1950 mid century modern house in Dallas — original condition time capsule — 25 photos

mid century modern housemid century modern houses in original condition Come on in. You surely won’t be disappointed. Mega thanks to reader Susan for spotting today’s mid century marvel time capsule house in Dallas, Texas. The original owner was an architect and builder — and oh my goodness, it shows! 25 specatularicious photos –>

1950 ranch houseThanks also to realtors Hewitt & Habgood for permission to feature these fabulous photos. Above: Love how the brick column toward the left transforms to become a planter at the front and even wraps around the L to the right of the door. This architectural design detail appears to be totally cosmetic (although the eaves may have required support) — a wonderful idea to “break up” the long horizontal of the front facade. No, not wonderful: Brilliant.

1950 living roomHewitt & Habgood’s super nice marketing director Kenton (awesome website, awesome photos, well done, Kenton!) told me that everyone at the agency was in awe of this house, and he got right over to take these photos. Note the awning windows discussed in detail here recently.

living room design ideas The house is a ranch style beauty, built in 1950, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, 3,630 s.f. (tax records). Here is what the real estate description says:

Rare, vintage Mid-Century Modern estate on .55 acres in exceptional original condition with great architectural details. Gracious formals & interiors with sophistication indicative of time period. Enjoy expansive picture windows, gorgeous views of grounds, large bedrooms — each with bath access, great vintage kitchen & breakfast, two fireplaces, hidden wet bar, folding walls, separate guest quarters, basement & secret entrance to fourth bedroom-office make this very special home a must see. If you appreciate the quality and details from the 1950’s MCM architecture, you’ll love this home. Original owner was an architect and builder, and current owner has had for 40+ years and maintained and cared for it beautifully. Great oversized vegetable garden for the enthusiast. Don’t miss out on this one!

Lots of photos so here they come, along with more Pammentary:

crystal chandelierThe white brick = more stunning than words can describe. Does anyone know what name to give this brick? Love the built-in planter, love the wall of mirrors, love the crystal chandelier.

white brick To the right (and visible in other photos, above): A focus wall of wallpaper — matches the wallpaper in the foyer. Again: Brilliant.

1950 housePinch pleats over sheer pinch pleats Rock My World. This is The Way It Is Done.

view to backyardPretty view from the living room to the back yard.

built in bar between kitchen and dining room

Awesome feature gets a frame around the photo — Built-in bar between kitchen and dining room. NOTE: the top lifts up. I think Kenton told me there is a sink there! This is a wet bar!

1950 kitchen

The built-in bar looks to be upholstered on the kitchen-facing side. Nice.

1950 kitchenNote: This is an excellent reference for what a kitchen looks like when you wallpaper just the soffit. That’s laminate on the counters and backsplash.

1950 kitchen Dallas Texas1950 bedroom DallasThe bedrooms all appear to be good sizes (this is a large house for 1950 for sure). If the carpet were in good shape, I would keep every inch of it!

midcentury bedroom provincial styleLots of single-focus walls done in a probably high-grade plywood (?)

1950 pink bathroomSuper delicious: Gray bathroom with pink tile countertops. I love the sliding cosmetic cabinets under the mirros — and I love how the Hollywood vanity lights are installed upside down from the soffit. Also notice: The decorative screening, instead of a solid wall, between the tub area in the back and this toilet area in the front. I wonder if this is a Jack ‘n Jill bathroom?

dressing room in 1950 mid century modern houseDressing area. Lovely handling of the windows above. Vanity cube lights mounted from side.

fabric on wallAnother favorite feature: That wall behind the bed looks to be upholstered. With padding and everything. You Can Do This!

wood wall paneling

large bedroom

large 1950 bedroom

back yard of 1950 midcentury house in dallasBeautiful patio. Notice the detail within the brickwork on the left edge of the house as it turns the corner — the square peepholes.

round concrete patio

Round concrete patio. Great way to break up the sharp edges of the house.

eaves

The eaves — if that’s what you call them — fantastic. And here, you can see further detail of the built-in brick planter-to column roof support design at the front. Brick carried to entrance way step.

This house is perfection.

Link love:

Love these time capsule houses?
See all the gems we’ve uncovered here.

