990’s and tries to relate to the society around him with great comic effect, and predictable romantic success …. and couldn’t help noticing the *fantastic* blue GE appliances in the bomb shelter :-)

• Amber Dawn says

What kind of vintage oven do you have? If it’s by GE,I might have a manual which includes instructions on maintenance and using the clock. I could scan it if anybody needs it, as mentioned above.

Mine is a 1960’s(?) GE built-in with a broken clock. Since it’s a built-in, the “back” is inside my wall. I’m not sure how we’d oil it, but I don’t think that’s the problem with mine.

We replaced both elements from a nearly identical oven I found by a dumpster, and then realized that they were fine all along—the knob’s just wrong. My oven works perfectly on “Time Bake” but regular bake is unreliable at best and flickers on and off like an electrical disaster. I’m assuming it’s because the clock is broken, but I’m just happy I got it working again!