pink bathroom decorate

Glamorlux aka Nancy is a new reader, who sent these darling photos of her 1959 pink hall bathroom. She didn’t have to be on the blog too long to know how to get my attention!

pink poodle shower curtain

Hi Pam,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I are restoring a 1959 split-level house back to its original mid-century glory. Luckily, most of the original fixtures and features were never updated – including a pink bathroom! We are gathering the materials to re-do our kitchen. It has the original Textolite “golden beige twilight” countertops, however, they are worn and don’t have the metal banding, which we like the look of. So, we just ordered the Formica Aqua Boomerang laminate through The Home Depot (where a 3′ x 10′ piece is only $56!). Thanks to you, we also ordered the ss metal banding from Dave Sanders.

pink bathroom

…Our pink hall bathroom is part of what sold us on our 1959 split-level home. It is sort of tame as vintage pink bathrooms go, but I guess they were toning them down by the late 50’s. The toilet, tub, salt and pepper tile, mosaic floor, light fixture, casement window and venetian blind are original. We believe the sink and vanity were replaced (probably in the 1980’s), but at least they didn’t put in an oak cabinet! It had the original Hall-Mack bathroom accessories, which we transferred to the master bath, and replaced with lucite and chrome towel bars. I painted the mint green walls a light grey, and added a poodle theme. Most of the decor was purchased off of eBay.

Hope you like it! Thanks for your guidance so far!
Nancy

Thank you, Nancy! It is so interesting to hear from readers all over the country. Midcentury modern was not just a high falutin’ east and west coast designer phenom. Wonderful mid mod homes are are everywhere: Virginia, Texas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Maine, Illinois, Vermont, Ohio, California, New York. Oh yeah – Kansas, Florida, Kentucky, Indiana, Washington, Oregon. Construction exploded in America in 1946 – Retro renovators are everywhere, man, just like that in Johnny Cash song.

Categoriespink bathrooms
  1. Robyn says:

Hi Pat,
    I am sooooo sorry that I didn’t respond to your comment back in ’09 when you placed it. I hadn’t been back on this topic since I left my last comment until tonight. I hope you don’t think I was simply ignoring you. YES! I am interested in chatting with you about your folks former home in Ravensworth Farms! I have been expanding my research into that area and have run across some ads for the neighborhood that you might enjoy. I nearly fell out of my chair when I read your post, and I hope I’m not too late to get in contact with you. All of us Northern VA retro lovers should unite.
    Again, so sorry I didn’t see your post for so long.
    Robyn
    CrestwoodsSpringfield1952

2. Jan - Cincinnati says:

Wow! I am in process of updating the 1959 house my parents built. I lucked out with the robin’s egg blue bath off the master bedroom (6-yrs ago, Corian made the perfect counter top to fit in with the wall tile), but I’m having more trouble with the pink bath. The floor has settled and cracked — I would die to replace it with the same tile, which is exactly what is shown here! I’m a novice to the site. Would love any suggstions! The main fixtures (tub, toilet & sink) were never the right color for the pretty med. pink tile. In any case they are damaged — rusting and scratched. So I am replacing them with white. My wall tile is bordered in white, both top & bottom. I presume I will have to replace floor with white, too. Very sad. Half the bue bath’s floor had to be replaced, too, but was able to salvage the tile in the walk-in shower. Ah, well … ! I am so jealous if this bath! Beautifully done.

3. Shari says:

I have this same tile (color and pattern) in my bathroom. Mine looks dingy and dirty (even though it is cleaned often). Do you know of anything that will make this tile look clean again? Thanks for any help.

4. nancy says:

We have a flooring in both bathrooms that look like this, one in blue and one in green. It looks like tile but is a laminate I think. Our house was built in 1959. Do you know if it would contain asbestos?

5. pam kueber says:

Nancy — You need to get yourself your own properly licensed professional to check what is in the materials in your house.

6. Clifford Gadsden says:

I have the same bathroom floor. Does anyone know where you can get additional tiles like this?

7. Rick G says:

Not sure where you are Cliff , but I would check E-pay often & put a wanted ad on your local Kijiji & maybe something will come up. – good luck

8. Jeannee Waseck says:

I keep going back to those pink poodles, because – well, it’s like a little gift to my heart, you see! Growing up in the 60s, into the 70s, our main bathroom had wallpaper with pink and black poodles at a vanity … I literally cried and begged when my mother insisted it had to come down for something “more modern” – just like I did when she banished the comfortable, upholstered, art deco dinette set, for those nasty wooden captain’s chairs and table! Anyway … love, love, love this! and Glamorlux Nancy, please start a blog!