Video: Kate grouts her pink ceramic wall tiles

Kates-bathroom-graphic3
More happy dances were in order this past weekend after I finished grouting the pink wall tiles in my master bathroom. Yes, things are really starting to take shape in there — getting ever closer to a finished bathroom. Pam asked me to do an impromptu video to show how my bathroom is looking with freshly grouted walls — so if you have about four minutes to spare — why not listen to me geek out about wall grout. You can even play a fun game and count how many times I say, “exciting.”

pink-tilespink-tile-groutedI had such a good experience with the SpectraLock expoxy grout that I used to grout my bathroom floors, that decided to use it for all the walls as well. This time I chose the “bright white” color.

pink-bathroom-tileGrouting vertical tile joints is much more difficult than working on a horizontal surface. Your biggest foe will be gravity. Since my floor was finished, I covered it with protective paper and taped it down to ensure no grout from the walls got on the finished floor. Even if you do your walls first and floor second, it is still a good idea to put down paper or tarps to catch all the grout that falls off the float when grouting. Once this epoxy grout dries on a surface, it is difficult to remove.

pink-ceramic-tilesThe instructions on the SpectraLock container say that use with narrow or vertical joints can leave out up to 10% of the color mixture to make the grout easier to apply. I forgot this when mixing up the first batch, and it was extremely difficult to get into the tile joints. For subsequent batches, I left out about 8-10% of the part C colorant, which helped immensely.

Pink-ceramic-tile-showerStarting on the inside of the shower and working my way around the room took me about three solid days, spread over two weekends. If I thought grouting the floor was a workout, grouting the walls was like total body bootcamp. It took a lot of strength to force the grout into all of those small 1/16 vertical joints — from the tippy top of the shower down to the floor. Let’s just say, my arms feel sore just thinking about it.

pink-bathroomIn the end, the walls look amazing. Up next is the last step to finish off the tile — caulk. The inside corners of all the walls, joints where the floor and wall meet, and the top edge of the bullnose tile are all in need of some caulking. It is important to caulk the corners instead of grouting them because caulk allows for slight movement in these areas. Grout applied to corners will likely crack over time.

Also on deck, the electrician is coming to hook up the lights and fan and I’ve chosen a paint color. Then there’s that little job of building the vanity. Eeek…

Stay tuned.

Comments

• says

Me too! You could charge admission and recoup some of your costs!! Could you imagine a line of RR readers queued-up in your bedroom with tickets in hand waiting to take a shower in your brand new glorious bathroom? Ha ha 😉

1. Mary Elizabeth says

Wow, Kate, another milestone reached! Fantastic job. What color did you pick for the walls? I forget, do you have a tub or just the shower stall? Also, do you have a curtain, shade, or blinds for that little window? Do you think you’ll be done by the holidays? This job has been interesting all along, but now it is getting really exciting!

• Kate says

Thanks Mary Elizabeth. I just painted the walls last night…electrician is coming today…it is all coming together!

No tub — there’s one in my mint green bathroom — and the little window is frosted, so no shade is needed if I don’t want to put one up. My goal is to be 100% done before Thanksgiving…we’ll see if that happens!

2. lynda says

Pretty darn amazing, Kate! You have lots of patience and you are quite the perfectionist. Both skills are needed for tiling. I hope your experience inspires many to try a DIY tiling job!

3. MsKittyMuses says

Wow Kate, it’s beautiful! You really do keep inspiring me to try and take on our bathroom when the time comes. Your choices are fantastic, and really coming together. It’s absolutely gorgeous!

Keep up the good work. Can’t wait to see it all finished!

4. Robin, NV says

Oh Kate, it looks so lovely! Funny how something as “simple” as grout can give the project a nice finished look. Not so simple to do the work though! Way to persevere.

I’m very excited (I only counted 4 “exciteds” in your video, btw) to say that I’m finally getting some estimates to have the front of my house done – new siding, new windows, new gutters, and new doors! My hope is to get it all done before the temperatures drop and the snow starts falling.

• Kate says

Yes! It looks so much more finished with the grout. Installation was not so simple, but now that it is done…yay!!!

Only 4 “exciteds”???? It felt like that’s all I said….

Hey, it is exciting! Ta da indeed! What a lot of tremendously hard work and patience. I like your tile choices very much. The shapes are really pleasing. I like the big glossy tiles on the walls and the mosaic on the floors. The pink is such a nice soft pink. I bet it will be flattering light when putting on your makeup.

6. June Cahill says

Kate – it’s SO BEAUTIFUL! I’m sorry – but I’m still on your floor! I think that would be perfection! You’ve inspired me to hunt that flooring down and install in my salmon/pink master bath! What stamina! I’m so impressed with those gorgeous pretty-in-pink walls – and the grout makes everything come together – oh, but those floors!!!!:)

7. Vickie says

I feel your pain! We remodled a bathroom at my house last year and I did the grout! Floors; piece of cake, walls; not so much! Great job Kate!

I feel sad…my sister covered over her vintage pink bathroom with that crazy tile paint. She went from pink to white…she even had pink hexagon floor tiles! Oh well….

Looks AWESOME!

8. John says

Kate you did great! I absolutely love the pink tile walls and the floor is the prettiest one I have seen in a long time. Is the natural wood door original to the house? It’s beautiful (I cannot stand it when people paint natural wood doors).

9. ken says

I have the same tile pattern in my bathroom, in brown and white mosaic. I’m doing a partial remodel. Anyone know where I might find this tile and also same wall tile in brown. The original tile maker “Wenczel Tile Co” is no longer in business. Been looking for these tiles for over a year. Thanx for any help. Already tried World of Tile, they didn’t have enough of the wall tile, or the right shade of the brown and white mosaic floor tiile.

10. susan Wulff says

Oh my gosh, this is my parent bathroom!!!! My parents had lived their 40yr and since my dad stroke 7yrs ago, lives with me part-time.
    I have been looking “what to do with THAT pink bathroom” for a few years. I too have decided to embrace it. The smaller bathroom too it also has pink everything except a grey tub, toilet and drop in sink.
    Looking to change the wall paper and paint the large vanity. Everything else in perfect condition. My parents were anal about up keep.:)

Sure need suggestions.

Thanks Susan

11. Kathleen says

Can you please give an update on how this grout has performed? I was thinking about it for our white tile and was told on a tile forum that the white epoxy grout can yellow from the resin. That has me worried! I am having a hard time determining the right grout for our tiling…I could go with a very light grey but really wanted the look of the white on white.

(We just installed the same Mercola mosaic tile as your floors in the grey and LOVE it!)