Modbox new midcentury modern wall-mount mailbox — on Kickstarter now

midcentury-modern-mailboxFirst there was the Modbox post-mounted mailbox. Now: Company owner and entrepreneur Greg Kelly is back on Kickstarter with a second Modbox design — a wall-mount mailbox. It’s a really ingenious design that allows you to mix and match colors — and wait until you see the additional letter tray.

modbox-mailbos

Above: Schematics: There are two key pieces — the box and the revolving letter holder inserted into the box.

modbox-design

Above: You can order the box in one color — and the letter holder in another!

modbox-letter-tray

Above: And there’s an optional letter tray, as well.

Some details from Kickstarter page:

Crafted in America using 20 gauge cold rolled galvanized steel that is 75% thicker than most mailboxes today.

We’ll powder coat the mailbox inside and out, baking at 400 degrees. This method is more environmentally friendly than using baked enamel.

Anodized aluminum will be used for the handle (8 gauge). Looks great with the color options!

The modbox measures 15″ long x 6″ high x 4.5″ deep.

modboxSeriously, looking at all those colorful colors — it’s like being a kid in a candy store. A candy store full of mailboxes.

Modbox on Kickstarter:

Disclosure: Modbox is an advertiser in our Midcentury Marketplace.
This story is not part of “the deal,” though.
You can read more about how we make a living on the blog here.

Comments

1. Brooke says

I would support the kickstarter and/or buy a mailbox down the road but the company doesn’t ship to Canada (be forewarned fellow Canadians)

2. cathie says

Home mail delivery is being phased out here so sadly, I have no need for this, but I’d like to buy one just because!, I could find something to use it for, they’re lovely.

3. ModCodAli says

As a happy owner of the original design, I think anyone who orders one of these will be very happy. Mine is beautiful and extremely well made, just like the old school mailboxes were.

4. Dan O. says

Nice job, if it’s actually silent in operation I think it’ll be real winner. For a few years I lived with a tinny, poorly designed and installed mailbox: the thing would creak loudly when you opened it, the lid would crash down with a metal on metal BANG when you dropped it closed and now and again it would even fall off the wall because of the hokey way it was designed to hang off the mounting screws.

• says

Hey Dan, I agree with your observation regarding most wall mounted mailboxes! I’ll send Pam a cross-section of the mailbox that shows the 3M Bumpon used as a stop that provides sound dampening (maybe she can post it here). The technical design took into account the 0.120 inch height of the bumpon. When it closes, you hear a solid ‘thud’ like a car door! You’ll notice the emboss in the diagram too, we use for points to fasten the modbox to the wall. Yay!

One more note, we are using an igus iglide flanged bearing that is engineered and manufactured in Germany. The bearing is placed over the stainless steel pin at the pivot point of the Letter Box (door) within the Housing (shell). The estimated igus service life, if you open the door twice ever day, is over 40 years!

Greg

I love it. It’s a nice, sleek design, and the color options are wonderful. I don’t have delivery to my door, so the first mailbox is on my wish list, but I would consider buying this and using it inside for something like some of the other people suggested.

6. Lylyn says

I would love a recessed wall box. I have existing masonry brick walls at the main entrance with an adjacent small window that I am going to close in and I would love to recess a letter box in its place. Do you the ability to make a trim that would allow this box to be recessed?

7. Tracy says

I agree with another poster, please make a LOCKED version. These are sad times we are living in and after several stolen packages/letters, this has become a necessary addition for us. Thanks!