Comments

1. Anna S. Bannana says

This really seems ahead of it’s time for 1950. I vvould have guessed 60s to 68. Elegant, and so, so pretty.

2. natalie says

BEAUTIFUL!! i love all the little details.

the listing says each bedroom has bath access and if there’s only 2 baths, i’m willing to bet at least one of those is a jack n jill!

does anyone know what to call those sliding door cabinets underneath the mirror in the bathroom? i want one but i never know what to search.

is that a plugged in light up mirror in one of the bedrooms?

3. Craig B says

I believe the bricks used for the fireplace, etc. are called Roman bricks. At least that’s what they were called back when I was a kid living in a much uncooler MCM (in our case, midcentury mundane) house than this one.

4. Heather says

@natalie, I went to the open house and confirm that the grey and pink bathroom is a jack-and-jill. The other bathroom that is divided into a powder room (hall access) and bath area (bedroom access), with a door between them, and the office has a half-bath.

Other neat features: there is a skinny secret hallway connecting the front bedroom to the office (which also has a separate entrance for clients to the right of the main front door); the wet bar in the family room does have a lift-up top and the interior is laminated in bright yellow cracked ice Formica (also featured in the HUGE laundry room); the family room has a mosaic tile floor under the wall-to-wall, and that back wall of sliding doors opens all the way (it must have had more of a sunroom feeling originally); there is also a separate studio apartment around the back of the property. It also has a large basement, very unusual in Dallas.

The property is in fantastic condition. It’s in a beautiful part of Dallas, near the hipster quarter (yes, it exists) a 10 minute commute to downtown. Someone please buy this house! There’s another time-capsule house, perfect-o 1978, a few minutes away at 1616 Rio Vista.

5. JKM says

OMG I live in Dallas and know exactly where this house is! Simply stunning and in a fantastic, lovely neighborhood filled with spacious 1950’s homes on rolling to hilly wooded lots. And only five minutes from downtown! And a basement?!? Basements are rare to non-existent here but this house probably has one since it’s built on a hill. I doubt it’ll stay on the market very long. Oh how I wish it could be mine, mine, MINE.

Regarding the brick question, I’ve always heard that style (elongated and thinner than average) referred to as “Roman” brick. Don’t know if that’s an accurate name or not.

I’ve got to do a drive-by!!!!

6. Chris Pehlke says

It’s definitely Roman brick – not sure if that’s what you were meaning though because Roman brick is very very common on 50s / 60s ranches especially in Ontario and I’ve read you’ve spent some time at Ford Oakville ;-)

The size does seem a bit off. Standard Roman is 1-5/8″ x 11-5/8″ and to me it appears that it may be longer than a foot?

• says

AHHH! Roman Brick! I think that is the type of brick my 1962 ranch house is made of! Long and skinny-and mine has ridges down the middle. I’ve asked so many people what the proper name for that type of brick is…so nice to finally know!

7. Lissie says

So, so good….Wish I could see it in person!! I do like the wallpaper on soffit only idea. Pinch pleats are perfection. Also love trellis off the front of the house.

8. RetroSandie says

Oh Wow! This house and the inside is just GORJUS!!!! IF I were getting married (LOL!) I’d want to buy it and move to Dallas in a heartbeat!!!! I get so excited over these beautiful time capsule houses, I could just fly straight up to Cloud 9!!! LOL! :)

9. Annie B. says

Does it get any sweeter? So many delicious elements of style in this U-shaped beauty. My dream house is U-shaped, clad in cream colored Roman brick, with a folded roof, and an atrium.

10. Hillary says

That house seems really progressive for 1950! I’m glad to see the laminate treatment in the kitchen with the square edge and metal trim at the back, it’s the same as mine. I’ve been trying to figure out for a long time if mine’s original to 1949. Almost all of the ads from 1949-50 show a metal edge.

Love the window wall onto the backyard!

11. Jay says

I am always amazed at the sizes of these homes. Such timeless details. Yes, as others have pointed out, it’s Roman brick. i only know this from checking out Ms. Starr’s Portland website and perusing the MCM homes she features. It appears to be a regional thing, No roman brick anywhere in my neck of the woods. The Roman bricks were usually stacked vertically instead of traditional staggered pattern.

