How to clean a fiberglass shower base to look like NEW — my best product find yet

Ok, this is such a disgusting story — when you get to the “before” photos after the jump, you will see what I mean. I apologize. I endeavor to redeem my bad housekeeping by letting you see me look like an absolute fright in this silly video.

how to clean fiberglass

“Before”. See? OMG embarrassing.

This is the shower that my husband uses. I am — voluntarily — in charge of cleaning the fiberglass shower base (Swanstone). I am not very diligent about it. Obviously. Historically, I have used Lysol Basin Tub & Tile cleaner liquid in the spray bottle. It has “worked”, but it always took me like three applications, lots of letting it sit and soak, then wiping up over and over with a rag. It took forever and still there were always bits of scum left in the anti skid pattern of the fiberglass shower pan. Then the darn dirt would start building up again, fast and furious. So, you can see why I avoided the task: It was sisyphean.

“After.” All it took for me to become The Queen of Clean was The Right Tools.

But ha!, disgusting fiberglass days are over!

clean kohler tubWhen I bought a special cream cleanser — ROG1 — to clean the bathtub’s slip resistant bottom — which worked like a dream — see the photo ABOVE — I also received a second, general purpose solution — ROG3 — that said it would clean fiberglass. So I gave it a try and Yowza: This fiberglass shower pan also cleaned up like a dream — faster and better than anything I have ever tried before.

But, please note:

Disclaimer: Here on the blog, as homeowners ourselves, we may try new cleaning products aimed at solving our own cleaning problems; if we think we’ve found something promising to consider, we may write about it. But, we are not professional chemists or engineers or home economists. So, please: Do your own research into these products and their suitability for your projects before trying them. More info in Terms of Use.

rog3 for cleaning fiberglassWhat did I use to clean the fiberglass? The ROG3 — the bottle of blue solution on the right. It said on the instructions that it could be used for fiberglass. So I tried it. My process:

I wet down the shower base. I sprayed on the ROG3 pretty liberally, full strength. I let it sit for… like 5 minutes, probably more. I scrubbed with my Dobie. I rinsed. No photo, but watch the video: There was still a little bit of dirt around the drain — the area that always gets the dirtiest. For step two, I reapplied, focusing on this area. Waited. Scrubbed with the Dobie. Rinsed, and….

… I am telling you, this shower pan has not looked this clean since the day it was installed. Even when it was installed, my contractor commented how difficult it was to keep these things clean. Well. Those days are OVER.

Link: It’s expensive, but I think I will buy a lifetime supply this week, just in case — Where to buy your own stash of ROG3.… or, you can buy it from Amazon.

And note: I received no payment or anything to write this review; I discovered and paid for the product I tested myself.

Comments

1. juju says

hi! we have a tub from 1953 that is IMPOSSIBLE to clean completely. i have tried everything. probably why it is so impossible – everyone before me must have tried all the wrong things and made it that much harder to get clean… now we are going to sell our house and i need to get it as white as possible. i have no idea what it’s made of, but it’s white and i can tell it’s a bit rough on the surface where people have probably used abrasives they shouldn’t have (yes, probably including me). magic eraser takes the gunk off but only if i SCRUB so hard it falls apart. kaboom only worked the first time i tried it. then i never worked again. bleach doesn’t do anything. baking soda doesn’t do anything. method products are like a joke. how do i know what my tub is made of and what is safe for it when it’s so old and ruined? sorry for the long question!

2. Connie says

We just installed a new shower made of fiberglass, I’m looking for a cleaner that is easy to use and will not hurt the finish.

3. Shellee says

We had our tub reglazed when it was time to sell our house. It looked brand new again…but does cost about $250.

I have not heard good things about reglazing in terms of longterm durability…. best not to use abrasives and acids to begin with, so you don’t wreck the original finish.

• ejohnson1001@yahoo.com says

We bought a house with a reglazed tub 9 years ago. I only clean with ivory Dishwashing Liquid soap. I still looks good. I’m very happy with it and would recommend it even if it needed reglazing every decade.

4. Susan says

I used Dirtex that I got at Ace Hardware for about $4 and a regular scrubbie sponge, and it worked beautifully!!! When I sprinkled the Dirtex on the shower floor and scrubbed with a wet sponge, it immediately started to work. But I decided to generously sprinkle the entire floor pan with the Dirtex, add enough water to turn it into a paste, and waited an hour or two. It looks like new! I don’t know if the way I did it was necessary, but try it!! I’ve tried a lot of other things, and was never able to make a dent in the grunge. This works!!

I don’t know. I looked this one up and the manufacturer says for: glass, chrome, porcelain, ceramic tile, appliance enamels

No mention of fiberglass.

I *think* the issue re whatever you use with fiberglass is that you don’t want to take off or etch (abrade) the fiberglass gel coat – it is protective and makes the fiberglass easier to keep clean. Harsh cleaners will make a surface “look” clean, and it will be — but the protective coating will be wrecked. It will just keep getting dirtier faster if you take off that gelcoat, whereas if you protect the gelcoat your fiberglass shower pan should last… forever.

I am not an expert – perhaps on Dirtex, best to contact the maker and ask about its use on fiberglass… And/or, ask the maker of your fiberglass shower pan what they recommend.

5. Jo says

I am desperately looking for a cleaner for my one person shower enclosure and I think it is fiberglass. I would love to try this product, but my problem is there is very little ventilation in this bathroom and no window and I am pretty sensitive to chemical odors. Can you let me know if this has any odors that eminate while you are waiting for the 5 minutes to soak? Thank you.

• Gracie Rugile says

I use cheap shampoo (vo 5) or sauve…and a wash cloth. Use a lot, It cleans beautifully…pretty smell.

6. Erin says

Cleaner Recommendation? Anyone use EdFred? I was considering ordering but wanted to give a vinegar solution a try first.
    Congrats on the mislabeling discovery! They should send you a few free bottles for that one! :o)