That 70s Kitchen — by Laura Dee

that 70s kitchen Much fun always popping up on our Facebook page. Recently, reader Laura Dee shared this delight:

I just remembered that I drew this in my Architectural Design class. I called it,”That 70s Kitchen”. My teacher questioned my taste level, but I still got an A. lol.

Of course, I was entranced — she got the colors — the harvest gold, the brick red, the avocado green and the darkish woodtones, all ala denim — just right. In our little conversation that followed she added:

I should have put a scallop between the cabinets over the window. Or those curved shelves for keeping knick-knacks on.

Okay, maybe. But this That 70s Kitchen: I Love You Just the Way You Are.

SEE IT BIG — Clicky-loo the following thumbnail to see Laura Dee’s classic drawing supersize delicious:

Comments

1. Steve H says

Yeah, I would say she nailed it. It looks like it came right out of one of those Sunset remodeling books from the period.

2. LuAnn says

Laura, You had to get an A. Your3D drawing is so perfect! I had the fridge and a freestanding stove. Alas, none of the other cool stuff, as they were placed in sort of a make-shift apartment in the second story of an old house. College days…

3. Robin, NV says

The drawing is such an amalgamation of the kitchens I knew as a kid in the 70s. My grandmother had the wainscotting and flowered wallpaper (with chocolate colored sheer curtains). My mom had the harvest gold and brick backsplash. My own house, which seems to have been mildly redecorated in the 70s, had the harvest gold appliances, brick backsplash, and brick pattern linoleum.

Pam and Kate – I vote for a wallpaper uploader. I have some great family photos showing some pretty wild 70s wallpaper.

4. Rose says

Perfect! It looks like my parent’s kitchen from the 70’s. They also had the harvest gold appliances, the sheer curtains. However they had striped wallpaper – harvest yellow, avocado green, orange and white.
    Then in the 80’s my mom changed everything to country blue.

• Gina says

Yep! They sure did put popcorn ceilings in kitchens. Every mid 70’s built house I’ve lived in (all 3 of them) has had them. They’re impossible to clean so you just kind of get used to the ick factor.

5. Sandra says

While I’m not a fan of the 70’s style, I am a writer and story-teller, and what I really LOVE is the placement of the refrigerator magnets.

6. Scott says

Oh my goodness that’s so perfect. The darker to light paint treatment on the appliances is amazing. Thoughtful touch that the artwork is at just the perfect height for the child. Brings back a range of fun-to-nightmarish memories of a year of architectural rendering in college. I still flinch at the sight of a Rapidograph Pen.

Laura, great drawing! I’d agree you totally nailed the look. Not only are the architectural details spot on, the perspective and proportions are completely correct, which is how you got an A. I remember laboring for hours over similar assignments when I went to art school. It’s waaay harder to do than it looks, folks. Thanks for posting!

8. Brian says

Z-Brick all the way!!! We made a special trip to the local K-Mart to purchase about ten boxes of that stuff for the kitchen backsplashes in our “immobile” mobile home!

9. Laura Dee says

Hi, everyone! Thank you for all the awesome comments! 😀 I’m blushing big-time over here. -Laura

Thank YOU, Laura Dee. I have this drawing as my desktop background right now on my computer — it makes me so happy!

10. midmichigan says

Ha, Laura! Very good! The finishing ‘70’s touch was of course the bell-bottom jeans you drew on the young woman. I think the button-up fly was in vogue too.

11. Laurie Louise says

Beautiful, Laura. In addition to nailing the design aspects, the young mom and son are beautifully drawn. The positions of their bodies tell so much about their relationship and life in the home. I’m guessing you took life drawing as well as architecture courses. I love the mom’s babushka that matches her blouse…and those bentwood chairs…lovely, lovely, all of it!

12. Caitlin says

This drawing took me back to my childhood. My parents built a log cabin in the woods in 1977. In addition to the log walls, my mother selected a simple brick red colored wall paper. We, too, had gold appliances including a refridgerator with a kick opener on the bottom. The neighbor’s dog learned how to use it and once stole two pounds of hamburger. Our floors were the same brick red vinyl as in the drawing. My mothers, always a bit a head of the times, selected a creamy Corian counter top. I loved that country kitchen. Thanks for sharing your 70’s kitchen.

This is pretty much my kitchen, sans the harvest gold fridge and dishwasher which have been replaced with, gasp, white. I’ve redone the flooring and there is no wallpaper. My window covering is the original roman shade in wood and gold thread. I love my 70s kitchen.

What’s very funny to me about this artwork is that aside from the appliance, wallpaper and curtain colors, and the flooring (because I’m fairly certain that’s meant to be linoleum), the other elements are very much like my parents’ kitchen from 1971 to 1975. Our appliances were avocado instead of harvest gold. We did have that exact paneled wainscoating, and the cupboards were very, very similar. And if I squint, the linoleum does look like their 70’s plaid indoor-outdoor carpeting in the kitchen. Very good job!