12. bryant says

the house is beautiful— but UCK! is that popcorn ceiling?? that stuff isn’t only ugly, it’s an asbestos nightmare…. [pam edited comments about asbestos — Readers, please consult with properly licensed professionals about the materials in your house and how to handle]. the first thing i’d do if i moved in there would be to get a crew to take that stuff out and replace it with a classic 1950s plaster ceiling:

Note: We don’t use the u*** word here — actually, I think the ceilings look pretty nice. But good reminder to folks: Ceilings are another place to test for vintage nastiness such as asbestos; consult with a properly licensed professional to know what materials you have in your house and how you should handle them.

• Frank says

IMHO the acoustic ceilings fit the style of the house. As for the asbestos issue, [edited by Pam — folks, please consult with a properly licensed professional to get advice on how to handle the materials in your house…]

• says

I love a well-done popcorn ceiling! There’s nothing wrong with a little texturing, especially when the house starts to settle.

My parents 1952 house had smooth ceilings until some settling happened in about 1960, and they went with a really nice plaster textured ceiling to cover it – not popcorn, more like a series of swirls – and the workmen did a border of the same pattern for about three inches down on the side walls. Very swank. I wish I had a picture of it.

13. Susan Quinn says

Wow, fantastic home. Love it all. Everytime I go to your website I tell my boss that I am going to move to our head office in Plano and live in a mid-century home. This one is 30 minutes from Plano. I get so jealous of things available in US that we can’t get here in Australia.

14. Ana says

Must. have. house.

It’s fabulous. How great would it be with vintage appliances in the kitchen? I’d love to live there. I even like the address.

15. Suzanne says

Simply elegant. There’s so much that’s right about the house that I never noticed the ‘popcorn’ ceiling. Which I happen to love…as long as it has bits of gold glitter in it. :-)

16. Marjie says

3600+ sq ft! oooo la la….hey! I could really get a work out keeping all that carpet hoovered! wonderful,wonderful home

17. Nancy says

Is that eave detail a sort of attached pergola treatment? Whatever it’s called, it’s a lovely way to provide shade.

18. Mary Beth says

Roman Brick it is – I grew up in a ‘Campinelli’ ranch circa 1957 here in eastern Mass – we had a massive assymetrical fireplace made of the stuff that included steps to the ceiling to display ones 50’s knick- knacks on. The floor plan also include a matching roman brick planter box that supported a driftwood room screen with a plant shelf. Yes we had ferns all over the place even in this wintry climate. It helped that our slab was replete with copper piped, radiant floor heat which kept both us and the ferns happy…

• tammyCA says

I thought the same thing…cartwheels! I used to do them in my childhood home with the long living room…and, always a running leap in front of the picture window.

19. tammyCA says

Oh, to have a time machine…I can hear the tinkling ice at the evening cocktail parties, the swishing full skirts…an elegant house. Every time I see a huge clean, light living room with big picture window I feel transported back to a house I remember visiting as a kid. It had this kind of look…and, I’m pretty sure a candy dish with pretty pastel candies. :)

20. George says

I’m a guy, and I remember those kinds of get togethers. My brothers and I would be outside working on our bicycles while Mom and sisters were inside doing a hen meeting (coffee clutch). I still remember coming inside with hands all greasy from bicycle chain adjustments while all of those pretty ladies sipped coffee and sacheted around the house with their Donna Reed/Laura Petrie high heeled outfits. The house smelled of good food and the world was generally a better place in which to live.

21. Sandy says

There’s a little problem with those exterior built-in brick planters. We have one on our 1964 split level, and the (typically) deep eaves totally cover it. This means that unless it’s raining sideways we still have to water the blasted thing. (Need I add that this gets very old very fast?)

22. Clive says

Wow a Rama
    What a treasure to find intact MCM home. Just love that era,don’t find that style anymore. Everything was in scale unlike mega mansions today. How big does your front door archway really need to be?

23. Joe Felice says

What a beautiful home! It is quite large for a ’50s home, and the rooms are all HUGE. I love that it has been well-cared for.