that 70s kitchen Much fun always popping up on our Facebook page. Recently, reader Laura Dee shared this delight:

I just remembered that I drew this in my Architectural Design class. I called it,”That 70s Kitchen”. My teacher questioned my taste level, but I still got an A. lol.

Of course, I was entranced — she got the colors — the harvest gold, the brick red, the avocado green and the darkish woodtones, all ala denim — just right. In our little conversation that followed she added:

I should have put a scallop between the cabinets over the window. Or those curved shelves for keeping knick-knacks on.

Okay, maybe. But this That 70s Kitchen: I Love You Just the Way You Are.

SEE IT BIG — Clicky-loo the following thumbnail to see Laura Dee’s classic drawing supersize delicious:

1. Steve H says:

Yeah, I would say she nailed it. It looks like it came right out of one of those Sunset remodeling books from the period.

2. LuAnn says:

Laura, You had to get an A. Your3D drawing is so perfect! I had the fridge and a freestanding stove. Alas, none of the other cool stuff, as they were placed in sort of a make-shift apartment in the second story of an old house. College days…

3. Robin, NV says:

The drawing is such an amalgamation of the kitchens I knew as a kid in the 70s. My grandmother had the wainscotting and flowered wallpaper (with chocolate colored sheer curtains). My mom had the harvest gold and brick backsplash. My own house, which seems to have been mildly redecorated in the 70s, had the harvest gold appliances, brick backsplash, and brick pattern linoleum.

Pam and Kate – I vote for a wallpaper uploader. I have some great family photos showing some pretty wild 70s wallpaper.

4. Rose says:

Perfect! It looks like my parent’s kitchen from the 70’s. They also had the harvest gold appliances, the sheer curtains. However they had striped wallpaper – harvest yellow, avocado green, orange and white.
    Then in the 80’s my mom changed everything to country blue.

1. Gina says:

Yep! They sure did put popcorn ceilings in kitchens. Every mid 70’s built house I’ve lived in (all 3 of them) has had them. They’re impossible to clean so you just kind of get used to the ick factor.

5. Sandra says:

While I’m not a fan of the 70’s style, I am a writer and story-teller, and what I really LOVE is the placement of the refrigerator magnets.

6. Scott says:

Oh my goodness that’s so perfect. The darker to light paint treatment on the appliances is amazing. Thoughtful touch that the artwork is at just the perfect height for the child. Brings back a range of fun-to-nightmarish memories of a year of architectural rendering in college. I still flinch at the sight of a Rapidograph Pen.

7. Karin says:

Laura, great drawing! I’d agree you totally nailed the look. Not only are the architectural details spot on, the perspective and proportions are completely correct, which is how you got an A. I remember laboring for hours over similar assignments when I went to art school. It’s waaay harder to do than it looks, folks. Thanks for posting!