• The Old Appliance Club comes to Kathy’s rescue — her 1959 GE wall oven broils again

Yes, it can be done: You can get replacement parts for your vintage stoves, ovens, ranges and other old appliances. Kathy did it — using a resource that readers pointed out here on the blog. Oh, and so cool: Kathy’s kitchen was originally used by a professional cook in the Betty Crocker Test Kitchens! Continue on for Kathy’s happy ending story –>

Kathy writes:

I just wanted to say thanks for such a great web-site. I was able to get the broiler parts for my original with the house, yellow 1959 GE wall oven that the local Service Plus plan (through local gas company Center Point Energy) repairman said they “couldn’t” get anymore. I found your mention of The Old Appliance Club, and they hunted down the parts twice! I didn’t order soon enough the first time.

Gets better! My repairman said since they told me the parts were not available the first time they came out, they would REIMBURSE me. Wow! Saved $150.

I was really happy to keep my oven and cook-top since they are great, original, and the original owner was a professional cook in the Betty Crocker test kitchens in Golden Valley, MN at General Mills near my home. They have some history connection.

My broiler works great. Only cost me the monthly svc fee of $17.50 and I don’t have to remodel and get new appliances. I got an estimate on the remodel. Minimum of $1,500 and then buy the appliances to boot. Thanks again. I’m hooked now that I know I can do this! On to the teal bathroom! (The pink bathroom is in the basement.) :)

One happy girl!

Way to go, Kathy. And thank you, The Old Appliance Club!

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. Annette Lamoreaux says:

Oops. Obviously that should have been ” we bought” from the original owner.

2. Mary Roberts says:

Oh Kathy…you have no idea how much you helped me! We bought a vintage Westinghouse Wall Oven at a garage sale that fell in love with. It looked perfect! We were crushed to find out the elements were burned out after a service company checked it out for us. This meant we could not use the unit since there were no parts to be had anywhere! We went back to the people we purchased it from just to ask if they tried to get the elements. It was their mom’s and after checking with her, that was the reason she sold it. I happened to stop by this wonderful web site (big thank you Pam) and saw your inspiring pictures and information. We did contact The Old Appliance Club on the web. They made brand new elements for us and our Westinghouse oven is up and running again like the day it was manufactured. You and Pam get all the credit. We had no idea where to turn until we read your story. This is the best, best site on the web. I’m so HAPPY! :) THANK YOU!!!!!!!

3. Kathy Young says:

Do you have a model number for your oven? I need a knob for a similar oven. Thank you

4. Joe Crawley says:

We have the identical unit in our home and it still works and I have ordered parts in the past to keep it running. It’s performance is outstanding.

5. Mary Salazar says:

I have a 1950′s Crosley electric stove top. Does anyone know where to get parts for it.

6. I own a 1959 Yellow GE Automatic Wall Oven, just like the one pictured on site. I’m having trouble locating model/serial number… I need to replace lower heating element. I did find the following numbers on a metal plate which reads (J720T3YE 38 ZT080482A) but, when I search I receive a “NO RESULTS FOUND” Any suggestions?

7. I have a GE Wall Oven & Cook Top. They were in my home when I purchased it. I believe they are from the early 60s. The cook top is a 4 burner coil select /electric. The oven is a model # J KS06 0034D / serial #HS06710 G. Was wondering if anyone could tell me where I might find info for these appliance. A manual or a website or…?? Any information is appreciated. Would like to keep them.